Mitsubishi Ceiling Fans Dilemma

stament

Wondered if anyone has any experience with the helicopter ceiling fans. Are they safe? My wife is a bit worried about having one and prefers to have the other type of fan. 

I understand her worries because if it does come off it could potentially kill someone with those metal blades!

Secondly, how about the effectiveness of both types?

Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

We have 3 84” helicopter fans and 6 other ceiling fans. They are all MrKen and are virtually silent and effective to keep the rooms air in motion. There are about 3 floor standing fans for spot use they are much more noisy and often get in the way.

Having assembled and fitted all the ceiling fans your wife’s worries are completely groundless, none of the fan blades have any chance of coming off and none of them need to be on a high enough speed to be dangerous, not to mention that any fan blade that was not secure would immediately be noticeably as the fan would no longer be balanced.

the smaller fans don’t use metal blades

4222D626-90AB-4579-90CB-CD0641269C5D.thumb.jpeg.52c4de6261d9e648b5c93f7960cf387f.jpeg096C5E4F-5DFB-4B82-A567-AB2C96FA0A89.thumb.jpeg.fa81cf99fb35da36890b8f9b60118b40.jpeg72C491C8-DF2E-4E3C-A1A4-1ECA1C7F448E.jpeg.8ec2a45ac87023cd38da9b2fca7d4efd.jpeg

Does the light on these fans produce enough light for the room or are the lights on these fans weak?

12 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Does the light on these fans produce enough light for the room or are the lights on these fans weak?

They are enough to light the room for normal use. The helicopter fans have 2 12W LED lights, but for workshop use I add several 100W and 50W LEDs for brighter than noon sun lights 

I prefer to have multiple sources of light that can be switched in as required 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Most ceiling fans have either a separate copper wire ( ground wire) and\or an aluminum safety wire that is hooked to the junction box. Either or both would prevent the fan from falling from the ceiling. Just be careful you don't jump up while enjoying random sex play and you would be fine 

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:40 AM, stament said:

Wondered if anyone has any experience with the helicopter ceiling fans. Are they safe? My wife is a bit worried about having one and prefers to have the other type of fan.

And you have been married HOW long..??

Have you learned nothing..??

Wife's preference would pretty much close this discussion before it even started.????

Other than that, been installing ceiling fans for many many years, never had or seen or heard of one falling from the sky or blades coming off.

Closest accident I saw was 40 odd years ago at local nightclub at new years eve...all full of p**s and bad manners......bloke had his girlfriend up on his shoulders prancing around when she was knocked off by a spinning blade.....bouncers were running around frantically trying to get her down beforehand but...... ambos came, gave her a clean bill of health.

13 hours ago, bluejets said:

And you have been married HOW long..??

Have you learned nothing..??

Wife's preference would pretty much close this discussion before it even started.????

Other than that, been installing ceiling fans for many many years, never had or seen or heard of one falling from the sky or blades coming off.

Closest accident I saw was 40 odd years ago at local nightclub at new years eve...all full of p**s and bad manners......bloke had his girlfriend up on his shoulders prancing around when she was knocked off by a spinning blade.....bouncers were running around frantically trying to get her down beforehand but...... ambos came, gave her a clean bill of health.

Sorry I am confused....what should I have learnt exactly? Appreciate the positive feedback.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:29 AM, macahoom said:

If installed correctly, they are perfectly safe.

I have had 14 of them in my house for the past 14 years. 

The closest I've come to death by fan was when a bird flew into the living room and was hit by a ceiling fan which was switched on. I was lying below it having a snooze on a sofa. The bird was stunned, fell down, bounced off my shoulder and then fluttered away.

They all have remote controls. Convenient, but they fail far too often and have to be replaced. I would go with wall controls if I was installing again.

We have 10 helicopter fans fitted with the standard Rf control and integrated smart switch.

Can use app or voice control in addition to the remote.

I am removing all my ceiling fans after 20 years of use.  They functioned safely, without any hint of dangerous problems.

Living on the beach maintenance and cleaning became a real nuisance.  Dust collects on my fan blades and if you don't clean them regularly, globs of moist rusted dust fling onto the walls.  And I have been painting the corroded metal blades with primer and paint.  It didn't work.  Tacky result, but better than brown rust.  The wood fan blades melted on me and drooped down, creating an unsightly affect.  So I had to rotate them where fan blades curved up.  The loud motor on my bedroom ceiling fan was too loud and squeeky to sleep.

Now  i use a little table fan.  Quiet, convenient, and it functions to move the airflow.  And replaced the ceiling hole with light weight led lights.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

I am removing all my ceiling fans after 20 years of use.  They functioned safely, without any hint of dangerous problems.

Living on the beach maintenance and cleaning became a real nuisance.  Dust collects on my fan blades and if you don't clean them regularly, globs of moist rusted dust fling onto the walls.  And I have been painting the corroded metal blades with primer and paint.  It didn't work.  Tacky result, but better than brown rust.  The wood fan blades melted on me and drooped down, creating an unsightly affect.  So I had to rotate them where fan blades curved up.  The loud motor on my bedroom ceiling fan was too loud and squeeky to sleep.

Now  i use a little table fan.  Quiet, convenient, and it functions to move the airflow.  And replaced the ceiling hole with light weight led lights.

All of your problems seem to be because of using cheap poor quality fans. Wood blades do not melt but patterned plastic does. A loud motor is a symptom of a cheap quality fan and the rust is because of a cheap steel enclosure.

TLDR buy cheap expect cheap quality 

10 hours ago, stament said:

Sorry I am confused....what should I have learnt exactly?

Off topic but since you asked............ if you want serenity, amongst other things, take what they propose.

Don't even hint at questioning their wisdom.

How did you even make it to this point in time...???

Edited by bluejets
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bluejets said:

Off topic but since you asked............ if you want serenity, amongst other things, take what they propose.

Don't even hint at questioning their wisdom.

How did you even make it to this point in time...???

I do wonder the same thing myself but from a different perspective. How has she out up with me for so long! ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stament said:

I do wonder the same thing myself but from a different perspective. How has she out up with me for so long! ????

There can only be one answer: -

$$$ :whistling:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

Buy a stepladder to wipe the blades every 3 months, replace the loud squeaky one, after 20 years, they probably need replacing anyhooooo............:stoner:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, transam said:

after 20 years, they probably need replacing anyhooooo............

Built here in '86....times were tough, interest rates 17 plus % , cost saving a must........fan in my office s/h GEC unit....still there and working fine today..... so not always the case with older/good quality gear.

There is really buggerall in a fan to fail anyhow.......have seen the odd bearing seize and fan left on for weeks without any damage.

• Thanks 1