Absurdity to a new level’ as Russia takes charge of UN security council

onthedarkside

image.png.a6f4572b5248c71c7053a0fd6798c790.png

In Ukraine, Moscow is pursuing an unprovoked war of aggression.

In The Hague, Vladimir Putin is facing an arrest warrant for war crimes, but at the UN, Russia is about to take charge of a powerful international body, the security council.

From Saturday, it will be Russia’s turn to take up the monthly presidency of the 15-member council, in line with a rotation that has been unaffected by the Ukraine war.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/31/absurdity-to-a-new-level-as-russia-takes-charge-of-un-security-council

image.png.faa773999be6e83ec2e7e7089247b042.png

Edited by metisdead
Topic title corrected.
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

In The Hague, Vladimir Putin is facing an arrest warrant for war crimes, but at the UN, Russia is about to take charge of a powerful international body, the security council.

From Saturday, it will be Russia’s turn to take up the monthly presidency of the 15-member council,

They should be frozen out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I wonder if any of the member country's delegates will walk out when the Russian member takes "the chair"!

Probably Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania.

We should not forget that the Soviet Union was one of the founding states of United Nations.

There is no United Nations without Russia.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

In Ukraine, Moscow is pursuing an unprovoked war of aggression.

i wonder...

(1)Fall of the Berlin Wall November 9, 1989 on the promise of not expanding Nato

(2) Putin's famous Munich Speech 2007,

(3) the Ukainian war or conflict started in 2014.

those are facts. i'm against any war,  but disapprove of the use of "unprovoked"

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

There is no United Nations without Russia.

...in other words, it is the end of life on earth as we know it today if Russia were to disappear. so instead of trying to start negotiations, the politicians launch themselves into a frantic race to send weapons, forgetting that the Ukrainians they claim to protect are and will also be victims

• Sad 3

As if the USA or UK, or any NATO nation (exempt Germany & France*) presiding is much of a difference:

Iraq - Afghanistan, as 2 y'all conveniently forgot.

Egypt, Syria, Libya as a couple other for your selective memory loss.

The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

* both against Iraq & Afghan invasion & occupation.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Absurdity to a new level’ as Russia takes charge of UN security council

The UN security council has been existing for over 70 years or so. During this time (and currently either) there have been hundreds of wars waged worldwide while the wars participants had been in charge of the said council. 

Did I miss a case that it hadn't be the case? 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did the President/Prime Minister of those countries have an arrest warrant out for them from the ICC?

UN & ICC is a failure, and to political to be taken seriously.

Fodder for MSM serving the ignorant masses.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Saanim said:

The UN security council has been existing for over 70 years or so. During this time (and currently either) there have been hundreds of wars waged worldwide while the wars participants had been in charge of the said council. 

Did I miss a case that it hadn't be the case? 

You miss that Putin's invasion of Ukraine in this day and age is in itself a new level of absurdity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

That's one way of avoiding the question.

Not avoiding, just feel no need to comment on the legitimacy of an organization I have no respect for.

How many resolutions have Israel ignored.   Bush & Blair/Iraq & Afghan, how many did their fake policy/war kill.  NO CHARGES filed.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

i wonder...

(1)Fall of the Berlin Wall November 9, 1989 on the promise of not expanding Nato

(2) Putin's famous Munich Speech 2007,

(3) the Ukainian war or conflict started in 2014.

those are facts. i'm against any war,  but disapprove of the use of "unprovoked"

I question your 1st point as a fact. there was no promise talked about or assured from nato to not expand, as affirmed by Gorbachev who signed the deal. the nato "promise" never happen, it is Putin's fabrication to gain sympathy for his invasion.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You've just avoided it again, here it is for you:

"Did the President/Prime Minister of those countries have an arrest warrant out for them from the ICC?"

If you don't want to answer it fine. But I was pointing out your flawed comparison to the UK and US.

As is yours, and proves my point.  Bush & Blair, no charges and walk free.

A2D .... Have a Nice Day

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You've just avoided it again, here it is for you:

"Did the President/Prime Minister of those countries have an arrest warrant out for them from the ICC?"

If you don't want to answer it fine. But I was pointing out your flawed comparison to the UK and US.

Yes i am sure Hague Invasion Act had nothing to do with decision to issue arrest warrants  or act on it or pursue it????

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

yes the very same one, repealed in what year? oh my bad, selective reading again, after all only 20 years later????

So its no longer in force then and the US has no protect that it gave previously. I thought I would note that for you. The UK has never had one by the way.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

So its no longer in force then and the US has no protect that it gave previously. I thought I would note that for you. The UK has never had one by the way.

indeed, lets deflect and brush away it was in force for 20 years just during the time US was busy killing thousands and more thousands and then some more thousands????

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BestB said:

indeed, lets deflect and brush away it was in force for 20 years just during the time US was busy killing thousands and more thousands and then some more thousands????

Can you tell me what your comments have to do with Putin's arrest warrant for the abduction of Ukraine children? Not for illegal invasion.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Can you tell me what your comments have to do with Putin's arrest warrant for the abduction of Ukraine children? Not for illegal invasion.

can you tell me why Putin is any different to American leaders who are responsible for the deaths of thousands of kids? and can you also tell me exactly what the crime is for evacuating kids from the war zone? that is assuming it was his decision to begin with? In case you wondering, its a rhetorical question, i have no doubt reply would be again some deflection and double standards

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

UN & ICC is a failure, and to political to be taken seriously.

Fodder for MSM serving the ignorant masses.

The ICC itself is an absurdity - beside the status of their jurisdiction - suffice to mention the outcome of their handling of a criminal case 4 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1