Bangkok Bank mobile app

Tried opening the app on my android phone last night and got a security alert message saying an unauthorized app had been detected on my phone. There was a box to click for more information but clicking that just made the screen blink and return to the same security alert. I have not downloaded any apps since I last successfully used the bank app. I phoned the help line and they mentioned turning accessibility off. Had a look in settings and am not sure what they are talking about.

Has anybody got/had a similar issue and if so how did you fix it?

i just opened the app and it needed to update, new version apparently, so try google playstore see if it needs updating, if that doesn't help restart the phone and see if it opens ok.

Maybe it can detect if you have a side loaded dodgy apk app

Screenshot_2023-04-01-11-10-36-189_com.android.vending.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

33 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I phoned the help line and they mentioned turning accessibility off. Had a look in settings and am not sure what they are talking about.

Same to me.

There is whole bunch of "accessibility" functions.

There are a couple of videos about it.

This one refers to Android 12. I have 13 and can't exactly reproduce what is described.

But this screenshot from the video would well explain that they don't allow the app to run with such feature on.

access.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i just opened the app and it needed to update, new version apparently, so try google playstore see if it needs updating, if that doesn't help restart the phone and see if it opens ok.

Maybe it can detect if you have a side loaded dodgy apk app

Screenshot_2023-04-01-11-10-36-189_com.android.vending.jpg

Checked for updates, several apps required it but not the bank app. Updated the apps, cleared cache in the bank app and restarted the phone. Issue is still there.

Screenshot_20230401-114539_BualuangM.jpg

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Same to me.

There is whole bunch of "accessibility" functions.

There are a couple of videos about it.

This one refers to Android 12. I have 13 and can't exactly reproduce what is described.

But this screenshot from the video would well explain that they don't allow the app to run with such feature on.

access.jpg

Watched the video and found the accessibility menu option and it is turned off. If the "click for more information" actually gave me more information I could uninstall the alleged problem app but it goes nowhere. I used the app on 26 March to top my phone up and have not altered any of the apps on my phone since. Thanks for the suggestions but looks like a visit to the bank will be required on Monday. 

38 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Checked for updates, several apps required it but not the bank app. Updated the apps, cleared cache in the bank app and restarted the phone. Issue is still there.

Screenshot_20230401-114539_BualuangM.jpg

What app wasn't downloaded from playstore? maybe TV movie app?

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What app wasn't downloaded from playstore? maybe TV movie app?

All apps on the phone are from playstore, no new apps have been added to the phone since the bank app worked last week when I topped my phone up. "Click for more information" just goes back to the security alert. I am not going to uninstall apps one by one and find out the bank app still doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestions but I think a visit to the bank will be required. Internet banking still works if I need it.

I have just uninstalled and reinstalled the app and the security alert comes up as soon as I try to open the app. Checked my phone software and am on Android 9, app should run on Android 7 and above. Managed to open a browser page using the click for more information. All in Thai but was basically telling you to uninstall the problem app but did not tell you which one it is.

Just uninstalled a few rarely used apps and it is working again. I can only assume that an app update must have caused the issue as all the uninstalled apps were from the playstore and have been on my phone for months. Unfortunately I was too lazy to check the bank app after each uninstall so am not sure which of the 5 or 6 apps was causing the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

1 minute ago, norbra said:

Check if PLAY PROTECT is loaded

Screenshot_20230401_131935_com.brave.browser.jpg

All apps were verified by play protect. Can only assume my bank app didn't like an update to one of the apps I uninstalled. Possibly an older app was no longer supported by playstore. 

3 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

All apps were verified by play protect. Can only assume my bank app didn't like an update to one of the apps I uninstalled. Possibly an older app was no longer supported by playstore. 

Have you done a play protect scan today? I did a scan on my phone "all apps from play store" which was wrong as I have a couple of apps that were not from playstore.

7 minutes ago, norbra said:

Have you done a play protect scan today? I did a scan on my phone "all apps from play store" which was wrong as I have a couple of apps that were not from playstore.

I have run a second scan and the report is all apps are safe

19 minutes ago, norbra said:

A scan was done at 7:30 this morning and all apps declared safe. Uninstalling several apps has fixed the issue. For some reason my bank app was unhappy with one of those apps.

1 minute ago, alanrchase said:

A scan was done at 7:30 this morning and all apps declared safe. Uninstalling several apps has fixed the issue. For some reason my bank app was unhappy with one of those apps.

Maybe the app found it difficult tracking your movements.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

This should tell you that the app is looking at everything on your phone. One reason I wont have the app on my phone.

I'm not sure I'd want a dodgy app on the phone that could somehow give away my banking app details so good BB checks i say

• Thumbs Up 2

The issue seems to have been caused by Avast mobile security web protector. I just did a scan after reinstalling the app and was prompted to turn web protector on. I checked the bank app afterwards and got the security alert again. Went into settings again and turned it off and the bank app works. Web protector is in the accessibility settings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Why have that cr@p, or anything similar, installed on a phone unless you are sideloading apps from dodgy sources?

I agree the phone should be clean of ify apps, My ify apps are on the tablet and tv box only where there's no important apps, files etc

8 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Why have that cr@p, or anything similar, installed on a phone unless you are sideloading apps from dodgy sources?

Avast is on my phone as an anti virus app. Should I not try and protect my phone from viruses? Maybe you know of a better one? I have never had any dodgy third party apps on my phone, they are all from the playstore, including Avast. As far as I am aware the web protector option in the app is to warn me about dodgy websites that could harm my phone.

On 4/1/2023 at 2:59 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not sure I'd want a dodgy app on the phone that could somehow give away my banking app details so good BB checks i say

One of the items you have to accept is Finger Printing. This can be used for good use but it can also be used to locate you anywhere in the world even if your phone is switched off. Think about it.

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 9:19 PM, JayClay said:

No. This should tell you that the app is looking at a list of installed apps on your phone.

Wrong but I like the idea. Look up fingerprinting, not using your finger print to log in that is different.

6 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

One of the items you have to accept is Finger Printing. This can be used for good use but it can also be used to locate you anywhere in the world even if your phone is switched off. Think about it.

Doesn't bother me one bit

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Wrong but I like the idea. Look up fingerprinting, not using your finger print to log in that is different.

I know what fingerprinting is, thank you.

However the claim was that "This [the fact that an app is blocking access based on another app being installed] should tell you that the app is looking at everything on your phone"

It doesn't. The only thing we can conclude from this isolated incident is that they are checking against a blacklist of applications. We can conclude nothing more from it in isolation. Nothing. You're free to speculate, and say something like "this could suggest that...", but stating it as a fact is like seeing the sun in the morning and concluding that it's not going to rain all week.

Also, fingerprinting isn't even close to "looking qt everything on your phone"

Edited by JayClay
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

I know what fingerprinting is, thank you.

However the claim was that "This [the fact that an app is blocking access based on another app being installed] should tell you that the app is looking at everything on your phone"

It doesn't. The only thing we can conclude from this isolated incident is that they are checking against a blacklist of applications. We can conclude nothing more from it in isolation. Nothing. You're free to speculate, and say something like "this could suggest that...", but stating it as a fact is like seeing the sun in the morning and concluding that it's not going to rain all week.

Also, fingerprinting isn't even close to "looking qt everything on your phone"

Have you read the list of things that the app wants access to? If not please do. It covers just about everything including messages, contacts etc.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Have you read the list of things that the app wants access to? If not please do. It covers just about everything including messages, contacts etc.

Actually it doesn't get access to anything on your phone.  People keep saying it reads all your information on your phone.

It has no permissions whatsoever.  See image.

Screenshot_20230404_142452_Settings.jpg

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with Bangkok Bank.  The solution for me on my Samsung Phone was to turn off the Norton Anti-Virus app on my phone.  So from now on in order to access the Bangkok Bank app on my phone I have first turn off the anti-virus app, access my account on the app, turn the anti-virus app back on. TIT and just another day in LOS.  

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I just got off the phone with Bangkok Bank.  The solution for me on my Samsung Phone was to turn off the Norton Anti-Virus app on my phone.  So from now on in order to access the Bangkok Bank app on my phone I have first turn off the anti-virus app, access my account on the app, turn the anti-virus app back on. TIT and just another day in LOS.  

Thanks for the info.    I discovered in my Samsung phone> settings> accessibility, I had it activated for SD MAID.

And like you, I have to turn it off to use Bbk app and then back on to use it.

Wrote to the developer with screenshot of the banking app security notice.   He said that this was nothing to do with him, but something the bank has done.

Seems a little OTT by the bank. Their app has no permissions and cannot be" "on top" and overlay other apps.

But I'm sure they have their reasons.