Police close in on Thai hacker claiming to have personal data of 55 million Thais

snoop1130

194A59A9-A548-4CC5-BF65-11C63CDD27AC.png

A Thai hacker, who claims to have acquired the personal data of about 55 million Thai people and who has extorted money from about 200 of them by threatening to reveal their personal information on social media, will soon be arrested by Thai cyber police.

Minister of Digital Economy and Society, Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn, told a press conference today (Monday) that they have obtained the real identify of the hacker, known as “9near.org” and are about to make an arrest.

Even though the hacker announced the cancellation of the plan to disclose the personal data, in the hope that police would not make the arrest, the minister said that police will proceed because the offenses have already been committed.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/police-close-in-on-thai-hacker-claiming-to-have-personal-data-of-55-million-thais/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

So what is the adult population of Tland?

The data must include foreigners cos seems to me 55 mill is a lot of people...

Yup. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

55 mill number supplied by TAT.????????

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Thailand population 71.6 million (2021 estimate), Adults (18+) 53.1 million (2019) 54.1 million (2020) Foreigners 2.5 million (2010)......55 million seems about right to me. If it's the Mor Prom info that's been hacked I'm listed in there. Could be a couple of bad weeks for Anutin after the Chuvit attacks and now his ministry's potentially been hacked. Last year there was another hospital hacking scandal so if it has happened again, well,.......... 

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

So, they want to arrest him as  he is better than them ? All about face

The minister said that he thinks the hacker’s motive is to discredit state agencies responsible for keeping the personal data of Thai people secure.

Unless the 'hacker' is lying then the information is already in the wild.

There's no way of knowing how many people he already sold the information to and these types are not to be trusted, ever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Even though the hacker announced the cancellation of the plan to disclose the personal data, in the hope that police would not make the arrest, the minister said that police will proceed because the offenses have already been committed.

Rather a weak defense.

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, they want to arrest him as  he is better than them ? All about face

The minister said that he thinks the hacker’s motive is to discredit state agencies responsible for keeping the personal data of Thai people secure.

More likely highlighting their failures.

11 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Population of Thailand 71.6 million (2021)

I guess that is Thais only.