Thailand drafts bill to decriminalize its billion-dollar sex trade

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

From the rows of massage parlors, pulsing night clubs and rowdy bars of Thailand’s gaudy red-light districts, the country’s billion-dollar sex trade operates all but in the open.

It must all be an illusion from what we've been previously told.

It doesn't exist.

44 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

The Police in Bangkok, Pattaya, etc., will be crying now. How will they be able to extort money from sex trade workers, bars, and whoever else each month when the law has been passed? 

Nothing will change in that respect. I've seen owners of legitimate businesses not connected with the sex trade making payoffs to police. I assume it's a form of protection to ensure the Thai mafia stay away.

Gambling breaks Thai law too, pa som sip is the Thai national card game played in all the rural villages.

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

The Police in Bangkok, Pattaya, etc., will be crying now. How will they be able to extort money from sex trade workers, bars, and whoever else each month when the law has been passed? 

Don't worry about them. They will find a way

2 hours ago, connda said:

That's a good idea.  Legalize it and regulate it.  And with the regulation of the trade, focus on ending human trafficking, especially under-aged minors.

Like many other things I doubt if they will set up an agency to regulate it. If it's going to be anything like 'regulating' (policing) the traffic then...you know what I mean. My guess is that the workers will get little aid but the the Taxman will be thinking 'shall we tax per ฿1000, by client or by service performed'...Wonder if VAT will be added?

• Haha 1