divorced but staying on marriage visa

17 hours ago, stoicccc said:

this was proven true few minutes ago ????

Very happy to hear that. Now please follow some of advices in this thread on how to avoid trouble in the future, should you need to deal with immigration again. All the best!

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Best of luck!

The OP exited yesterday....

Here is his post...

On 4/11/2023 at 8:59 AM, DrJack54 said:

You will be fine. 

"this was proven true few minutes ago ????"...

Seems his plan is to return visa exempt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, stoicccc said:

I don't understand why immigration would ask about marriage documents if I come back on a tourist visa or visa exempt? the NON-O visa based on thai spouse wouldn't be valid anymore

Especially if I come back with a new passport with a tourist visa on it

now i dont know if its the same thing for tourist visa or visa exempt. I came back with non-b work as i wrote. And in my EXTENSION she asked about my wife because she told me i left the country without any re-entry OR cancelling my visa AND i got a new visa type. That was the reason. There are many reasons i can think of why they want to see wife and marriage documents and one is: waht about people like you and me did? lol i think you got the answer.

im again not sure how to explain it im sorry but technically you didnt cancel your non-o marriage with normal ways but leaving the country without any reason. This is how it looks for them. In police they say dont listen or look at the people but the evidence. In this case simply all evidence shows you left the country without any reason and cancelled your non-o visa and plus your coming with a tourist visa.. 

so the chang wattana immigration told me ' we have to link or connect the visa' thats all the reason i can tell you. thats what she said. This might be to protect the wife? protect you? or people maybe using the visa till it expire because Amphue not inform the immigration?! yep.. you got it now. So trust me if you are not lucky they will follow it.

my mentioning this also mentioned by another post. just be careful trust me we were on the same boat.

On 4/11/2023 at 11:40 AM, DrJack54 said:

He is on the wrong bus.

Think referring to non O retirement. 

You are not 50 yet so that's not possible.

Your options eg tourist visa have been discussed in the thread.

An METV would be your best option giving you up to 9 months however that is normally obtained in your pp country. 

SETV is for quick easy option.

Can obtain from Laos, Vietnam etc. 

nope. im talking about non-o (wife) and what happened when i tried to changed it to non-b, as i clearly mentioned in my reply everything was almost same with the OP. so.. there is no way i confused with non-o retirement... if i was confused i wouldnt give the example what happened to me. 

I told what happened to me and gave him i think a good suggestion. no risks at all... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

Million thanks for all the feedback, help and support.

Have been reading every post diligently.
Will have an onward ticket booked and 20k baht cash at hand when arriving back to Thailand visa exempt.

The important thing was leaving before Immigration caught up with you. Future issues are now very unlikely. Phew! Long term, an Elite membership might be a good way to go. Short term, your idea of a Non Ed and associated extensions seems a good approach.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The important thing was leaving before Immigration caught up with you. Future issues are now very unlikely. Phew! Long term, an Elite membership might be a good way to go. Short term, your idea of a Non Ed and associated extensions seems a good approach.

Could they somehow retroactively punish me? Should I get a new passport just in case?

7 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

Could they somehow retroactively punish me? Should I get a new passport just in case?

Theoretically, it might be possible. If they do, a new passport would not help. As a practical matter, unless you seriously upset someone, the Thai authorities very rarely concern themselves with previous irregularities if you have regularised your situation. In your case, I am pretty sure they will appreciate that the technical overstay was an accident and let it go.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/10/2023 at 11:37 PM, Ohyesuare said:

As I understand it, once the divorce was finalized legally, your marriage visa became invalid irregardless of the expiry date of your current permission to stay so you are now on overstay and subject to a minimum one year ban and 20k fine depending on if you are able to leave voluntarily before being tracked down and arrested or not.

The same thing if you have a work permit but quit/get fired or an ED visa but stop studying.

I obtained a non O from a consulate based on marriage ( they didn't do them based on retirement- I'd have had to go to embassy to do that ), but when I got divorced I didn't leave and when the visa expired I got an extension based on retirement.

Perhaps I was lucky- who knows, after all, a non O is a non O whatever it's based on.

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

im again not sure how to explain it im sorry but technically you didnt cancel your non-o marriage with normal ways but leaving the country without any reason.

That's confusing. If one leaves the country without a re entry isn't the visa cancelled, and no one has to give a reason to leave Thailand.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

but when I got divorced I didn't leave and when the visa expired I got an extension based on retirement.

When the extension (based on marriage) was about to expire you changed to "based on retirement" ?

You were lucky since normally the wife would need to attend immigration with you. 

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's confusing. If one leaves the country without a re entry isn't the visa cancelled, and no one has to give a reason to leave Thailand.

The immigration officer asked me 2-3 times if I'm coming back before visa expiry and don't I want a re-entry permit because the visa is cancelled otherwise. She didn't write or mark or stamp the visa extension with anything but I certainly consider it cancelled.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

The immigration officer asked me 2-3 times if I'm coming back before visa expiry and don't I want a re-entry permit because the visa is cancelled otherwise. She didn't write or mark or stamp the visa extension with anything but I certainly consider it cancelled.

As mentioned earlier.

She was being helpful.

Folk sometimes forget that they need a reentry permit to keep their extension of stay valid.

You are home free now. 

Made good call

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

When the extension (based on marriage) was about to expire you changed to "based on retirement" ?

You were lucky since normally the wife would need to attend immigration with you. 

I never had an extension based on marriage. I got the non O based on marriage, but always extended based on retirement. Even the first time I got an extension there was no need for wife to front up , but I assume it said on the computer the non O was based on marriage.

You are exactly who immigration is trying to catch of people who abuse the marriage visa…

We have to jump thru all these silly hoops b/c of your actions that gives immigration to create overbearing and unnecessary protocol 

A fine, deportation but not b/f an extended destination stay with nightly visits from Somchai…

• Sad 4

On 4/10/2023 at 6:55 PM, stoicccc said:

They talked to her neighbour. 

I stopped reading the thread after this.

I'm guessing that your neighbor asked your ex-wife hey where is your husband? Is she replied, oh we divorce but we're on great terms blah blah blah. Then the neighbor grassed you out

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2023 at 1:18 AM, stoicccc said:

I would get a new passport given the temperament of the immigration officers these days.

I had a few questionable stamps nothing illegal but just confusing stuff at immigration in my passport. The stamps were all screw-ups by immigration. I was questioned about these for 5 years and even thereafter they still looked hard at those pages...

Appears you're legal now which is great congratulations. Nevertheless, when I'm back in my home country or find a convenient I would get a new passport

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Also for extensions based on marriage the permission of stay does not become invalid upon wife passing.

Yes it does, it is just that most immigration offices will let you have until the current extension runs out to sort out another permission to stay.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Yes it does, it is just that most immigration offices will let you have until the current extension runs out to sort out another permission to stay.

The extension is either valid or not.

Can't be half pregnant. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/910961-marriage-visawife-dieswhat-happens/

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The extension is either valid or not

It is at the senior IO's discretion, as are ALL extensions of stay. If the senior IO says you can stay after your wife passes, then it is valid, if however they say it is now invalid due to her passing, then it is invalid.

• Haha 2