Thai health authorities tell people to mask up if air pollution is bad at Songkran

webfact

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

And masking up would also be sensible in areas where the PM2.5 particulate matter was high.

He also warned about spending too long in the blazing sun.

This guy is clever. A candidate for the  next PM?

"And masking up would also be sensible in areas where the PM2.5 particulate matter was high."

??? That would be everywhere for us in Chiang Mai.  Also, what if I get doused with water?  This will surely ruin the mask I am wearing (what is this 2020 again).  Lately whenever the AQI below 200 it is a good day.  Wait I spoke to soon because the AQI is now 245 and we are just two days from the start of Songkran.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Sathit Pitutecha, assistant health minister, acknowledged that the pandemic had subsided but still recommended the wearing of masks in crowds.

Actually what this genius was reported as saying - according to the Thai language original - was "even though the Covid 19 situation has improved, masks are a must to protect against Covid 19 when in groups or doing risky activities". It then goes on about how people should take their elderly relatives to receive their 37th (okay, I made the number up) booster to improve their immunity.

Fools.

25 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Here’s the problem - it is incorrect information he is spouting

a mask as one sees in the hospital is a barrier structure used to keep germs of the user from the patient and 2nd reason is blocks blood and other fluid splashes of the patient to the provider 

A respirator aka N-95 is a tight fitting mask designed to filter out particles like smoke or TB particles..

in a work environment, one must be fit tested and trained to wear any type of respirator prior to use 

huge difference between a simple surgical mask and a true respirator

Bottom line - a lay mask is worthless vs smoke particles and Thai officials are not properly educating the public on what should be worn nor do they care to make a genuine effort to do so…

I believe the problem can be summarised thus:

Cost of solving problem - lots

Cost of suggesting people wear a mask - nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

I swear to God there are several hotties working at the 7-11 opposite from my condo.  Or maybe it is all in my head because I can’t see their faces. Stop with the damn masks!!!

and when u get that smile with just the eyes!!!!  oh buddha!  gotta be a real smile tho....ps send condo location--i need a toasty!

• Thumbs Up 1

Complete nonsense. Sugical masks do absolutely nothing when it comes to Omicron and as Omicron is about as bad as a cold for most people there is no need to wear a mask and as for pm 2.5 an N95 or similar mask is effective but only when worn 100% properly. Disposable masks are worthless for pm 2.5.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

I swear to God there are several hotties working at the 7-11 opposite from my condo.  Or maybe it is all in my head because I can’t see their faces. Stop with the damn masks!!!

Hear hear!

Come on CP Group, time to stop the ludicrous mask mandate for your staff.....

Your customers are now showing their faces again, time for the staff to smile again!! 

• Like 1

How Chiang Mai became the world’s most polluted city

Burning fields are blamed for hazardous levels of air pollution in northern Thailand but the government is doing little to act.

By Dominik Sipinski

Published On 12 Apr 202312 Apr 2023

Weenarin Lulitanonda is passionate about clean air.

“The air people are breathing in northern Thailand is cutting their life short by three, four years. It causes cancers, mental health issues, other problems. And almost no one is taking up the cause, there is so much passivity,” she told Al Jazeera.

Weenarin is the co-founder of Thailand Clean Air Network, an NGO, and a former World Bank economist.

Read more: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/12/how-chiang-mai-became-the-worlds-most-polluted-city https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/12/how-chiang-mai-became-the-worlds-most-polluted-city

"He also warned about spending too long in the blazing sun" ... And as an Australian, a white person living in a Brown mans Country ! and now having Porocarcinoma a potentially fatal skin cancer ! Well YES !!! I can back him on this ! ... As well as well ? Factor 50 Sun Block, even as environmentally unfriendly that stuff it apparently. ? ( Like it IS better then Dyeing ! ? Right ? )