Bitten by a rat by the moat

Mac Mickmanus

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never had a rabies jab, not had tetanus jabs for the past 40 years either.

Refused cancer investigations when I had the symptoms of cancer 2 years back.

I'm old, I've already had my life.

Never been bitten by a rat.

Have been bitten by rabbits, last time my vet offered me a rabies jab, I refused.

No reports of anyone catching rabies from rabbits or rats.

In 2012, a family of five was bitten by a rabbit bought from JJ market.

The rabbit later died and tested positive to rabies.

The family was given rabies shots.

Authorities suggested the infection may have come from local infected rats. 

The five  obviously didn't die because they followed medical protocol.

You're only 67 years old, if you were 87, I might consider your statement valid!

Rabies check on rabbits after family bitten (nationthailand.com)

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

No dispute that small mammals can catch rabies.

What I question, is can they then transmit rabies to humans.

And the answer appears to be no, or so infrequently it never gets reported.

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have posted a link in this thread about people catching rabies from rats and rabbits and as rats are not often caught after biting people and infecting them  and they run away , there are minimal reports of people catching rabies from rats

I don't believe you did post such a link ........... although I may be wrong.

25 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are wrong, look back to page 3 

And I'll repeat my post from page 3.

The academic pdf link clearly states, rh column just after 1/2 way down, no documented cases of rabies in humans after a rat bite has been documented. 

One of us is lacking in comprehension skills, hopefully it isn't me. 

Edited by BritManToo

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The academic pdf link clearly states, rh column just after 1/2 way down, no documented cases of rabies in humans after a rat bite has been documented. 

Advocating that posters go against medical advice represents poor judgement on your part, hopefully you wont repeat your newly acquired google knowledge for a third time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Advocating that posters go against medical advice represents poor judgement on your part, hopefully you wont repeat your newly acquired google knowledge for a third time!

CDC says no rabies vaccine required after rat bites. Can't find a higher medical advisor than them! 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

CDC says no rabies vaccine required after rat bites. Can't find a higher medical advisor than them! 

India, Bengal to be precise, takes a slightly different view:

*Bites by Bats or Rodents do not ordinarily necessitate rabies vaccination. However, in unusual circumstances cases may be considered for vaccination in consultation with an expert in the field of rabies. (Example: exposure to domestic rodents does not require PEP but if the rodent is wild then the bite victim may be considered for PEP in consultation with the expert). A mouse is usually a domestic rodent, but for a large size rat it is difficult to determine whether it is domestic or wild. Vaccination may be necessary in case of bite by such rats)".

https://www.wbhealth.gov.in/uploaded_files/IDSP/Animal_Bite_Management_Guideline_F.A_.Q_._.pdf

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

That is a reference to North America  and it isn't a reference to elsewhere in the World .

From your link

"Despite common belief, no rodent bites in North America have ever resulted in the transmission of rabies."

• Like 1

After a dog bite here a few years ago I was getting shots and I asked the doctor about the rabies risk from rat bites. She said this was extremely unusual and unlikely, and that the rat would have pretty much needed to been freshly bitten by a rabid dog for it to occur. The advice instead was to come in right away for a tetanus booster. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 6:43 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

You have a negative approval rating though .

27 000 posts and just a 15 000 approval rating .

Look at mine , well in plus .

To get a plus approval rating , just complain about people laughing at your posts and the fools respond by posting laughing emojis and your approval rating goes up  ???? 

Approval ratings are skewed toward the newer members. I can't remember when ratings started exactly, but it was after 2010, maybe 2012, so the older members will be lower by comparison.

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

After a dog bite here a few years ago I was getting shots and I asked the doctor about the rabies risk from rat bites. She said this was extremely unusual and unlikely, and that the rat would have pretty much needed to been freshly bitten by a rabid dog for it to occur. The advice instead was to come in right away for a tetanus booster. 

That would be because the rat would die of rabies soon after (within days) being infected with Rabies

On 4/16/2023 at 5:30 AM, LosLobo said:

In 2012, a family of five was bitten by a rabbit bought from JJ market.

So the family was carrying rabies and the rabbit died from biting them?

Huh, didn't see that one coming.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If a rat bites you, you have to get shot immediately. 

You do actually have three days to get the first shot

I don't dispute that, read what my comment actually stated...with a touch latent humour.   I did not write that "you have to get a shot immediately".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Everyone knows that the benches along the moats in inner CM city are full of homeless, rats and more. Not to mention LB's sometimes later at night. Would never sit there, specially not as you said you saw rats biting trees beforehand lol.

Shuuussh , what happens on the benches stays on the benches 

On 4/16/2023 at 8:04 PM, BritManToo said:

You haven't provided evidence to support your claim 

The CDC advice that you quoted was given to pet rat owners in the USA .

Your wrong advice could cause people to die , as rat bite victims in Thailand may now not get vaccinated against rabies and this could cause them to contract the disease , which is certain death for them 

Rats can and do carry the rabies virus and humans getting bitten by a rabid rat can cause them to contract the disease as well 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2023 at 3:53 PM, BritManToo said:

Do you obsess about being hit by lightning?

No, well you should as it's more common than catching rabies from rats.

During thunder storms I do not stand under trees due to the numerous instances of people being electrocuted to death standing under trees during thunder storms .

I suppose that you stand under trees during storms and tell everyone that its quite safe and electrocution doesn't happen standing under trees during storms .

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

During thunder storms I do not stand under trees due to the numerous instances of people being electrocuted to death standing under trees during thunder storms .

I suppose that you stand under trees during storms and tell everyone that its quite safe and electrocution doesn't happen standing under trees during storms .

I stay at home during storms (once I've secured my rabbits).

More about not getting wet than fear of lightning.

Edited by BritManToo

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No sign of it so far , but I did wake up this morning with some swelling (which is a sign of rabies ), which doesn't happened often 

Stick some ice on it or hit it with a pencil, will soon go down.

5 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Stick some ice on it or hit it with a pencil, will soon go down.

I have sent a message to a ladyboy friend and I will ask whether she's able to extract the fluid that is causing the swelling , she is quite good at that sort of thing 

• Love It 1

On 4/11/2023 at 6:43 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

You have a negative approval rating though .

27 000 posts and just a 15 000 approval rating .

Look at mine , well in plus .

Not conclusive.  You must post high school gpa and basketball shooting percentage for your junior year.  Only with that data can valid comparisons be made.

• Haha 1