These are the top places for expats to settle, according to a new survey

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Bahrain and Dubai?

I'm assuming only Arabs could have conducted the survey, no-one else could possibly come up with such nonsense.

Im quite sure this is for expat workers with necessary skills well paid as well. Live in an Arab country with resources is quite comfortable and safe, and their education system is quite good if you bring your family.

Many things in Arab countries is quite good, in comparison to Asian countries. Not just black and white.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im quite sure this is for expat workers with necessary skills well paid as well. Live in an Arab country with resources is quite comfortable and safe, and their education system is quite good if you bring your family.

Many things in Arab countries is quite good, in comparison to Asian countries. Not just black and white.

Well my experience was working in Kuwait and things were more or less Black and White there.  The best times were the days I spent in Dubai, Doha or Manama.  Pretty much anything one wanted and could afford was available in Dubai.  But in the end I turned down a job in Dubai because I just got tired of living in that part of the world.  It is not for everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Lucky Bones said:

Or any air conditioned plaza.

Clever to do that.????????

I am  tired of artificial aircon rooms. I like fresh air coming through windows. Not recycled mold and constant buzzing then to enter outside and feel a blast of heat.

9 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Well my experience was working in Kuwait and things were more or less Black and White there.  The best times were the days I spent in Dubai, Doha or Manama.  Pretty much anything one wanted and could afford was available in Dubai.  But in the end I turned down a job in Dubai because I just got tired of living in that part of the world.  It is not for everyone. 

It comes down to your motivation for living one place. Work or pleasure, and of course the different Emirate states itself, or country. 

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

You are probably correct for expats with high-end skills. Permit me to doubt an expat retiree would even give those localities a second thought.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:40 AM, Rimmer said:

Don't know about Bahrain, been there many times on business but never lived there.

Lived in UAE for five years, it was good back then when they were still developing the place and building everywhere but too darn hot in the summer months also got tired of sand everywhere.

Lived in Singapore for 22 years, had a business visa and it was easy, back then 2.5m people now near 5m I think, I had the best of it and wouldn't go back there to live, just too crowded.

You can't ever go back.

Never listen to surveys. It's all just someone else's opinion. There could be one spot in the world that works for you that no one else would like. Surveys are like sports talk shows on TV/Radio. Just someone else's opinion. Meaningless in every way.

17 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Seems Thailand is too hot! For most expats they congregate in Pattaya, Hua Hin or Chiang Mai.

Pattaya's been plenty hot lately.  I think lots of retirees gravitate to beach towns, and not just in Thailand.  The Carolinas and Florida, as well as other states, have plenty of retirees who have retired by the sea.  Pattaya has been popular--and continues to grow--because it checks a lot of retiree expat boxes:  good year-round weather; good health care choices; good shopping and services; good housing choices, both in the variety of housing types and pricing; good proximity to an international airport; good proximity to a major city; good international mix of expats; and good recreation and entertainment choices.

• Like 1

A lot of retiree's want a cheap version of Florida. Pattaya is low-end cheap Floria, Bahrain would be more expensive cheap Florida.

That's why Mexico with its great beaches never makes the list. It's cheap Florida, but with more Mexicans, which what the Cheap Floridians are determined to avoid.

Some also want to move to cheap Vancouver/Seattle. Otherwise known as Singapore.

They should let American retire to England, which they think of as cheap New England.

• Haha 2

On 4/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, sqwakvfr said:

I would love to live in Singapore  but I'm just lacking the $500,000 in my account.

I’d like to live there as well, but, IIRC, there are no visa options for retirees.

On 4/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, LaosLover said:

Some also want to move to cheap Vancouver/Seattle. Otherwise known as Singapore.

You seem to be not up to date with the price level of Singapore compared to Vancouver.  It is not cheaper, but much more expensive for most things (excluding restaurants)

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Singapore&city1=Singapore&country2=Canada&city2=Vancouver