Aircon struggling this hot weather.

giddyup

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

I keep all the curtains drawn in the bedroom to try and insulate as much as possible but the aircon is struggling to reduce the temp. by much.

You could try giving the filters a clean, usually quite easy if you can work out how to get the cover off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Probably from the Daikin calculator on the website.

They suggest 18K btu for 18 - 22 sq metres.

That's rather over-size compared with the standard Thai guesstimate of 600-700 BTU / m2 which tends to err on the big side.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You could try giving the filters a clean, usually quite easy if you can work out how to get the cover off.

It's getting the darned cover back on that usually stumps me ???? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Denim said:

I have put plastic whiteboards up behind the window plus curtain shut. I have even put some fake brick sheets up on one wall because they are foam backed and I thought might help the air conditioner a wee bit by keeping the cool air away from the wall.  Think the stuff is naff but this hot spell has a long way to go.

yyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

You really need to put anything like that, preferably silvered, outside the window, preventing the energy from even entering the living space.

Silvered, plastic shutters outside would be the real deal.

23 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

You really need to put anything like that, preferably silvered, outside the window, preventing the energy from even entering the living space.

All our windows are covered in mirror finished film except the bedroom as it made it too dark. But yes....something outside would be better. Maybe I could nail the mother in law spread eagle on the outside over the window but later the nail holes would need filling. Alternatively , Louvered French windows would look better . Something to consider.

• Haha 1

We have Trane ceiling-mounted AC units and they don't seem to have any problem coping with the heat.

I can say for definite that the "blackout" curtains that we had fitted in the bedroom, with a reflective silver lining, make a noticeable difference. You only have to open them during the day, to feel the radiant heat flooding in through the window.

We only put the AC on when we actually go to bed at night - the room cools down within five minutes and we have it set to go off automatically at 4:30 am (used to be 2:30 until about the end of last month). The room stays pleasantly cool until morning.

In the daytime we don't use AC at all, just floor fans. Our house does have a lot of trees around it providing shade, good thick walls and we usually get a nice breeze from the beach so that helps (though not so much just recently as even the breeze feels hot after about 9 am).

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

52 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Majority of our glass windows & doors are facing due east, so get direct sunlight.  Most for only 2ish hours, as after 0800-0830, shaded by extended roofing.

Have interior curtains, blocks sunlight, but can feel some heat in between window & curtain.   Not enough to be concerned about though.

19 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Lot of the problem is how most Thai houses are built

A single brick wall, so no insulated gap.

On a brutal heat day I can feel my interior walls radiating heat, so AC is always going to struggle.

I can contrast that to our US house where either brutally cold or brutally hot the AC or the heat isn't fighting the external walls

It goes back to a combination of a lack of vision, the willingness to save money today, and forsake tomorrow, and cheap contractors trying to squeeze every last baht out of their customers. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

It goes back to a combination of a lack of vision, the willingness to save money today, and forsake tomorrow, and cheap contractors trying to squeeze every last baht out of their customers. 

Everything is built to a price. You won't get double brick and good insulation in a 4 million baht house. Ten months of the year I don't have a problem with the heat, but this year seems especially hot.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Everything is built to a price.

Absolutely.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You won't get double brick and good insulation in a 4 million baht house.

You very easily can, though AAC blocks are better, as long as the size isn’t too big.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

Absolutely.

You very easily can, though AAC blocks are better, as long as the size isn’t too big.

I guess if I wanted the nightmare of contracting to build my own house a lot of those things could be specified, but like most people I bought a newly constructed house, as is, and generally speaking it's been a pretty sound house, but it has it's limitations.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Everything is built to a price. You won't get double brick and good insulation in a 4 million baht house. Ten months of the year I don't have a problem with the heat, but this year seems especially hot.

And yet, our house was contracted for 1.1 mill (131 m²), with no problems dealing with the heat.         

2 ACs, (13 & 24BTUs) handling 106 m², effortlessly.

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And yet, our house was contracted for 1.1 mill (131 m²), with no problems dealing with the heat.         

2 ACs, (13 & 24BTUs) handling 106 m², effortlessly.

Is that in Pattaya?

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Is that in Pattaya?

NO ... PKK and < 4 kms from the surf.

You couldn't give my a house in Patts to live in.  Don't think I could think of a worse place to live.

I'm a thrifty shopper, as had quotes 3X that.  Experienced RE investor, and know what the prices should be.

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

NO ... PKK and < 4 kms from the surf.

You couldn't give my a house in Patts to live in.  Don't think I could think of a worse place to live.

I'm a thrifty shopper, as had quotes 3X that.  Experience RE investor.

Guess you haven't visited or lived in East Pattaya (darkside.)

Pattaya is not just Pattaya city central.

Wonderful area.????????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pink Mist said:

Stay hydrated is the key. Now that the hot weather is here we carry our water packs with us when we go out.  They start out as frozen, but by the time we need water it is just cool water.....33c now feels like 44c....ugh.

Screenshot_20230412_165337_WeatherBug.jpg.0c3adc911306e8eb1fcae5869938382f.jpg

I'll see your 44°, and raise you 7°

That's the hottest I've notice here, last week-ish, and 1 hr S of HH.

image.png.269b0c419453f4f8d9eaa78f8459805a.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Personally I enjoy the warm weather.  We've not long come back from Udon. Our house there has no A/C just a fan. Built from Q-Con block with good roof overhangs and trees around. During the day I sit outside under a gazebo, or we're off out to a coffee shop or restaurant.

Right now I'm at the condo near Pattaya (Pratamnak). Its on highish ground so there is usually some breeze. We have two small balconies and if I leave the doors open there is a pleasant breeze through the condo. Its very comfortable.

We also have ceiling mounted Daikin A/Cs. No idea of BTU but them seem very powerful. Will drop the room temp to 27deg within a few minutes.  Just use them at night to cool the place a little before bed and then switch to the ceiling fan.

We walk outside morning and evening. This weather is why I came to Thailand. Spent Christmas and New Year in the UK and the cold weather was torture!

Edited by HauptmannUK

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Guess you haven't visited or lived in East Pattaya (darkside.)

Pattaya is not just Pattaya city central.

Wonderful area.????????

Exactly, that's where I live.

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Always keep your air con clean. Clean the filters at least once every two weeks, and have the entire unit broken down and deep cleaned every six months, and have them check the coolant every time. 

Agreed.  Clean the filters at last once a month and with pets deep clean every 4 months and check for "gas".   Makes a world of difference.  Filters are super easy to clean.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'll see your 44°, and raise you 1°

That's the hottest I've notice here, last week-ish, and 1 hr S of HH.

It's so much hotter this year here. Just looked at my excel spreadsheet I do, yes I am a stat freak, and we are averaging 3 degrees hotter every day over last year, plus the humidity is up.

• Thumbs Up 1