Notorious Aussie drug lord sentenced to 20 years in jail

webfact

image.jpeg

by Bob Scott

The notorious head of a South Australian drug-trafficking network has been sentenced to almost 20 years in jail.

Robert Gordon Pollybank Gee, the alleged drug lord, was sentenced yesterday in the District Court for drug charges dating back to 2006, ABC News reported.

image.jpeg

Gee being questioned by Royal Thai Police in 2016.

The court heard how the 64 year old was a pivotal figure in the operation of a drug-trafficking network which illegally imported large quantities of cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA and LSD, according to the District Court’s verdict.

The court heard that Gee was among five men apprehended at Bar Funk on Bangla Road in 2016 by Patong Police and the Tourist Police, as well as the Australian Federal Police. Police tracked their actions using mobile phones and surveillance, resulting in the acquisition of evidence.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/notorious-aussie-drug-lord-sentenced-to-20-years-in-jail

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Why just 20 years and not life in prison?

"The court heard how the 64 year old was a pivotal figure in the operation of a drug-trafficking network which illegally imported large quantities of cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA and LSD"...... did they really need to add the word "illegally"? Is there such a thing as legal drug-trafficking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

This is from the ABC   

He was arrested for passport offences in 2016 and spent more than four years in a Thai jail, where his health deteriorated.

Police applied for his extradition at the end of the sentence and Gee was returned to Australia in 2020 and went on trial.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-13/drug-trafficker-robert-gee-sentenced-to-20-years-in-jail/102218204

True, but this is to do with his sentencing and jailing

Edited by Aussie999

23 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

At age 64 I wonder why this guy hadn't retired and moved to another country to be safe from prosecution. Most likely he had plenty of money. Greed is an amazing thing. 

Stupidity is even more amazing..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

This is a poorly written article, it didn't make sense, first it mentioned "District" court, then reported by ABCNews (Aussie, not the US ABC) so I followed the link, he was deported to Australia, where he was convicted and jailed, a much more "comfortable" new "home" than a Thai prison.

Nice retirement I imagine with medical and dental free and free food and boarding! Time off for good behaviour might not even come close to doing 10 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

At age 64 I wonder why this guy hadn't retired and moved to another country to be safe from prosecution. Most likely he had plenty of money. Greed is an amazing thing. 

He tried that on a forged PP and came here and got nicked, after all he is Ozzy. :giggle:

5 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

This is a poorly written article, it didn't make sense, first it mentioned "District" court, then reported by ABCNews (Aussie, not the US ABC) so I followed the link, he was deported to Australia, where he was convicted and jailed, a much more "comfortable" new "home" than a Thai prison.

well get him right back here

1 hour ago, FarAway said:

The issue of people consuming drugs is not the availability of drugs, but the social problems being the reason they wanna take drugs.

This guy did not ruined many lives, he just made a fortune supplying drug-addicts with their stuff that they would have gotten otherwise. Just because it is illegal, you can see on the example of Cannabis in Thailand that just the illegal status makes people like him rich, not the drugs themselves.

Even in countries with the strictest drug laws addicts will find drugs. If they cannot find any, they use deodorant spray, glue and stuff like this to forget about the reason why they take drugs.

Taking drugs is just a symptom for an underlying problem and drug addicts should be treated, not criminalized. 

Sure drug dealers are often not the nicest bunch of people, but saying they are "ruining lives" is too simple.

The lives of the addicts are ruined already and they wanna take drugs to forget about that. If they cannot find Weed/Meth/Heroin/Cocaine whatsoever, they will search for and find even more dangerous drugs/chemicals.

Legalize ALL drugs and you will not see anything like this here anymore. But then the BIG BOSSES of the world will not make their billions anymore ????

so just legalise everything that is illegal - is that your solution ?, just bin all laws for everything - a utopia for criminals and evil people - where are you going to put all the bodies 

just nonsense

13 hours ago, smedly said:

so just legalise everything that is illegal - is that your solution ?, just bin all laws for everything - a utopia for criminals and evil people - where are you going to put all the bodies 

just nonsense

What are you even talking about? You drank too many beers?

Everything that is illegal? I was specifically talking about substances.

Obviously murder and all other stuff like that should and need to be punished heavily by law.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nonsense, LSD probably helped many people in life. 

Cocaine, Ecstacy  -  nowhere near as bad as say booze, which ruins many lives, and  families

Do you know many who abused lsd? Cocain and extasy? 

I know quite a few through extreme sport environment. I would not claim it is less bad than booze. Any stimuli abused is a bad stimuli.

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Do you know many who abused lsd? Cocain and extasy? 

I know quite a few through extreme sport environment. I would not claim it is less bad than booze. Any stimuli abused is a bad stimuli.

I know alcoholics that have been cured by LSD. Actually, the founder of AA took it to help depression. 

Syd Barret got <deleted> up on LSD but for most it's harmless. 

Cocaine, yes, it can be bad. I know some who abused crack, cocaine is very expensive for most people. 

Ekkies, pretty harmless compared to other drugs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1