One motorcyclist dead every hour - RTP turn to cute cop to get bikers/pillion passengers to wear helmets

webfact

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Amazing Thailand did a good job of getting people to ware a mask, why not helmets? I also think them helmets for a couple hundred Baht should be banned 

Agreed. Taking a rubber gun to a knife fight. Utterly false security.

In that sense they are not 'better than nothing', and that assumes they use the chin/neck strap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Amazing Thailand did a good job of getting people to ware a mask, why not helmets? I also think them helmets for a couple hundred Baht should be banned 

I know, amazing isn't it?

They are still wearing masks, even now!

Yet, no helmets. Splat!

I think it's not considered cool to wear a helmet.

You remember when you were a kid and you were embarrassed to be seen in a bicycle helmet? I think Thais are like that.

Adolescents. Country of adolescents.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

C'mon, man!

This ain't rocket surgery!

Enough with the photo shoots and "bewareness" campaigns.

Just enforce the damn laws.

Is that so hard?

between 210,700 and 230,000 rtp officers

registered  motorbikes on Thailand 21,452,050 .
no way to enforce

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's hot!

I wear a helmet because it protects my head and I am used to it.

But having the wind in the hair and no helmet feels a lot better.

It's a lot easier to get used to a mask. Personally I don't use them anymore since maybe 1/2 year or longer.

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Thai culture has promoted mask wearing for years. Same with not wearing helmets. There is absolutely no need to wear a mask at this time yet they still wear them faithfully in Chanthaburi. There is every reason to wear a helmet yet they just don't get it.

• Like 1

Dear RTP, when will you learn and after ovr 30 years as a Police Officer you need to do TWO THINGS

1   Enforcement 24/7....365 days a year

2  Education .

Not difficult , but I will say I see Motorcyclists some wearing your Uniform almost weekly riding WITHOUT A HELMET  . so the RTP should always practice what it preaches .

• Like 1

If they don't make people uphold the Law ,Never will anything change .

The way to do this is to get the Government to Make the Police to do their job 24/7

We all know that's a big Laugh and it won't happen.So nothing will change in the next 50/100 years.

3 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

It's sad that so many people have to die because of riding any type of a motorcycle. I blame the police 100%. They come out with all these different rules & laws that would help bring down the accidents, but none of the laws work, because the POLICE NEVER enforce them. Yes, I know they love performing check points, but that only cures a small percent of the problems. I think they need to earn their money and start patrolling. Pull everyone over that is breaking the law. Just the other day I seen two policemen on a motorbike stopped at a red light and three motorbikes that were next to them, their riders had no helmets on at all. Another motorbike had three passages riding on it. What did the police do = NOTHING... as always. I feel they will always have this problem, until the police change the way they do things.

They can ultimately only effectively police by consent. I do not need a policeman to make me wear an Arai full face helmet and gloves,even for a 1 kilometer journey and if a light/indicator goes out it’ll be fixed within the hour - self preservation is my only motivation. If Thais aren’t motivated by that then their cheap heads deserve the impact with the road coming their way…

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Road Warrior said:

nice idea .but wont work with Thais- sadly .it seems foreigners are copying thai drivers !!!!!!!

Recently returned from Phuket. Amazed at the number of farangs ,where wearing helmets in their own country would be de rigeur ,hooning around helmetless /shirtless as though the laws of physics (and their insurance!) would suddenly be suspended during their holiday. Morons! ????‍♂️ 

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I tend to agree with you. But, really, the people to blame for motorcyclists dying due to not wearing a helmet are those who do not wear a helmet. THAT is the root cause of them dying, not the police being too lazy to enforce the law.

I understand what you are saying, But I feel if the police did their job and went out and hit the streets and pulled people over for breaking the law. Then people would start following the law. Right now why should they follow the law, as no one enforces it. By enforcing the law, it educates the people to follow the law.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

She is a pretty girl but I would prefer 10,000 police on the road doing their job!

She's very average.  

If there were 10,000 Police doing their jobs there would be uproar from the populace saying they can't afford proper helmets, you can't get helmets for very young kids, you can't have 3 or 4 people on a small bike if they are wearing helmets.... etc etc  

At the end of the day too many people just can't afford the luxury of safety and if the law is relaxed for them (which it is time and time again), then the law gets relaxed for everyone. 

6 hours ago, GuyDow said:

I guess the ladies are far too cute to follow the recommendation to wear full face helmets. 

Certainly better than what the majority (don't) wear. 

2 hours ago, markclover said:

A simple AI camera next to the overhead street signs.  They got your face without a helmet on and the license number then an automatic fine sent to the address.  The retards will learn fast.

Just arrived in Thailand by any chance? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Howabout a big fine for not having a working rear light?

Even in Bangkok this can be a very big problem after dark.

In other provinces you can guarantee almost 1 in 3 motorbikes have lighting issues.

and just how is someone going to know if they are riding their bike in the dark and their tail light goes out?

I slept on this overnight and my thoughts are Thailand will just never solve any problem.  While I love cute girls and these gals qualify, they do look like some surgeon was involved on their faces.   

Why not just start enforcing the laws and stop drivers who break the laws.  In BKK in sukumvit you can watch any intersection and see numerous violations each light cycle.  Like others said a cop could be right there and drivers still sneak or run red lights.   The idea of using models to encourage safe and legal driving exhibits Thai thinking.   And these models are using helmets different than they are trying to promote.  Utterly stupid. 

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

In Pattaya I saw a lot of motorcyclists wearning masks and no helmet. It was actually quite funny to see a family of 3 or 4 on a motorcycle, all wearning masks and no helmet.

It seems that the police in Pattaya are more concerned about the safety of foriegners in that they tend to target them in the tourist areas. An awful lot of Thai people don't wear them and just ride on past the police with no helmet. Maybe the police feel sorry for issuing their Thai countrymen with such large fines and just let them be.

I thought the fine was 1000 baht. When did they raise it to 2000 baht?