Montana becomes first US state to pass ban on TikTok

Social Media

Montana has become the first US state to pass legislation banning TikTok on personal devices.

TikTok, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, has been accused of posing a national security risk through data gathered from users.

If signed into law by Governor Greg Gianforte, the ban could come into effect in January.

The company has suggested that it would take legal action to fight the Montana bill.

The bill, known as SB 419, passed by a vote of 54 to 43. It cites a number of concerns about TikTok, including alleged surveillance from the Chinese government.

• Thumbs Up 1

Next up ... a revised version of the 'Restrict Act' that would get pass the vote.

1984 ... better keep that 2nd Amendment ... you're going to need it.

Pay attention ... stop being 'DISTRACTED'

FREE THOUGHT ... to be banned in the not to distant future.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Are they going to go around arresting the hundreds of thousands of kids in Montana who use TikTok on their phones?  The only good thing about this over-reaction is the negative effect it will have on Republicans in the next election.

They'll probably just restrict ISPs from providing it.  It's just the beginning.

Y'all need to Google 'Restrict Act'.   In present stand alone form, won't pass the vote, IMHO, unless it's snuck in on another piece of legislation, and a common practice.

Of course you're not reading or hearing much about it in the MSM.  If so, only mention TikTok, and not what it really means if instituted.   Trump is so much more important, so keep talking about that ????

Why I only read MSM for the comic relief.   Better news sources for better info.  I'd link it here, but not allowed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Strange post...why knock it, or perhaps you don't use it and are going on hearsay.  Its an excellent app, that you can tailor to your own needs.

Indeed. I don't use it myself (much), but it's very popular with the young.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I would have thought the same when I was under 30 if such existed. I'm against social media in general, and things like tik tok in particular.

I understand, but being against technological and media developments is really just a sign of age. I remember my mother being against watching TV and there were similar alarms about kids playing video games.  I'm not a fan of some social media either, especially Tiktok, but banning it will never be the solution.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I understand, but being against technological and media developments is really just a sign of age. I remember my mother being against watching TV and there were similar alarms about kids playing video games.  I'm not a fan of some social media either, especially Tiktok, but banning it will never be the solution.

I would say that the alarms about kids playing vdo games was well founded, going by what has happened since they were invented.

Seeing as it's impossible to prevent a particular age group watching on line, a ban is the only practical solution IMO.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I would say that the alarms about kids playing vdo games was well founded, going by what has happened since they were invented.

Seeing as it's impossible to prevent a particular age group watching on line, a ban is the only practical solution IMO.

If you really believe it is that much of a problem, you'd need to ban all social media.  Most people have problem with TikTok because of its link with China, not because of any damage it may cause to its users.

My Isaan wife spends an awful amount of time on TikTok.

Seems to have great fun watching all sorts of content. Cute dogs, sexy fashion.

I'm sure she must have already a really thick personal "dossier" somewhere in the CCP files in China. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:21 PM, Social Media said:

TikTok, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, has been accused of posing a national security risk through data gathered from users.

Land of the Free???? Innocent until proven guilty????

Used to be a Red Under the Bed. Is there a new Chinese idiom? 

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you really believe it is that much of a problem, you'd need to ban all social media.  Most people have problem with TikTok because of its link with China, not because of any damage it may cause to its users.

I'd ban social media in a heartbeat if I could.

I guess they don't ban them because they earn certain people loadsacash. It's all about money these days.