Success with Xatral (Alfuzosin) or not?

giddyup

Doctor at BPH wanted me to try Xatral 10mg first before any kind of surgery, so taken in for nearly a month without any noticeable improvement in urine flow, so should I continue to take it for another month? I have to see the doc again in June.

And how much do you pay for it? Local pharmacy wanted 1200 baht for one month supply (30), but I'm pretty sure it was cheaper than that at Fascino.

Unlike finasteride, which takes time to have an effect, this class of drug works rapidly. If you are not seeing any improvement after a month you likely won't later and  should go back to doctor now.

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unlike finasteride, which takes time to have an effect, this class of drug works rapidly. If you are not seeing any improvement after a month you likely won't later and  should go back to doctor now.

The literature says to expect an improvement after a month, pretty sure that's what the doc told me as well. A Google search says same thing.

Edited by giddyup

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Did you have more luck with something else or did you opt for surgery?

My NZ doctor did recommend Flomax and that had a little bit of an effect, which seemed to wear off after a while so I stopped taking it. About a year later I noticed blood in my semen and as a urologist had already told me that my prostate "looked a bit ragged", I thought I'd better get something done about it, so I opted for a TURP, done at Epworth Hospital in Melbourne.

I could have gone back to NZ and had it done on my health insurance at the time, which I wish I had have done, but opted for Epworth because my sister and brother-in-law lived in Melbourne and I could stay with them, and also because when I asked for laser surgery for this TURP, the urologist there said that he could do it. 

But I'm afraid he told a porky pie, because the day before the operation I asked again to make sure I was having the laser surgery and he said he would only use the laser if he thought it was very necessary after doing some sort of exploratory of the prostate!

I know quite a few guys who had the TURP using the old-fashioned gold standard procedure, and they have come out of it well, but I had a few hiccups along the way what with urine retention and having to wear a catheter for a few weeks, and also it appears that there was some scarring around the bladder neck which I had to have operated on a few years after here in Thailand, because again my bladder wasn't emptying properly.

After the original TURP, I was eventually able to pee properly, and there was no sign of retrograde ejaculation, so overall I was happy about it.

However when the inability to urinate fully came back whilst I was in Thailand a few years later, a supposedly top urologist told me that I had some scarring of the bladder neck and that was what was causing it, so it needed to be removed, and there would be no after effects/side-effects – – another porky because after that operation I suffered from retrograde ejaculation and still do to a certain extent, although occasionally it works at about a 30% rate.

Luckily at age 76 I'm not a "rampant rabbit" so I get by on that side of things, however as you will probably have read, I still have to use a catheter every night before I go to bed to empty the bladder because that has ceased to work – – and even the top urologist in Bumrungrad doesn't know why.

Despite all of this I am a relatively happy chappy. However there is one proviso that I will add here, and which I've already stated elsewhere, and that is if I had my choice over again, and if the Urolift was available, then that's what I would have, and I would even travel to another country to have it done.

34 minutes ago, xylophone said:

My NZ doctor did recommend Flomax and that had a little bit of an effect, which seemed to wear off after a while so I stopped taking it. About a year later I noticed blood in my semen and as a urologist had already told me that my prostate "looked a bit ragged", I thought I'd better get something done about it, so I opted for a TURP, done at Epworth Hospital in Melbourne.

I could have gone back to NZ and had it done on my health insurance at the time, which I wish I had have done, but opted for Epworth because my sister and brother-in-law lived in Melbourne and I could stay with them, and also because when I asked for laser surgery for this TURP, the urologist there said that he could do it. 

But I'm afraid he told a porky pie, because the day before the operation I asked again to make sure I was having the laser surgery and he said he would only use the laser if he thought it was very necessary after doing some sort of exploratory of the prostate!

I know quite a few guys who had the TURP using the old-fashioned gold standard procedure, and they have come out of it well, but I had a few hiccups along the way what with urine retention and having to wear a catheter for a few weeks, and also it appears that there was some scarring around the bladder neck which I had to have operated on a few years after here in Thailand, because again my bladder wasn't emptying properly.

After the original TURP, I was eventually able to pee properly, and there was no sign of retrograde ejaculation, so overall I was happy about it.

However when the inability to urinate fully came back whilst I was in Thailand a few years later, a supposedly top urologist told me that I had some scarring of the bladder neck and that was what was causing it, so it needed to be removed, and there would be no after effects/side-effects – – another porky because after that operation I suffered from retrograde ejaculation and still do to a certain extent, although occasionally it works at about a 30% rate.

Luckily at age 76 I'm not a "rampant rabbit" so I get by on that side of things, however as you will probably have read, I still have to use a catheter every night before I go to bed to empty the bladder because that has ceased to work – – and even the top urologist in Bumrungrad doesn't know why.

Despite all of this I am a relatively happy chappy. However there is one proviso that I will add here, and which I've already stated elsewhere, and that is if I had my choice over again, and if the Urolift was available, then that's what I would have, and I would even travel to another country to have it done.

Thanks for your informative reply.

• Like 1