TAT estimates 18.5 billion baht spent during Songkran festival

webfact

image.jpeg

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has estimated that Songkran celebrations have seen about 18.5 billion baht in spending by revellers across the country.

For this year, the TAT estimates total revenues from tourism at about 2.38 trillion baht, including 1.5 trillion baht from as many as 30 million foreign arrivals and about 800 million baht from Thai tourists.

Meanwhile, the Economic and Business Forecast Centre of the Thai Chamber of Commerce University reported the spending behaviour of consumers during the 2019 Songkran celebrations, from poll of 1,202 samples throughout the country.

They say that, in 2019, which was before the COVID-19 pandemic, total spending during Songkran was estimated at about 135 billion baht, about 2.78% higher than the year before, as people were cautious about their spending due to economic uncertainty.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tat-estimates-18-5-billion-baht-spent-during-songkran-festival/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Strange how they can immediately give you the figures for what was spent during Songkran yet in 2024 they took almost two months to count the votes.

It does say that the TAT estimates for Songkran are just that, estimates and not precise numbers. But since you have your crystal ball in play and can see ahead of time how long it will take to count votes next year, can you please give me the winning lottery numbers for next week? Thanks in advance.

• Sad 1

Literally just asked my sister in law who is a doctor "how in Thailand can the give figures when the holiday isn't over" she just laughed and said "their crazy, stupid". Kind of says it all. She also has strong words about drunk driving injured people. I personally find thai roads so dangerous I would not drive after a glass of beer because you need to be so sharp!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has estimated that Songkran celebrations have seen about 18.5 billion baht in spending by revellers across the country.

Being that Songkran lasted 4 days where I am I wonder how much is normally spent in any 4 day period.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

They say that, in 2019, which was before the COVID-19 pandemic, total spending during Songkran was estimated at about 135 billion baht, about 2.78% higher than the year before, as people were cautious about their spending due to economic uncertainty.

117.5 billion baht differece. That is A LOT in anyone's book. As for "cautious about their spending due to economic uncertainty" this is just double speak for No Money.

In my job, when I offer up estimates and forecasts I'm asked to demonstrate how I got to that. I don't think my CEO would be too impressed if I whipped out a strawberry fanta bottle and spun it with some numbered amulets. TAT - the best job in the world where you are paid to be ridiculous.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

It does say that the TAT estimates for Songkran are just that, estimates and not precise numbers. But since you have your crystal ball in play and can see ahead of time how long it will take to count votes next year, can you please give me the winning lottery numbers for next week? Thanks in advance.

Duh!!!!!!

So their forecasts were deadly accurate....well done TAT, the best forecasters in the business. This might sound like satire with me secretly thinking you somehow got lucky or fiddled the numbers, but I assure you I am full of admiration. If you could only tell me the results of next weekend's PL football matches, I'll bet my house on them.

No one questioning the math here.....

Total 2.38 TRILLION

Foreigners 1.5 TRILLION (from 30 million arrivals)

Deficit to be made up by domestic tourism 0.88 TRILLION

Domestic tourists 800 million i.e 1/1000 of the deficit.

I know it's difficult when you have been edumacated here in Thai schools to detect the difference between Trillion and Billions. I mean it's only 10 to the power 3...not worth thinking about really.

18 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

No one questioning the math here.....

Total 2.38 TRILLION

Foreigners 1.5 TRILLION (from 30 million arrivals)

Deficit to be made up by domestic tourism 0.88 TRILLION

Domestic tourists 800 million i.e 1/1000 of the deficit.

I know it's difficult when you have been edumacated here in Thai schools to detect the difference between Trillion and Billions. I mean it's only 10 to the power 3...not worth thinking about really.

I think everyone else understood that it was a typo, 800 million should read 800 billion, of course! Interesting however that TAT sees the ratio of spend at 2:1 where as the ratio of GDP contribution is about 9% domestic and 11% international. Given that International arrivals has not yet ramped up fully, I imagine that ratio is more likely to be  9% and 7% (or lower). Sooo, typo's notwithstanding, what is the basis of the TAT calculation?