Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

bob smith

6 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

Probably the first.

I've learned to avoid eye contact with farangs, as I invariably regret responding to them. So many whingers, drug addicts, scammers, braggarts, conspiracy theorists, bitter people, chips on their shoulder, insanely bored pensioners, more scammers, talkative bores ..... oh, lots of talkative bores. A bunch of losers and not good to associate with such people.

oh jesus..... i thought for a second i was filling out a questionaire ..... and checked:  all of the above

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Myran said:

There are plenty of us, but we generally don't hang around in bars or walking streets.

I'm normal and I do when I have free time. I work and I don't drink much. I have few rules or restrictive habits. I defy classification or labels. I'm not judgmental. My secret is to find reasons to avoid individual people, not the other way round.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Golden era-ThaiVisa advice was to watch out for the 7/11 cuties. They were the willful home-wreckers.

Some peoples experience of Thailand and they think that there are only three types of Females in Thailand 

Girls that work in bars

Girls that work in rice fields 

And girls that work in 7/11

They spent too much money on bar girls , don't fancy going to live in a village and the only other option is to harass 7/11 girls

• Like 1

Very few are “Normal”.  If I was “normal” I would probably would not have ever moved to LOS. My first year I met a guy who said he had two passports(I presumed he was a dual citizen?).  Anyway his favorite topic was a well known visa agency that can do “everything” for the right price and I should contact them immediately and mention his name.  He failed to register the fact I was on an OA and was good for almost two years. He had never heard of an OA visa and kept on talking about this magical visa agency.  I avoid this guy as much as I can.  HIs other pitch was for an optometrist who did LASIK.  He again said I should get my eyes done even though I had excellent vision.  Also, I had to mention his name if I contact the optometrist.  I never contacted the Visa Agency or the optometrist. 

Anyway, I prefer to have conversations that do not require the “hard sell”.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some peoples experience of Thailand and they think that there are only three types of Females in Thailand 

Girls that work in bars

Girls that work in rice fields 

And girls that work in 7/11

They spent too much money on bar girls , don't fancy going to live in a village and the only other option is to harass 7/11 girls

which one are you ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

One who is happy and content being single and who doesn't need  a female to hold my hand and to live with me, so I don't get lonely 

Thats a great illusion as well. Learned the hard way? 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I moved here with my white wife. A few dozen bringing a ham sandwich to the picnic jokes later, we have become normalcy status symbols.

Our mere presence provides a warm bath of normalcy for many a monger or pothead. Older Thai women seem very approving.

A guy who's being supported by his parents pimped us out as normalcy-provers when his family visited. I got a free pizza out of it.

Why would anyone move here with a Thai wife??

You can get stunning thai girl half your age with

no 'entitled' westerner attitude. 

• Sad 1

1) You choose and attract the people you meet and deal with unless you live in like the ghetto.
2) You are the average of the people you hang out with / the friends you have.
3) If you go to places to socialize, in a travelled country like this, of course you also always will see and hear these crazy people and stories. Doesn't mean that's the majority.

I could also believe most expats in Thailand are russians, israeli's and germans as of being on a island right now, but of course I know better. Most of them are not even here for 2 years yet.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

1) You choose and attract the people you meet and deal with unless you live in like the ghetto.
2) You are the average of the people you hang out with / the friends you have.

Avoiding people you don't know is to miss out on a lot of positive experiences and knowledge. On the other hand you lose nothing if they turn out to be idiots.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

One who is happy and content being single and who doesn't need  a female to hold my hand and to live with me, so I don't get lonely 

Well, I think that's about the first post of yours that I've ever liked!

However that also describes me and although I do have a couple of female "friends", the idea of anything even like permanent or more than an hour or two, is an anathema to me.

Single and content to be so.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Avoiding people you don't know is to miss out on a lot of positive experiences and knowledge. On the other hand you lose nothing if they turn out to be idiots.

Where did I write that you have to avoid them upfront? Nowhere. I also do not need to become friends with idiots who have cool stories or experiences, they often talk loud enough to hear them sitting on my own table in the bar or restaurant. But sure, I did not say doing a few beers on a drunk evening is bad either.

Anyway, not so sure of that as well, plenty of experiences and more proper knowledge for people who are normal and better. The OP is kind of the living proof of that, he posts this wondering what is obvious not the reality. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Where did I write that you have to avoid them upfront? Nowhere. I also do not need to become friends with idiots who have cool stories or experiences, they often talk loud enough to hear them sitting on my own table in the bar or restaurant. But sure, I did not say doing a few beers on a drunk evening is bad either.

Anyway, not so sure of that as well, plenty of experiences and more proper knowledge for people who are normal and better. The OP is kind of the living proof of that, he posts this wondering what is obvious not the reality. 

I was generalizing. The tone of this thread is that only deviates and crazies hang out in Thailand / Pattaya.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I was generalizing. The tone of this thread is that only deviates and crazies hang out in Thailand / Pattaya.

I know plenty of the more interesting people around, I enjoy having beers with them, but I do not have their contact or make it more than that.

I guess that is also the 'choose' part right, what is crazy is subjective anyway, and I might enjoy 1 'crazy' person in my life even as friends, while for others that would not be nice or good.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

Nothing is black and white... however how many doctors, engineers or scientists have you seen in your home country with their hands or neck tattooed? Mostly uneducated low class settles here. Russians are maybe an exception but they have their own issues.

I've a degree and postgrad in education, was an engineer/scientist/schoolteacher before I came here.

How about you?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

Nothing is black and white... however how many doctors, engineers or scientists have you seen in your home country with their hands or neck tattooed? Mostly uneducated low class settles here. 

I rarely seen any people with hands or necks tattoo in Thailand in the first place, the few I did were tattoo artists and business owners overseas. Aside of that, I have seen plenty of engineers, lawyers, scientists and more with tattoos. Even at Thai universities now most students will have at least 1 small tattoo. 

You must be very narrow minded and uncultured yourself, if you judge the book by it's cover. 

3 hours ago, bogs smith said:

so whats going on? are there any normal farangs living in Thailand or are they just few and far between??

You seem to attract the weirdos. The only one I ever met claimed to be the Dali Llama, but he was interesting to talk to.

Define normal? IMO there is no such thing, but if there was, a normal guy would go to school, get a job, get married, raise kids and die shortly after retiring. No way a "normal" guy would emigrate to Thailand to live, IMO.

BTW womanising is a genetic imperative for men, so it's completely normal. What is abnormal is the idea that men should have one woman in their life, which has only been the dictat for a fraction of the 50,000 or so years that humans have been wandering around on the planet.