Can I fly on a new passport without moving my old visa?

I need to fly to Chiang Mai from Pattaya (leaving from BKK airport). I want to move my tourist visa from my old passport, to a new one, at Chiang Mai immigration, not Jomtien. Is it possible to take the flight by bringing both passports?

Someone will ask why not do the switch in advance at Jomtien immigration. It is important that the switch is done at Chiang Mai. If I can't fly I will take the train.

• Confused 1

You don't require pp to fly domestically. 

In any event yes you can fly with both passports even international.

Be aware that stamps most often need to be transferred at the immigration office that issued them. 

What is you current status regarding permission of stay in Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

You don't need to show a visa for a domestic flight, and it doesn't matter to the airline.

The bad news is you will be sent right back to the issuing office to transfer your stamp. Your second best option is to depart internationally on one passport and return on the other if you can get a day return trip to anywhere that is cheap enough. 

You cannot bounce by land and swap passports, only by air. 

If you do this ARRIVE AND DEPART the foriegn port on the passport you want to return to CNX on. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't require pp to fly domestically. 

In any event yes you can fly with both passports even international.

Be aware that stamps most often need to be transferred at the immigration office that issued them. 

What is you current status regarding permission of stay in Thailand. 

I'm on a Tourist Visa.

Is there any chance that Jomtien immigration transfers more than the prior stamp/visa? I have a volunteer visa, my new school is concerned that the volunteer visa/stamp may also be transferred over.

Another important note. I last entered Thailand through CNX. My Thai tourist visa is from HCMC and the stamp is from CNX immigration.

I assume the old passport has been cancelled. Unless you are planning to request an extension of your current permission to stay before leaving Thailand, the easiest option is probably to have Immigration transfer what is necessary from the old to the new passport as you leave Thailand. At the airport, this is quick. At some land crossings, it can be time consuming if the right official is not around.. When you are here on a tourist entry, not that much is transferred.

• Like 1

Repeating my prior question:

My school is concerned about doing the "reference stamp transfer" (referencing the old tourist visa) at Chiang Mai. Their concern is that immigration might make a note of a volunteer visa in the new passport.

Is this is a valid concern? Has such a "black mark" been transferred to anyone's new passport?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Will you apply for an extension in Chiang Mai? Otherwise, they won't transfer anything.

If you apply for the 30-day extension of your tourist visa at Chiang Mai immigration, they will transfer your entry stamp to your new passport, make note of your tourist visa, and stamp the extension into your new passport. No reference of any prior visas will be made in the new passport.

Correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, chalawaan said:

.....Your second best option is to depart internationally on one passport and return on the other if you can get a day return trip to anywhere that is cheap enough...

Not very likely OP can use a cancelled/punched passport for any purpose (other than to show visa/permit status and/or to transfer stamp(s) to new passport).  

Edited by CMBob

19 hours ago, merijn said:

Tourist visas are not transferred, you can use both passports when leaving the country.

I just realised he's talking about a cancelled passport, not a dual citizen. 

I'm a dual citizen. So my advice is not relevant. Apologies. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

Will you apply for an extension in Chiang Mai? Otherwise, they won't transfer anything.

If you apply for the 30-day extension of your tourist visa at Chiang Mai immigration, they will transfer your entry stamp to your new passport, make note of your tourist visa, and stamp the extension into your new passport. No reference of any prior visas will be made in the new passport.

He has a volunteer visa in the New passport?

Very confusing.

Also, I incorrectly thought he was a dual national, not referring to a cancelled passport.  

Edited by chalawaan
Confused AF!

5 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

He has a volunteer visa. Difficult to obtain of late, and subject to a lot of push back trying to do almost any modifications, even where it was issued. Don't shoot the messenger! 

This is the word on a more informed site I frequent. 

The OP previously had a volunteer visa, now he's in Thailand on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Repeating my prior question:

My school is concerned about doing the "reference stamp transfer" (referencing the old tourist visa) at Chiang Mai. Their concern is that immigration might make a note of a volunteer visa in the new passport.

Is this is a valid concern? Has such a "black mark" been transferred to anyone's new passport?

I am starting to get confused. From what you have said, your current extension of stay is based on your last arrival in Thailand which you made with a tourist visa.

What is this school you are talking about? Is it a school at which you are studying, or is it a school at which you will teaching after getting the necessary paperwork done?

What exactly is the "volunteer visa" your old passport? Never mind. As your current permission to stay is based on your tourist visa entry, immigration will make no note of this "volunteer visa" or any other visa in your old passport.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CMBob said:

Not very likely OP can use a cancelled/punched passport for any purpose (other than to show visa/permit status and/or to transfer stamp(s) to new passport).  

9 hours ago, CMBob said:

I am in error, I misunderstood the initial request. 

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The OP previously had a volunteer visa, now he's in Thailand on a tourist visa.

And he's not a dual citizen. He's talking about a cancelled passport. That was my bad. Apologies. 

I still think the transfer in Chiang Mai will be refused, that's just how the boys and girls roll.

I was refused TM30 and 30 day  exemption in Cheangwattna, even though I arrived in Bangkok, because they saw all my old retirement extensions from Chiang Mai. 

But maybe best to get a Thai speaker to call CM and ask! 

Yeah, to clarify any confusion.

1. I am not a dual citizen

2. My old passport has a volunteer visa that is blocking getting a new ED visa (this was not the case last year. It is now)

3. My school is concerned about my switching my current visa, a single entry tourist visa, from my old passport to the new one. The concern is Jomtien immigration will also move the volunteer visa or make a note since that visa carries bad vibes

4. According to the forum this concern is unfounded and my new passport, upon visa "transfer" will only have a stamp that references the tourist visa in the old passport.

5. In that case I'll have to go back on my request in the very first post. I will likely just do the transfer at Jomtien immigration.

6. People have also stated that it doesn't matter either way for flying, and I could use any ID for domestic flights (BKK to CNX).

agree with others as you are already IN country flying domestic to CM.....just use PP for ID info and give either if they ask..

visa or stamp would be transferred on ext or if leaving a dep stamp

I swapped to a new PP 2x in LOS..once in Cm and once in Khon kaen.....on my 3rd PP..lots of mae sai stamps and laos visas!

never had a actual visa tho in my 12 visits..always come one way and get 30 day stamp at bkk and extend......then a mae sai or laos border run

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I'm on a Tourist Visa.

Is there any chance that Jomtien immigration transfers more than the prior stamp/visa? I have a volunteer visa, my new school is concerned that the volunteer visa/stamp may also be transferred over.

Another important note. I last entered Thailand through CNX. My Thai tourist visa is from HCMC and the stamp is from CNX immigration.

Okay, one more stab at this. 

If you were last stamped in at Chiang Mai as a tourist, what does the used volunteer stamp in the old passport (tho in one post you said it was in the new passport!) have to do with anything? 

If you last arrived in CNX then they are the ones to go to for the next steps whatever you are trying to achieve. 

2 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Okay, one more stab at this. 

If you were last stamped in at Chiang Mai as a tourist, what does the used volunteer stamp in the old passport (tho in one post you said it was in the new passport!) have to do with anything? 

If you last arrived in CNX then they are the ones to go to for the next steps whatever you are trying to achieve. 

It was the schools concern. It was not my concern until they mentioned it.

Better safe than sorry so I checked with the forum that some odd procedure wasn't done regarding that visa, since it causes problems with new ED applications now.

Maybe slightly off-topic but I see many posts stating "my visa is on my old passport" many moons ago I was in Saudi and every time I left the coutntry they would take nearly two pages for the bleedion' stamps. I soon filled my passport (with the work permit on it) so the British Embassy gave me a new one but attached to the old one to it "oifficially" (lots of ribbon and stuff) - do they not still do that?

2 hours ago, nglodnig said:

I soon filled my passport (with the work permit on it) so the British Embassy gave me a new one but attached to the old one to it "oifficially" (lots of ribbon and stuff) - do they not still do that?

No, they don't do that anymore. 

• Like 1