Fox News settles Dominion defamation case for $787.5m

onthedarkside

32 minutes ago, candide said:

I check on their website. Nothing on the front page. I had to use the search function to find a small uninformative 15 lines article. It doesn't even mention the amount paid. ????

https://www.foxnews.com/media/fox-news-media-dominion-voting-systems-reach-agreement-over-defamation-lawsuit

I am surprised that they even mentioned that much.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hey, it's ONLY $787.5 million out of Rupurt's Fox corporate pocket.... One of the article's I read today on the subject said Fox Corp. had (prior to the Dominion settlement) about $4 billion in cash on hand.

Hopefully the upcoming parallel Smartmatic defamation case will further lighten Fox and Rupurt's cash load.

Fox News braces for more turbulence as second defamation lawsuit advances

New York court greenlights $2.7bn suit against news channel by election company Smartmatic over 2020 presidential election lies

"Last week [back in March] the New York state supreme court in Manhattan gave the green light for the case to proceed against Fox News, the Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo, the former business anchor Lou Dobbs and Trump’s former lawyer Rudy Giuliani."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/13/smartmatic-defamation-lawsuit-against-fox-news

I loved this added reference in the article:

"Smartmatic, a global election technology company headquartered in London, lodged its defamation suit in February 2021. “The Earth is round,” was the complaint’s striking opening sentence. “Two plus two equals four. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the 2020 election … ”

Smartmatic now has a measure of Fox's mettle and Dominion's playbook.

They will not fold and settle early as they know Fox is terrified of: 

"seeing Murdoch, Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson and several of their colleagues grilled on the stand, forced to reckon with the real world, unable to fall back on the dense lattice of misinformation that typically sustains Fox’s narratives".

Opinion | Why Fox News Had to Settle With Dominion - The New York Times (archive.md)

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This Murdoch fellow ( is he Australian, British or American this week) is pushing 92. Although he seems quite fit, he can't go on forever! Who "takes over" the empire?

Apropos of nothing, he did pull off one spectacular stunt in persuading Anthony Lyndon Blair to appear "robed in white" at the baptism of his ( Murdoch) children in the Jordan River, where Jesus Christ was baptised. It was a bit presumptuous perhaps when Murdoch chose that spot, and Blair (robed in white!) did have the grace to look a bit embarrassed. The photos were hilarious!

That was back when Murdoch was married to the ferocious and energetic Wendi Deng. I remember wondering at the time, she might finish him off - a bit like Peter Sellers having his first heart attack shortly after marrying Britt Eckland, bit off more than he could screw!

Anyway, enough musing - what will happen to the Murdoch empire when he does die? There are several children, I bet they will fight like ferrets in a sack!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

787.5 million.

That's some tough negotiator there. I can imagine them getting to 787 million and still being squeezed for another 500k.

All I can say though is "ouch" - that's a hell of a payout. It's the largest media payout ever. Still - I think insurance will cover some of it. But ouch. 

Heads should roll - it will be amazing if they don't.  

So far, the loudest voices are the cries of agony at MSNBC and other leftie media outlets. They won't be able to milk this story for the next several weeks/months.  Brian Stelter and his ilk are crying into their superhero pillows. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Getting rid of Tucker Carlson? 

Two things are guaranteed after a nuclear apocalypse: cockroaches will be the predominant surviving species, and Tucker Carlson will pop up on cable TV somewhere claiming that it is all a fabrication by the communist lefties...

As the standard bearer and chief moneymaker of the Fox brand, will be a very difficult decision for Fox to cancel his show like they did with Lou Dobb. But should Fox relent from the massive financial pressure from lawsuits and pulling out of advertisers, Carlson really has not many place to go to spew falsehood with impunity to a large captive audience and get paid well. Perhaps into politics and join other Maga cockroaches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

787.5 million.

That's some tough negotiator there. I can imagine them getting to 787 million and still being squeezed for another 500k.

All I can say though is "ouch" - that's a hell of a payout. It's the largest media payout ever. Still - I think insurance will cover some of it. But ouch. 

Insurance might not cover instances where it can be proved that the speaker knew that the defamatory statements were false, yet stated them with malice or disregard for the facts anyway. In other words, knowingly wrongful acts are often excluded.

This may be one of the reasons why Fox was so careful with their non-apology apology and why they wanted to avoid a court case proving this.  

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Insurance might not cover instances where it can be proved that the speaker knew that the defamatory statements were false, yet stated them with malice or disregard for the facts anyway. In other words, knowingly wrongful acts are often excluded.

This may be one of the reasons why Fox was so careful with their non-apology apology and why they wanted to avoid a court case proving this.  

Insurance may cover them - I don't know, doubt it, but if it does you can expect some eye watering premiums plus draconian insurance company oversight of any editorial decisions!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pedro01 said:

787.5 million.

Straight 50% of the original amount claimed?

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

So far, the loudest voices are the cries of agony at MSNBC and other leftie media outlets. They won't be able to milk this story for the next several weeks/months.  Brian Stelter and his ilk are crying into their superhero pillows. 

You are mistaken what has folks livid is fake news Fox isn't publicity apologizing for trying to destroy our democracy for money they are not a news organization they are more like a conspiracy bs drama show hopefully the next batch of lawsuits will rectify this issue and strip them bare so even the rite wing rubes will be forced to see what they are backing 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I watch MSNBC (YouTube highlights) and whilst I am acutely conscious of an underlying political bias; the quality of research and factual presentation by for example Rachel Maddow, the interviews by Alex Wagner (although she does sometimes come over as having a schoolgirl crush on her interviewee), the lovely Katie Phang and the analysis by Ari Melber are streets ahead of anything from Fox.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Fox News is the top on TV in the most recent YouGov data on news sources, with 41% saying that it is the channel they “most trust for news.” The network, which boasts the biggest audience in all of cable news, has long been found to be “most trusted” by pollsters.

Sure they do with the usual deceit by keeping the news away from their viewers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

hmmmm. really? I am wondering if " what has folks livid is fake fox news" is STILL trusted way more than all the laptop denier collusion hoaxer media. That must really hurt.

"Fox News Channel remains not just the most trusted among cable news networks but all of television news, and by a convincing plurality, despite scandals like the massive Dominion lawsuit against the ratings giant.

Fox News is the top on TV in the most recent YouGov data on news sources, with 41% saying that it is the channel they “most trust for news.” The network, which boasts the biggest audience in all of cable news, has long been found to be “most trusted” by pollsters.

That is close to double each of the second and third most trusted, ABC and CNN, which came in at 24% and 22% respectively, and more than twice that of MSNBC, at 18%."

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-most-trusted-and-most-watched-even-after-dominion-revelations-latest-poll-shows/

3 years of ridiculous defamatory false claims and banning factual rebuttal has consequences it seems.

Proof that you can fool some of the people all of the time.

• Like 2

I think I like most readers on this platform are not youngsters most of us remember when news was at 6pm and 10pm now your "news is 24hrs" given to you as you want red or blue factual or complete bs you can choose. 

Unfortunately as seen largest purveyors of the " trusted news" is faux news unfortunately for fox they know there audience and scared of losing them to news max ( luckily they still have to face there day in court) along with Alex jones ect so much money in peddling s*it

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

hmmmm. really? I am wondering if " what has folks livid is fake fox news" is STILL trusted way more than all the laptop denier collusion hoaxer media. That must really hurt.

"Fox News Channel remains not just the most trusted among cable news networks but all of television news, and by a convincing plurality, despite scandals like the massive Dominion lawsuit against the ratings giant.

That is close to double each of the second and third most trusted, ABC and CNN, which came in at 24% and 22% respectively, and more than twice that of MSNBC, at 18%."

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-most-trusted-and-most-watched-even-after-dominion-revelations-latest-poll-shows/

3 years of ridiculous defamatory false claims and banning factual rebuttal has consequences it seems.

In my opinion the reason many still trust fake Fox News is #1 they cover up their settlements for willfully lying to their viewers #2 the few viewers that are aware are embarrassed #3 confirmation bias#4 older folks are set in their ways(more susceptible to confirmation bias)#5 tribalism#6 many are just dumb.this in my opinion goes beyond different viewpoints on policy ideas and directions it is a pernicious dangerous thing and must be crushed