Fortunetellers.

bob smith

2 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Interesting.  If someone doesnt believe in faires, fortunetellers, santa claus or god they are 'negative people'?

that is the world according to bignok!

Edited by bogs smith
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

I never said he souldnt. 

^^ this is what I saaid.
i just find it very perplexing that outwardly logical seeming people by day are really superstitous and illogical by night. how do they balance the inevitable internal conflict inside?

Ask the "smart" people who believe in God, same thing.

Edited by FritsSikkink

1 hour ago, bogs smith said:

each to their own and all that but come on. if one believes in a fortune teller than one must also believe that there could still be a santa claus.

Swap fortune teller with <insert one of the 1000s of invented gods here> and you might well be onto something.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Interesting.  If someone doesnt believe in faires, fortunetellers, santa claus or god they are 'negative people'?

Unicorns....  I believe in unicorns.....  and don't get me started on Bigfoot.

• Haha 2

I think they are pretty good here. Been with the mrs 3 times when she had her fortune told by monks and a lay person at Wats. They all said more or less the same thing, that she gets very angry, talks far too much and when she does talk it's mostly silly and needs to cool down. One also told her a court case would not go ahead and did not. Seeing how they normally give positive, you will be coming into money, going on a long journey type thing I was quite impressed as superficially she is charming.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

No, people who criticise the beliefs of others are negative. I don't see Michael Jordan doing it.

That reminds me of my first girlfriend in Bangkok. We had the good times and sometime the not so good times. And then one day there was the big crisis - I don't remember what it was.

And then she decided in such crisis there is only one way to solve it. She asked me to follow her and then we arrive at this fortune teller lady... 

Sorry, I don't remember the end of the story, that was over 20 years ago. But I still remember that she decided that was the best possible way to solve the problem. And it didn't end up with me paying lots of money or anything like that. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bignok said:

I'm pretty sure no negative people are rich.

You have a funny history in this thread. One wonders.......

I'll get this out of the way so as to move you past your first question.

I am rich. Lucky, yes, but quite rich. Retired hedge fund manager, among other things.

(Yes, I know I'm lucky. When I was born, where, to whom, etc., were not choices, but enabled me to get where I am. Intellect, appearance, athleticism, even ambition are largely genetic. Life ain't fair.)

Fortunetellers provide a service I do not need. I know the scam, as I've seen it done by a true pro (a TV "magician" I happened to know). Some are better at it than others, but all are hucksters.

Religion strikes me the same way, and I know it results from the same need, which is to hope that the Universe is not random.

Things like virgin births (an alibi for infidelity), previous lives (violates entropy, inter alia), eternal life in some paradise (the epitome of boring), magic underwear (I applaud an illiterate huckster who manufactured the first post-Renaissance belief system that caught on, at least in Utah), requiring women to dress like giant eggplants at puberty, or deities that are involved in one's 4th grade daughter's math test result, make me both smile and scratch my head, especially when otherwise intelligent people buy into the schtick.

This human need (though it's not a universal human need) for fortune tellers, monarchs, deities, even dictators is all born from the desire to get a leg up on existence and a hope that somebody somewhere knows something or is in charge. Even a bad god or dictator is better than total randomness, because even with a malevolent being, there's always a chance to make a deal. No deals can be made with randomness.

No deals is disconcerting for many people, thus the ongoing businesses of religions, fortunetellers, amulet sellers, etc.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

This human need (though it's not a universal human need) for fortune tellers, monarchs, deities, even dictators is all born from the desire to get a leg up on existence and a hope that somebody somewhere knows something or is in charge. Even a bad god or dictator is better than total randomness, because even with a malevolent being, there's always a chance to make a deal. No deals can be made with randomness.

amazingly put. well done you!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

You have a funny history in this thread. One wonders.......

I'll get this out of the way so as to move you past your first question.

I am rich. Lucky, yes, but quite rich. Retired hedge fund manager, among other things.

(Yes, I know I'm lucky. When I was born, where, to whom, etc., were not choices, but enabled me to get where I am. Intellect, appearance, athleticism, even ambition are largely genetic. Life ain't fair.)

Fortunetellers provide a service I do not need. I know the scam, as I've seen it done by a true pro (a TV "magician" I happened to know). Some are better at it than others, but all are hucksters.

Religion strikes me the same way, and I know it results from the same need, which is to hope that the Universe is not random.

Things like virgin births (an alibi for infidelity), previous lives (violates entropy, inter alia), eternal life in some paradise (the epitome of boring), magic underwear (I applaud an illiterate huckster who manufactured the first post-Renaissance belief system that caught on, at least in Utah), requiring women to dress like giant eggplants at puberty, or deities that are involved in one's 4th grade daughter's math test result, make me both smile and scratch my head, especially when otherwise intelligent people buy into the schtick.

No deals is disconcerting for many people, thus the ongoing businesses of religions, fortunetellers, amulet sellers, etc.

You were a rich kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bogs smith said:

i just find it very perplexing that outwardly logical seeming people by day are really superstitous and illogical by night. how do they balance the inevitable internal conflict inside?

You seem to assume a lot. To you it's superstitious, illogical, with internal conflict!  To him, it is an extension of his Buddhist belief. That good spirits can guide him though life to achieve his aims. It's very real and there are thousands of Thai's who visit, not so much fortune tellers (That's your western slant) but maybe seers who can connect with these spirits.    

I have been with my wife to one of these seers, he is revered amongst the community here. He would have 15-20 people visit him in one day. I don't speak Thai and my wife didn't tell him about me, But he was able to look at me and tell me things about my past and and future. 

An example, I was selling a house in my home country. We visited him because I was worried the sale might fall through. I didn't show him a photo or explain the layout of the property. He said the sale would go through. But then he said. The land has two houses on it. Well, it is one house, but there is a detached  annex  next to the house. To him it is two houses. 

So put your western logic to one side. For Thai people it is very real, and many visit these seers for advice. Even if they can't predict next weeks lottery numbers.  

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

Billions of skeptics too. The only rich people that exist are either born into it or have lots of positive energy.

Or are criminals, using corruption, bullying or other dubious things to get their wealth at the expense of others. 

• Like 2

The umbrella of paranormal abilities are more than real.

You just have to filter for the ones that are real vs fakes and con-artists.

However, in a thread like this this, its a pointless waste of energy to go tit-for-tat.

UK police have used this guy below for decades to 'foretell crime'..which is.. no matter what way you dress it up..fortune telling.

Search youtube for....

Inside The Mind Of A Psychic with Christopher Robinson

They have used psychics to crack unsolved cases, locate bodies...police forces have engaged people at times with paranormal abilities and it just ...works.

Opening to the Infinite (Stephan A. Schwartz) for those "closed in the finite" is a good start...haha.

Anyway, to try and change the minds of skeptics is like screaming at a wall trying to get it to move.

So yes, you are right paranormal abilities don't exist - in your reality tunnel.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

The umbrella of paranormal abilities are more than real.

You just have to filter for the ones that are real vs fakes and con-artists.

However, in a thread like this this, its a pointless waste of energy to go tit-for-tat.

UK police have used this guy below for decades to 'foretell crime'..which is.. no matter what way you dress it up..fortune telling.

Search youtube for....

Inside The Mind Of A Psychic with Christopher Robinson

They have used psychics to crack unsolved cases, locate bodies...police forces have engaged people at times with paranormal abilities and it just ...works.

Anyway, to try and change the minds of skeptics is like screaming at a wall trying to get it to move.

So yes, you are right paranormal abilities don't exist - in your reality tunnel.

Yes I have seen cases of that. Obviously there is more to us than flesh and bones.

• Like 1