A heads-up on tougher marriage O extension rules

What do you think is going to happen when clever Farangs (and Chinese) keep finding new ways of getting around the rules? I remember when Photoshop started to be used, bank statements were forged, etc. The first time an officer visited us at home about 9 years ago, he told us that he had already arrested 19 people that year (February) for fraudulent marriage extension applications, mostly Africans. We are waiting for a visa decision right now but the application seemed to go very well. I hope. 

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

I think that is your problem, applying for a Non O based on Marriage when the last time you had such a visa was three years ago. Don't you think they would be suspicious of that three year gap? As far as they would be concerned you have to start all over, whence the questioning and scrutiny of documents and Home visit etc.

Hardly new rules for  Non O visa application.

Read it again. I wrote that I've had one since, I think, three years ago. I didn't write that I hadn't had one for three years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand much of this.

Was this your first extension to non O visa? .

Think your experience is not typical. 

I've had three one-year non O marriage extensions before. I'll add that my last one expired last November. I went overseas for a week and was told by Kalasin, before I left, that I should re-enter with no visa and apply for a non O visa upon my return. I did, and that expires next week so I've applied for my fourth one-year, after a gap of five months.

The officer told me they have made it much harder now to get one. I was told the same thing two years ago by a different officer at the same office in relation to them insisting that the 400,000 remained in the account until the extension was received, common now but not in practise at Kalasin at that time. It would be nice to be told, for a change, that they are making it easier, but that won't happen. Will it.

As for not being typical, there were four other people also told to return after lunch for interviews. I wasn't singled out. They are cracking down on every application. In Kalasin, at least. The officer was friendly enough and admitted that it was indeed a reaction to the Chinese visa scandal and the new measures were initiated by his new boss. And for everyone, not just the Chinese.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

I spent at my own leisure 60-90 minutes of preparation and approx 2 reasonably easy hours at immigration, now simply waiting on the phone call to get the stamp entered into my passport. After 15 years of A-O I find that I simply need two copies of everything instead of just the one. Where is the hardship or difficulty in that. 

How does this relate to my experience? At what office were you? You mention A-O. That isn't what I applied for, but then you don't make it clear that you did either ("after 15 years of A-O" etc - did you change?). I fail to see the relevance of your post.

• Like 1

Thanks OP for the heads up. I have to do my yearly extension based on marriage next week at Kalasin immigration. I have a contact working there that provided me with a special service last year as I didn't have the seasoned 3 months bank requirement and I didn't have a letter from the village head and 3 guarantors that they wanted there to sign as well for my wife. Lets just say I was able to by pass those requirements for a fee to immigration themselves as they are the ones who offered me the service.

I'm not surprised that they had a shake up and have a new boss there now. I will contact my guy  there to see if he is still employed and if he can provide me with the same service again as I wont be able to get some of the requirement's like a letter from the village head or any guarantors if they need them to sign. If the service is not provided then I will just get an 60 day extension to visit my wife and go to Laos or use an agent I know that can bypass everything and get me the extension at Maha Sarakham immigration.

Edited by nightfox
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit of a tip.

The reason your posts (in this thread) are confusing is that you keep including ancient history.

I keep having to read sentences several times.

Seems you returned last Nov on visa exempt and obtained a non O based on marriage.

Now applying for 12 month extension. 

Leave out everything else. 

BTW the 2000baht also confuses as that is fee for non O application.

For extension it is 1900b 

Marriage extensions always more scrutiny as not only require proof of marriage but also living together. 

Think you got a raw deal.

Perhaps gaps in your status in Thailand drew attention. 

Nowhere have I mentioned 2000 baht. And at the risk of digging up ancient history, I've been married for 32 years, been living here for around 26 or so, and have I've had several non-O marriage extensions before. Kalasin told me to take the steps I outlined above, not to apply for a non-O again until now, and in the meantime the new boss has added new demands/checks, so my ancient history and long marriage and residence counts for zero. There is no 'gap' except as advised to do by Kalasin. And, as I said, everyone there today got the same treatment. We all got a raw deal.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

I was actually supporting you but perhaps I shouldn’t have bothered. If you read what I wrote I’m simply stating that in my opinion and experience getting a marriage extension is no more difficult than an O-A and I’ve no regrets on the decision of making the change. I’ll leave you to fight your own battles in future. 

Sorry if I offended but, as I pointed out, you were not clear on what you applied for, or where. I'm fighting no battles, just informing others of what the situation is now at Kalasin. You know, trying to be helpful.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Sorry if I offended but, as I pointed out, you were not clear on what you applied for, or where. I'm fighting no battles, just informing others of what the situation is now at Kalasin. You know, trying to be helpful.

I appreciate your help Barry as I have been going to Kalasin immigration for years and found they were the friendliest and easiest to work with compare to other offices like Bangkok and Pattaya. Good thing is that there are always other out there.

• Like 1

I just got my non o marriage extension done in January in Sakon Nakhon ( one of the Controversial provinces) at the time when suspicious reports we’re being levied.

I cant speak of Kalison( same controversies) but My Issan province  requirements were usual ,hopefully it just a one of a kind.

Im  leaving next month for a visit to the states and will apply for a re entry  before leaving with no drama coming back .

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Read it again. I wrote that I've had one since, I think, three years ago. I didn't write that I hadn't had one for three years.

That makes no sense. Lets try again! when was the last time you had a Non O based on marriage? If there was a break between applications ie, one year you were on a different visa. And now applying for a new Non O based on marriage. Then you have to start all over again. Just because you had one "you think three years ago" means nothing, it doesn't entitle you to just pick up from you think three years ago. 

Normally you would just renew your Non O based on marriage yearly. They don't like breaks for the very reason that you may be paying some one to say there are your wife. 

And if you read my first reply, I did not say you never had a Non O visa. Read it again! 

Edited by CharlieKo
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Normally you would just renew your Non O based on marriage yearly

I get your your point but even in a renewal they can still ask for the same or extra documents and make it harder then previous years especially due to that immigration office involvement in a controversy and being investigated for wrong doings.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I believe that because you broke the chain of extensions and now have a gap of 5 months since your last extension expired last November, you are being treated as a completely new applicant.

Therefore as far as Thai immigration is concerned your past history no longer counts.

I am in the same boat.

Had to start a new non O after a short break. Two witnesses required just for the visa, not looking forward to the extension process. Korat office.

• Like 1

I had the same problem as you and had to reapply. They always make the first extension the hardest, now with the home visit including the village head man, two  neighbors unrelated to your family. But I remember way back when, you had to bring the neighbors in to sign at the  immigration office. Also Korat office

Edited by bunnydrops
addition