Can an O visa (retirement) be extended for a week or two?

My O visa expires on July 3rd and I start a new job outside Thailand about 10 days later. Is there any option to extend my O visa by a week or two? Or is the only option to leave Thailand on the 3rd? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

It depends on the category of your non-immigrant visa.

Actually, it depends on the reason for the extension. For example, if it is to visit a parent, spouse or child, a 60-day extension can be applied for.

Thanks for all the advice.  My new employer has told me that I can't arrive before July 25th (no idea why, not important).  So maybe I will do a nice day trip to Penang by plane from Bangkok and then re-enter on a visa exemption, giving me an extra up to 30 days in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Thanks for all the advice.  My new employer has told me that I can't arrive before July 25th (no idea why, not important).  So maybe I will do a nice day trip to Penang by plane from Bangkok and then re-enter on a visa exemption, giving me an extra up to 30 days in Thailand.

I think you have the right idea there! Might be wise to overnight in Penang? Others will know better than I whether that's necessary.

56 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

bet its cheaper to fly to PP than Penang, but than u need add the $30 for the Cambodian visa
OR
Cant u just fly to Burma early and spend some time travelling, visiting?

No, because I would be on a tourist visa and so I would have to exit Myanmar to then return on the business visa. Penang seems a better idea.

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

No, because I would be on a tourist visa and so I would have to exit Myanmar to then return on the business visa. Penang seems a better idea.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Penang and prefer HCMC. Nationality would however come into it as only some countries get the 15 day visa exempt to Vietnam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I wasn't particularly impressed with Penang and prefer HCMC. Nationality would however come into it as only some countries get the 15 day visa exempt to Vietnam.

Same for me, I'd much prefer HCMC over Penang and make it a holiday, not just a one day bounce.

Our OP Simon is a Brit, so he's eligible for Vietnam's visa exempt program. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Same for me, I'd much prefer HCMC over Penang and make it a holiday, not just a one day bounce.

Our OP Simon is a Brit, so he's eligible for Vietnam's visa exempt program. 

In 2019 as a result of the embassy letter coming to an end I went to HCMC for a ME visa and once we had done that had a trip across to Vung Tau.

Going across the bay was quite incredible, there were flying fish alongside the boat, just a couple of feet from the window.

In Feb 2020 I had to do my first bounce on that visa just as the pandemic started. Went from Chonburi on the train to Padang Besar, arrived in the morning and left in the afternoon, not great but circumstances dictated.