Toilet Paper Versus The Bum-Gun; Many Expats Say They Know The Answer

webfact

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Using only paper in the US feels filthy. Have started using wet wipes. Much better. 

Definitely prefer the hose. And those Japanese toilet seats are amazing. 

My Thai in-laws don't even have a bum gun 

11 hours ago, Bazerino said:

a friend of mine once told me that if you place the gun flush against your arshole.......

What - you've never tried it yourself?

I did once, but never again - stuck on the throne for ten minutes waiting for it to drain!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maybole said:

Many years ago when bum guns became common, I took 2 back to Scotland to install in my toilets there. They were successful nut COLD.

I am a bumgun convert and thought about installing one at home in the UK, but the chill of the mains water supply put me off.

6 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

There's a great singular reason why Thai women are the cleanest I have ever been with and one of the major contributing factors to their delightful cleanliness is the hand held bidet.

I'm surprised that so few have mentioned this aspect - there are things that I will do with a Thai girl with no hesitation that would be disgusting with a Westerner.

You can read into that as much or as little as you like!

21 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

Now I know why some don’t eat with their left hand. 

When traveling on a train in India, a million years ago, i met up with a guy and we were exchanging traveling stories, on how it could be annoying sitting with say 5 Indians who would all ask you the exact same questions, and would not give you any peace, he told me when it comes to the inevitable question "What work do you do" he said if you want them to leave you alone tell them your a toilet cleaner, then start eating with your Left hand.  :thumbsup::giggle:

• Love It 1

13 hours ago, Dante99 said:

With a good sprayer and application butts get left with only water on them, no brown stuff for you to play with.

Is this thread done quarterly or only twice a year?

I’m waiting to see a thread on how many of us prefer squat toilets. 

22 hours ago, indyo said:

it's very unhealthy, coli bacterias going everywhere, specially for women is not a good practice, the best solution is toilet paper plus bidet obviously using soap as well.

You was not informed, about the correct use of bum gun. My first was to apply one bum gun, into my home toilet, in Hungary. This is the most higinic way to clean the bum.

A bum gun is a multifunctional tool. 

It stops using wipes, it keeps your skin intact and where are no scratches self grown bacterias can't enter your body, it stops brake tracks in your Calvin Klein and it cleans also the bowl in one go... 

After getting used to it I miss it when I am on European Ships working.

Disadvantage: Using after a longer bum gun period wipes again takes one sitting and you butt is in bloom...  ????????

1 hour ago, Reginald Prewster said:

A bum gun is a multifunctional tool. 

It stops using wipes, it keeps your skin intact and where are no scratches self grown bacterias can't enter your body, it stops brake tracks in your Calvin Klein and it cleans also the bowl in one go... 

After getting used to it I miss it when I am on European Ships working.

Disadvantage: Using after a longer bum gun period wipes again takes one sitting and you butt is in bloom...  ????????

Yes, instead of using this disgusting thing, especially when it has to be cleaned:  

How-To-Clean-The-Toilet-Brush-and-Holder.jpg

9 hours ago, London Lowf said:

What - you've never tried it yourself?

I did once, but never again - stuck on the throne for ten minutes waiting for it to drain!

Lol only on special occasions, yeh you have to stand up & down a few times to get things moving....  ???? 

The ass spray gun is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread, or snow freeze ice creams.    Way way cleaner than pushing dunny paper around your ass and spreading the sh*t about.  

Edited by pl8lad
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/21/2023 at 8:53 AM, webfact said:

a very simple butt cleaning device in their toilet

Thanks - a very interesting post with many replies for or agaist toilet paper/bum gun.

From my experience travelling throughout Central and Northern Thailand, this appears to be a very common alternative:-

111 Traditional Thai Toilet Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos  from Dreamstime

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

Last month my sort of Aussie dermatologist BIL visited us in greater Isaan. Seems like Europe (somewhere) had a lot of special anal infections that bumgunning Asians don't get.

So Bumgunning (less that 2 bar) is very hygienic. ????

AND when you go to you favourite massage gal, she doesn't have to remove the dag's. ????

On 4/21/2023 at 5:39 AM, Crossy said:

The UK would require a "double-check valve" which is essentially two non-return valves in one housing.

No, not even a double check valve is good enough for UK regulations. Sadly. Yes, I have checked it out thoroughly.

It was quite some time ago now I looked into it but something like a double check valve gets you past a class (or grade or whatever the word is) 3 risk whereas the bum gun is classed as a 5 risk (the highest risk number) to the drinking water supply.

The reason being that If the end gets dropped in the toilet bowl and any kind of suction in the pipes occurs that draws the water backwards up the pipes the water supply could have toilet water sucked into it. A highly unlikely event I imagine but presumably not impossible or the regs would not exist at all. 

Not important in a country like Thailand where hardly anyone is brave enough to drink the water anyway, of course. 

Yes, I know a few brave souls do drink it and seemingly get away with it but some brave souls also do all sorts of silly things in life and get away it. Most don't.

Basically, in the UK, unless the homeowner has spent a lot of money installing one that is completely isolated in some way from the mains water supply it is illegal no matter if you have 100 check valves in place.

If you do have one and the water company is due to pay you a visit for any reason I would disconnect it quickly! 

If anyone has thought of a legal way to install one in the UK please post the method here! 

Simon

• Like 1

took me a month before i first tried it i think it is far better than paper an more hygienic. unfortunately up here in Issan the water is cut off for 15 or more hours a day and the pressure reduced at other times our water tank isn't sited high enough to give adequate BG pressure so i'm reduced to using paper again and getting the septic tank pumped out early. looking to have a bore hole made so we are not reliant on the water utility company (we're not far from the Mekong). I'll be taking one or two of these devices back to the UK with me

I've installed one in my home in Manchester uk, being a eco warrior gluing my self to motorways each day I know I am saving the planet by not cutting down trees to wipe my <deleted> with paper,

Oh sh@t I've just turned the bathroom light on and Draxs power station (10% of uk electric power) uk  burning trees from south America has just gone overload,

20 hours ago, London Lowf said:
On 4/21/2023 at 5:17 PM, Aussie999 said:

Here's my experience... gun bum, cool, refreshing, great after a spicy meal.. BUT, unless you use your hand, to wash the area, you'd be surprised how much brown stuff is left behind... Don't believe me... them just try wiping your butt after washing.

Toilet paper (for drying) is ALWAYS spotless afterwards - you're doing it wrong!

Drying or wiping your anus as you would when using only toilet paper?

On 4/21/2023 at 6:21 PM, Burma Bill said:

Many do not and end up with damp patches on their clothing in derriere areas - most off-putting when waiting in a Thai hospital queue and you are next to sit on a damp stained chair! My choice:

Izal: “The invisible guardian against risks to health.”

This picture takes me back to my childhood. IZAL was like an implement of torture. If you used the non-shiny side, it was like emery paper and you ended up with a sore @rse. If you used the shiny side, you ended up with the brown-and-claggy stuff spread everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whenever I go back to the USA I am reminded that my country, the self-proclaimed greatest country in the history of the world, has not figured out how to clean their anuses.  Seems to explain a lot, although I am not sure what.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 4:00 AM, BangkokReady said:

To do a proper job, you need to use your other hand to scrub.  Not sure why this isn't mentioned in the OP.

No scrubbing means you still need to use toilet paper to not only dry your butt, but get the last remnants of stool out of your anus.

It seems weird to me that there might be people wandering around thinking you just spray and then let the environment do the rest.  They must be thinking they have a superiorly clean anus, while in reality it is probably dirtier than if they used just paper.

yes even bum gun and paper leaves a smell of poo on ones botty if you test it with your finger 

swimming pools are full of feces  from dirty bottoms where many dont wash