Singapore to execute man over 1kg of cannabis in first capital punishment of 2023

webfact

25 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Singapore don't do testing for passengers coming from overseas. Singapore has strict laws in the Misuse of drugs Act that covers drug possession, consumption and trafficking. Warning in various forms are given to visitors. If they persist with ignoring the Act, they pay the consequences. 

Not quite correct:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/41-sporeans-and-prs-nabbed-for-suspected-drug-abuse-overseas-from-jan-to-aug-2022

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Like any country they have their own laws, one must bide by them if one is in that country?

No one is saying otherwise. The discussion is about the fairness/reasonableness of it.

If the law were, say, crossing the street against the light is punishable by execution, I think a large percentage of the readers would agree that's an unfair law. But I'd definitely still abide by it when in Singapore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

No one is saying otherwise. The discussion is about the fairness/reasonableness of it.

If the law were, say, crossing the street against the light is punishable by execution, I think a large percentage of the readers would agree that's an unfair law. But I'd definitely still abide by it when in Singapore.

You can get fined for crossing within 50m of a pedestrian crossing....   Want to chew gum in Singapore ??? think again...

Dickens: Oliver Twist:   "If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a ass — a idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is, that his eye may be opened by experience — by experience.”

In this case, not only is the law a ass... it is out of touch, inhumane, barbaric and wholly wrong...   The death penalty for something as innocuous as ‘weed’ is nothing other than utterly outrageous... state sanctioned Murder.... Horrific.

This is where the international community needs to stand up and say No... you cannot do that and expect to continue trading with us...  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Does this mean if you consume cannabis in Thailand, you'd better not have a flight with a stop-over in Singapore?

Google is your friend on this inquiry.

16 minutes ago, riclag said:
40 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Does this mean if you consume cannabis in Thailand, you'd better not have a flight with a stop-over in Singapore?

Google is your friend on this inquiry.

Excellent... seems you are an expert in telling people about ‘google’.. 

So...   If you consume cannabis in Thailand could you face issues if testing positive for cannibis a few days later in Singapore ???....   you’re going to tell me (us) the do a google search, right ????... 

This was an issue that cropped up in Thailand a few years ago when the BiB were randomly ‘drug testing’ people on the streets of Bangkok....  Could they test for Cannibis ?... what if someone had consumed a ‘magic cookie’ before flying to Thailand and then was tested while walking down Sukhumvit Rd....     its an interesting conundrum.... the legal consequences are uncertain... (I know, I know... google it, right, riclag !!!).... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can get fined for crossing within 50m of a pedestrian crossing....   Want to chew gum in Singapore ??? think again...

Dickens: Oliver Twist:   "If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a ass — a idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is, that his eye may be opened by experience — by experience.”

In this case, not only is the law a ass... it is out of touch, inhumane, barbaric and wholly wrong...   The death penalty for something as innocuous as ‘weed’ is nothing other than utterly outrageous... state sanctioned Murder.... Horrific.

This is where the international community needs to stand up and say No... you cannot do that and expect to continue trading with us...  

Judging from your response to my response to another member’s questions , apparently you took  exception to it . 
Apologies are in order !

Sorry for offending you , Im not a expert and the next time I offer up my opinion to a question in this forum I’ll be sure to state, imop.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Don't do it Singapore have a heart, as this stuff is everywhere and being 1 kg it was for his own use

Not having a "heart" as you put it makes Singapore one of the safest places to live on the planet.

Everyone knows that it's a crime to possess illegal drugs, and the penalties for doing so.

Don't like the rules and want to smoke a lot of weed, go live in a country that allows it.

I suppose the next thing will be people demanding that vandals shouldn't get caned.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The "international community" abandoned women to a horrible fate in Afghanistan when they pulled out- why would they stop trading with Singapore just because they carry out the prescribed punishment for a crime that everyone in Singapore knows about?'

You may dislike the law in Singapore, and want it changed, but you don't get a say if you ain't a citizen, and if the citizens accept it what business is it of any outsider?

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Excellent... seems you are an expert in telling people about ‘google’.. 

So...   If you consume cannabis in Thailand could you face issues if testing positive for cannibis a few days later in Singapore ???....   you’re going to tell me (us) the do a google search, right ????... 

This was an issue that cropped up in Thailand a few years ago when the BiB were randomly ‘drug testing’ people on the streets of Bangkok....  Could they test for Cannibis ?... what if someone had consumed a ‘magic cookie’ before flying to Thailand and then was tested while walking down Sukhumvit Rd....     its an interesting conundrum.... the legal consequences are uncertain... (I know, I know... google it, right, riclag !!!).... 

Yes, that was indeed a possibility some years ago in Thailand and why I never used weed as I didn't want to be in trouble if I was randomly tested for being in a bar after I arrived.

If anyone knew about that law and still used weed and got caught by random drug testing- that's on their dumb head.

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, Denim said:

It's a mad world. Death for cannabis possession ......but selling alcohol......no problem.

In Pakistan , say something negative about the prophet ( who never prophesied about anything ) and you will get torn apart by an angry mob ( in the name of Allah the compassionate and merciful )

In Thailand , say something LM , and you can get banged up for 15 years.

The only consistencies are the madness and injustice .

Yes, IMO the human world is mad, but if one wants to visit other countries, best abide their rules, and keep your opinions on such to oneself.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not having a "heart" as you put it makes Singapore one of the safest places to live on the planet.

Everyone knows that it's a crime to possess illegal drugs, and the penalties for doing so.

Don't like the rules and want to smoke a lot of weed, go live in a country that allows it.

I suppose the next thing will be people demanding that vandals shouldn't get caned.

People are not perfect, they make mistakes like this guy did. When I was traveling overland many years ago people told me to watch out for people putting drugs in your bag as Iran has the death sentence for drugs, even in very small amounts. I am not a drug user but unknowingly drugs can be planted in your travel bags one day and what would you say than?

• Thanks 2