Netflix Sued for Depicting Cleopatra as Black

onthedarkside

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Her quote explicitly said that. She did not make the claim that Cleopatra was black or even imply it.

ok so no quote specifically stating that the actress was hired for that exact reason. only something she said they said she said ..... kind of thing right.

you also provide no link stating that the company making the movie hired the actress for the specific reason you mention. 

i said nothing about anyone saying anything about anyone being black.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

ok so no quote specifically stating that the actress was hired for that exact reason. only something she said they said she said ..... kind of thing right.

you also provide no link stating that the company making the movie hired the actress for the specific reason you mention. 

i said nothing about anyone saying anything about anyone being black.

I never made any claim that the she was casted for any specific reason. I countered the claim that a white woman should have been hired because Cleopatra was presumably white.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Egypt is apparently in Africa, the arcane science of DNA confirms we all began in Africa. 

And if the times constantly a'changing produce profitable movies with black actors playing English Shakespearean nobility....

Then this rent-seeking nationalist better have enough savings to pay Netflix court costs.  

The DNA link supplied by Proton clearly proves modern Egyptians are just Arab invaders. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, proton said:

DNA tests have proved over and over the claim is false

Scholars reject the notion that Egypt was a white or black civilization; they maintain that applying modern notions of black or white races to ancient Egypt is anachronistic. In addition, scholars reject the notion, implicit in the notion of a black or white Egypt hypothesis, that Ancient Egypt was racially homogeneous; instead, skin color varied between the peoples of Lower Egypt, Upper Egypt, and Nubia, who in various eras rose to power in Ancient Egypt. Within Egyptian history, despite multiple foreign invasions, the demographics were not shifted substantially by large migrations.

2 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Exactly ????

"Link please" and "Off topic" are his two favorite lines.

That's what happens when factual claims are made without proof.

Make a claim, show the proof.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Considering that everyone, incl. Netflix, is vying to please Chinese viewers, he is lucky that they didn't give the role to an ethnic Chinese actress...

Overall, biracial adults who are both white and black say they have more in common with people who are black, and that is reflected in their relationships: They feel they are more accepted by blacks than by whites, have had more contact with their black relatives over the course of their lives, and are about three times as likely to say all or most of their friends are black than they are to say all or most of their friends are white. By contrast, biracial adults who are white and Asian tend to have stronger ties to whites than they do to Asians.

• Haha 1

I've been told "Black" is a social construct denoting African-Americans.  Is the filmmaker claiming Cleopatra was American?  But then why not.  Probably Jewish, too.

Anyway, we're all Africans at some level.  And if you don't agree you're racist.

6 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Other people, including historians who should know better, have distorted the truth about Cleopatra, portraying her as beautiful while she was anything but. Lookism has been much harder to overcome than racism.

https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/02/15/coin_shows_cleopatra_as_ugly.html

But not depicted like she was on coins in busts and temples like Hathor's at Dendera. she was depicted in a masculine image on coins to give her more of an air of authority, men being the traditional rulers in that  era and certainly in Rome and Egypt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, proton said:

The blessed Guardian must be 'racist' then for pointing out mankind had various origins

No single birthplace of mankind, say scientists

Researchers say it is time to drop the idea that modern humans originated from a single population in a single location

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jul/11/no-single-birthplace-of-mankind-say-scientists

Did you read your link? Still Africa.

"Instead, the international team argue, the distinctive features that make us human emerged mosaic-like across different populations spanning the entire African continent."

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

They should be sued as well for making Queen Charlotte black, lol

It's a joke, isn't it?

Let's see a white Nelson Mandela, lol.   

Or a Chinese Obama.

Good point! That would ruffle a few feathers me thinks!

Oh the irony! 
The film industry has been actively complaining for many years that

there isn’t enough of minorities in leading roles! Skin color is meaningless ! Can the women act!

18 hours ago, ozimoron said:

They're just racist. It's common in every country. Nothing to see here. It doesn't matter if she was black, white or brindle,

That's good to know.

I'll file that for future reference when Nick Cage is cast in a claimed historical documentary playing Nelson Mandela.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

Exactly ????

"Link please" and "Off topic" are his two favorite lines.

I at least am careful to always provide a link to any new claim which I consider might be even remotely contentious. It's called being respectful and wishing to debate in good faith. You might also respect that moddies are constantly removing off topic posts. (like yours and this reply).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could you explain to me .

If skin colour is meaningless , then why do people complain that there a lack of minorities in leading roles ?

Arent those contradictory opinions ?

Like, skin colour either matters or it doesn't 

Beautiful. ????

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could you explain to me .

If skin colour is meaningless , then why do people complain that there are a lack of minorities in leading roles ?

Aren't those contradictory opinions ?

Like, skin colour either matters or it doesn't 

Exactly the point that the producer made when choosing a black actress to play the part. It's about equal opportunity because black actors have faced a history of discrimination.

You can't grasp that Cleopatra's race isn't pertinent to the choosing the actress' race and there was absolutely no reason not to choose a black actress and no reason to choose a white actress?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1