Honest cost

On 4/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, Nong Khai Man said:

Stays hard all the time......But THAT Would be very UNCOMFORTABLE !!!

Nah, you just bend it to whatever position you prefer.  Far better than having one just lying down on the job IMO.

• Like 1

Well, it's kind of a courses for horses type situ, I generalized, based on personal experiences in Thailand, 1000 dollars gets you a place to watch the world go by, 2000 dollars gets you to occasionally be a part of the play, and 3000 dollars gets you to an active participant in all that Thai life offers you, and believe me, it's really wonderful!

20 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Well, it's kind of a courses for horses type situ, I generalized, based on personal experiences in Thailand, 1000 dollars gets you a place to watch the world go by, 2000 dollars gets you to occasionally be a part of the play, and 3000 dollars gets you to an active participant in all that Thai life offers you, and believe me, it's really wonderful!

Don't you mean 300 dollars or 3000 baht. 

so far I'm concluding I can live off 10-15 quid a day, don't drink, don't smoke, cycle every day, living off OMAD, fifties, underweight and pretty fit....

not bothered about health insurance, I'll do my own 'health' thanks v.much and not the complete sh!te they peddle on the teLIEvision, yes I've recently been back in the UK and seen what 'legal drugs' they're pushing ????(why is everyone like a house end?) ????

PS oh yeah don't do sugar n carbs either ????

Edited by driver52
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

The post is about monthly expenses, friend.

300 $ is what it cost me a month. to live comfortably now everything is bought and pay for.

Doesn't include replacements, holidays or the odd live it up night out and my bike trips. 

Edited by Kwasaki

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

300 $ is what it cost me a month. to live comfortably now everything is bought and pay for.

Doesn't include replacements, holidays or the odd live it up night out. 

So you spend the 300$ on food, electricity, water and fuel. Do I understand right?

Seems very low to me but people are different. Only important is to be happy with the own lifestyle.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So you spend the 300$ on food, electricity, water and fuel. Do I understand right?

Seems very low to me but people are different. Only important is to be happy with the own lifestyle.

Yeah my average cost lifestyle of course the odd extra as mentioned and wife takes care of herself.

I go by UK pounds averaging it out over 12 moths but 300 $ is about 10,000 baht by my calculations.

So I pay for house Electric, water, internet, mobile phone, fuel bikes, diesel truck, bikes/truck road/ins, evening meals, breakfast and midday sandwich, afternoon beer which averages out at 10,000 baht per month.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:54 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

But it's still a good idea to have a decent health insurance, or a lot of money for emergencies.

Many of us don't want to be another go-fund-me.

Totally agree

But at 76 he'll be lucky to get an insurance company willing to write a policy at any price.

Many a poster will say 'I self insure' which translated means I'll pay it all out of pocket.

I wonder how may of those when the sh$$#t hits the fan and lying in hospital start typing 'Go fund me'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Totally agree

But at 76 he'll be lucky to get an insurance company willing to write a policy at any price.

Many a poster will say 'I self insure' which translated means I'll pay it all out of pocket.

I wonder how may of those when the sh$$#t hits the fan and lying in hospital start typing 'Go fund me'

I got dumped at 72 from private health insurance wish I'd never bothered in the first place.

Accident sometimes can't be avoided and if in Truck/car/bike you hope insurance covers that. 

I get checked up every 4 months at my local govt hospital I'm registered with and the young doc there take care and keeps an eye on me at costs of 700 to 1000 each visit. 

I always try to take good care of myself on coming Thailand just the same as i did in UK.

If I thought was at risk of serious illness or in frail condition and had health problems i probably wouldn't of considered retirement here in the first place. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OP - given the exact guidelines of your post let me say this - My wife and I live just how you described (Non-O married) and our expenses w/o the occasional splurge are around 10k BHT per month. (our truck and bike are paid for so only yearly insurance renewals)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

OP - given the exact guidelines of your post let me say this - My wife and I live just how you described (Non-O married) and our expenses w/o the occasional splurge are around 10k BHT per month. (our truck and bike are paid for so only yearly insurance renewals)

Can I ask, do you raise your own meat/fish/poultry and grow you own vegetables? I ask this because I spend 8k a month easily on just groceries for myself, daughter, and wife. I do cook (and bake) western food at home. 

To add, my monthly electric runs me over 5k a month. Then there's Internet and phone service. One beer a night (35 THB /beer) would be a little over 1k. 

health insurance is a problem as many have pointed out...even if you can get it the policy will likely have so many exclusions as to be worthless for anything major.

There is really no simple way around that.  What I do is go for complete physical in usa a month before flying to Thailand in USA where my Medicare/supplement covers it....of course there are o real guarantees that a physical can predict you will have no major events but at least you "might" get an indication for problems before flying to Thailand.....if looks ok then i would get another physical every 3 to 6 months in Thailand which are usually cheap ....and IF i see anything that appears to be moving into danger zone get on a plane and get back to USA asap where i have insurance and get it dealt with...

It is certainly not a perfect solution but it is the best I have been able to come up with.  A major event like a heart attack etc in Thailand with no or very limited and expensive insurance is something you may want to be proactive to at least try and avoid is IMO a good idea...be aware of your odds....but as we all know there is no guarantee that a physical  will be able to magically predict no problems not to mention being in an accident.

The rest regarding budget of your eating at home, not many beers, no or few gals is the least of your worries. 

Better that you budget for return trips  to where you hopefully have insurance for check ups as well as frequent check ups in Thailand

Good Luck.

60,000 a month would cover everything. 

Some months you might spend as little as 30,000 or less. Then some unforeseen event sinks the budget. Health issues , visa problems etc etc. ..

1 minute ago, Dan747 said:

This has been brought up many times and it all depends on "YOUR LIFESTYLE!!"

The problems would be the medical insurance for someone over 70 I guess; I do my home cooking since I still have my own fully equipped kitchen and all accessories. 

On 4/24/2023 at 1:41 PM, rwill said:

2)  food - if you eat cheap thai food you can have 3 meals a day for about  7,000 baht a month.  But it can escalate quite abit otherwise.  In Ratchaburi there is a restaurant that has the best steaks I have had in Thailand.  But then you are talking 1,200 to 2,000 baht for one meal.  Even eating falang food at home is going to cost you more than eating the local prepared food.

My local Thai restaurant charge 50bht for the 'special size' meals ....... almost more than I can eat. Good quality meat/seafood as well.

@3 meals a day, x30 days = 4,500bht

Where did your 7,000bht comes from.

Not sure why the OP is obsessed by health insurance, I don't bother.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My local Thai restaurant charge 50bht for the 'special size' meals ....... almost more than I can eat. Good quality meat/seafood as well.

@3 meals a day, x30 days = 4,500bht

Where did your 7,000bht comes from.

Not sure why the OP is obsessed by health insurance, I don't bother.

It's just an estimate.  Also adding the costs of drinks.  I never drink the free water offered at lots of places.  While I can get a plate of food for about 35 baht where I live in other areas it can be more expensive.

21 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Can I ask, do you raise your own meat/fish/poultry and grow you own vegetables? I ask this because I spend 8k a month easily on just groceries for myself, daughter, and wife. I do cook (and bake) western food at home. 

To add, my monthly electric runs me over 5k a month. Then there's Internet and phone service. One beer a night (35 THB /beer) would be a little over 1k. 

We have a 3 rai fruit orchard and a fish pond. Internet is only 399 a month. (you can watch tv for free online with an HDMI cable from the cpu to the tv) Cooking is gas and we don't have a/c in every room going all the time so electric is around 1500. We buy the same meat/veggies at the local markets that the big, pricey chain stores have but 1/3 the cost. We feed 4, my wife and I and her parents.

Everybody's medical is covered and we all chip in to the village "death fund" as I call it. Living like a Thai with few embellishments isn't costly. That's why I moved to Thailand. :wai:

ps. for the skeptics - it's a 4 bdrm, 3 bath house and everyone has their own tv - we just don't live in front of them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Internet is only 399 a month. (you can watch tv for free online with an HDMI cable from the cpu to the tv)

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup. However, just so you know, it costs you 399 a month to watch TV so it's hardly free. And your PC has 4 HDMI outputs (maybe you are using a splitter) with long a$$ cables running to each TV?

• Sad 1

On 5/22/2023 at 6:31 AM, dingdongrb said:

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup. However, just so you know, it costs you 399 a month to watch TV so it's hardly free. And your PC has 4 HDMI outputs (maybe you are using a splitter) with long a$$ cables running to each TV?

No, my wife and her parents are Thai and Thai tv is free. The 399 is for internet for everyone in the house so hardly "paying for tv". That's just a bonus.