Agent tells me that Bangkok Bank wants a driver's license from your country + passport.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And if you do not have one?????

I don't know. I have a valid driver's license from the USA due to covid.  They reissued the license with old photo as they didn't want anyone coming in to take a photo for the license.  As I have been here more than seven years, I was able to get it through the mail.  It will be my last. 

• Confused 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Switch agents....  you’re dealing with fools !!... 

Or, try opening an account yourself - Get a letter of Residence from Immigration and that should see you fit...  you may have to try a handful of Banks before you get lucky. 

I already have accounts at Kasikorn and TTB. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or, try opening an account yourself - Get a letter of Residence from Immigration and that should see you fit...  you may have to try a handful of Banks before you get lucky. 

When there is funny business about the cured money, they all seem to point to Bangkok Bank as an alternative. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DudleySquat said:

I don't know. I have a valid driver's license from the USA due to covid.  They reissued the license with old photo as they didn't want anyone coming in to take a photo for the license.  As I have been here more than seven years, I was able to get it through the mail.  It will be my last. 

Well that didn't really answer my simple question did it?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agents only use BKB 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And if you do not have one?????

Only the visa agent or Bangkok Bank (assuming it's a genuine requirement of their's) could answer that question. Presumably an alternative form of photo ID containing an address would suffice? 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Agents only use BKB 

Bangkok Bank is very difficult.  It's stupid on their part. 

Years ago I used my Debit Card to bring over 200,000b.  No fees back then. 

Bangkok Bank debited the money from my USA ATM.  

I wanted to deposit the money in a new Bangkok Bank account.  I was told no because i have to get my passport verified at my Embassy to open an account. They handed me 200,000 with just my passport, but now it is not good enough.  

Stupid. 

22 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

I already have accounts at Kasikorn and TTB. 

21 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

When there is funny business about the cured money, they all seem to point to Bangkok Bank as an alternative. 

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Agents only use BKB 

Is this something to do with using an agent for a retirement visa and needing the money (800k) ‘seasoned’ in a Thai Bank and the agent wants you to use Bangkok Bank ???

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Any particular reason not to open new accounts with either of these? It "should" be rather less hassle.

As it was explained to me, if I want my lack of money to manifest the right amount of money it has to be Bangkok Bank.  If the money was seasoned in my Kasikorn for example, then Bangkok Bank is not necessary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea why you want to open a new account when you already have 2. I use TTB for my retirement visa, did it with an agent and nary a problem one. Perhaps you could explain in some detail what is up. Its not just opening a bank account that is for sure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marin said:

I have no idea why you want to open a new account when you already have 2. I use TTB for my retirement visa, did it with an agent and nary a problem one. Perhaps you could explain in some detail what is up. Its not just opening a bank account that is for sure. 

How much detail do you require?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

I enquired from the Visa Agent what I need to do and how much it would cost to let the agent change from Thai Family extension to retirement. 

She evidently only used Bangkok Bank, which if I didn't have 800,000b would be the bank of choice.  I have no idea why this is. 

There is some magic over at BKK Bank that Kasikorn and TTB don't have.  Evidently.

Back in 2017 my visa agent told me that all the other banks were concerned about money laundering regulations. However, Bangkok Bank aren't. I have since been advised that this wasn't completely true and other banks continued/resumed participating. 

33 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Btw not to hijack a thread, but I have received a notice on my app that starting June you will have to go to a branch and do a full face scan if you want to use online banking for all transactions over 50,000 baht

Many thanks for this! At least an attempt to restrict (and limit the damage) caused by bank account hacking.