Agent tells me that Bangkok Bank wants a driver's license from your country + passport.

47 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Btw not to hijack a thread, but I have received a notice on my app that starting June you will have to go to a branch and do a full face scan if you want to use online banking for all transactions over 50,000 baht

Which bank was this?

34 minutes ago, MJCM said:

What bank is mentioned in the Topic title?

But it’s Bangkok Bank

Celsius was not the OP and mentioned his post might be thought of as "hijacking" so I hoped for some clarification as a I am too with BBL but have seen no such warning in the app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MJCM said:

What bank is mentioned in the Topic title?

But it’s Bangkok Bank

Actually it is nearly every bank....right now its SCB, BKK Bank, Kasikorn, Krungsri, Krungthai.

I went to today to one of my banks..phone and passport in hand....quite a simple process.   Will do

2-3 more banks tomorrow.

Edited by couchpotato
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you have a long term visa just go direct to Bangkok Bank and open the account, then go see an agent for the rest. Where are you?

Bangkok Bank doesn't want foreign customers. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Actually it is nearly every bank....right now its SCB, BKK Bank, Kasikorn, Krungsri, Krungthai.

I went to today to one of my banks..phone and passport in hand....quite a simple process.   Will do

2-3 more banks tomorrow.

To use an agent he needs Bangkok Bank

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

2-3 more banks tomorrow.

Big article in the Nation newspaper today on this new face scan for scamming and security reasons.

17 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thanks for that.
Another reason to keep my accounts at three banks and distribute the money.

Today I sat at >SCB< and saw the clerk take a picture of a Thai customer with a tablet.

As we are so much offtopic now, one more:

recently my SCB app refused to work and tell me to switch off the "Developer Mode" at my Android :biggrin:

An absolute first timer.

Now wonder whether this is related.

Edited by KhunBENQ

About a year ago just by chance I chatted to an agent in Pattaya about one year extension (asking for a friend, really!).

He told me they would go to Bangkok Bank and open an account despite another account exist or not. Other bank "difficult".

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Switch agents....  you’re dealing with fools !!... 

Or, try opening an account yourself - Get a letter of Residence from Immigration and that should see you fit...  you may have to try a handful of Banks before you get lucky. 

Tend to agree/disagree.

Went to Blue Bank recently......no go.

Yellow Bank.... easy..... full internet/app etc provided.

Really great girls. Passport, local drivers licence & wife in the backround made it easy.

Central province.????????

Edited by Lucky Bones

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No about? Driver license?

For me it simply sounds like a ridiculous requirement.

Not all mankind has a driving license.

I went to the Th. Surawong branch of BBL to try and get a 2nd account as my initial account was opened in Patts. 

Last year they showed me the old standard list of requirements from their HQ/website. In principle I could have gotten away with CoR from CW and Non-O but I never got around to it.

This year they showed me a four-point list, one of which was something about a guarantee letter from my Embassy. Fat chance of the Astrayan embassy helping a cobber out.

i was a bit p!ssed off so I didn't take a copy of the actual requirements but they were way too onerous. Pile-driver to crack a peanut kind of thing.

It's too damn hot to go bank hopping so I'm kicking the can down the road for a month or two.

10 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Bangkok Bank doesn't want foreign customers. 

Hyperbole much? Those requirements you mentioned are a doddle compared to what I was asked for back at the end of Feb. 

Presumably it's that particular branch's interpretation of recent changes in the AMLO space.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
13 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

An agent just told me that opening a Bangkok Bank account now requires your driver's license from your home country.  Who has experienced this? 

Is it just Bangkok Bank? 

Switch agents....  you’re dealing with fools !!... 

Or, try opening an account yourself - Get a letter of Residence from Immigration and that should see you fit...  you may have to try a handful of Banks before you get lucky. 

You should consider that maybe it's the bank staff that are being 'fools' here. We already know that different people can get different answers from staff at different branches so maybe this is simply another branch 'winging it' when it comes to their documentary needs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Celsius said:

Btw not to hijack a thread, but I have received a notice on my app that starting June you will have to go to a branch and do a full face scan if you want to use online banking for all transactions over 50,000 baht

Are we supposed to play at "Guess what bank" now?

Sheesh...