Phuket police open inquest into the death of Australian tourist found at Patong Police Station

webfact

image.jpeg

Police oversee the removal of the body of 31-year-old Matthew Winder from the holding cells of Patong Police Station on Monday afternoon and their removal to Vachira Phuket Hospital for an autopsy.

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

Body was removed on Monday by emergency services from the second-floor holding cells area of Patong Police Station and taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital for an autopsy.

Phuket’s provincial police chief has promised a full investigation into the death of an Australian tourist in detention in Phuket whose body was found hanging from bars in his cell by the duty sergeant at Patong Police Station on the island on Monday afternoon last.

Police in the Patong Beach resort in Phuket are conducting an investigation after the body of an Australian tourist, arrested on Sunday for causing a disturbance and being drunk on the Bang La road nightlife district, was found dead in his cell at Patong Police Station.

31-year-old Matthew Winder was arrested at an entertainment venue and taken to the station where he was held in the holding cells situated on the second floor of the facility. 

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/04/27/phuket-police-inquest-aussie-tourist-matthew-winder-death/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 2

This clipped from the linked article is also interesting. So it appears there is confusion about his arrest location.  On top of that the on duty police sergeant is stating he went out for lunch and brought back food for Mr. Winder

There are contradictory statements as to where the Aussie was arrested with other reports suggesting that he was picked up by police at where he was staying which was also located on the Bang La road.

The arrest occurred early on Sunday morning. 

After midday on Monday, the on-duty police sergeant left for lunch and later brought back something to eat for Mr Winder.  He discovered the Australian hanged with his shirt tied to an iron bar in the cell where he was being held.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Better get Big Joke on this one!  In the end, regardless of the stories and contradiction he will determine he hung himself regardless and that is the end. This was the other explanation to another hanging the Joker investigated with also a lot of contradictions. We all know how this is to end!

????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ginner said:

The first report says he was found hanging by a cord from his pants. Tracksuit bottoms. now it states he was found hanging from his shirt.

Neither actually quoted anyone as far as I know, so put it down to the usual standard of Thai journalism. Even if there were officers who gave such statements, it's very well known that people here like to shoot their mouth off over something they know nothing about, so the only real source should be from one senior officer making a statement.

Again, as far as I know, that hasn't happened yet while enquiries are on-going. The only brief from the police to the media that is mentioned in the linked article is saying that is what is happening. Everything else is hearsay.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Neither actually quoted anyone as far as I know, so put it down to the usual standard of Thai journalism. Even if there were officers who gave such statements, it's very well known that people here like to shoot their mouth off over something they know nothing about, so the only real source should be from one senior officer making a statement.

Again, as far as I know, that hasn't happened yet while enquiries are on-going. The only brief from the police to the media that is mentioned in the linked article is saying that is what is happening. Everything else is hearsay.

See: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/australian-man-dies-in-police-detention-in-phuket-thailand

The officers on duty went out for lunch at 11.30am and left Winder alone. When they returned, they found that Winder had committed suicide, they said. Police said they examined the CCTV cameras and saw Winder, alone in the room, crying out for help before hanging himself with the rope from his shorts, reports KhaoPhuket.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

See: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/australian-man-dies-in-police-detention-in-phuket-thailand

The officers on duty went out for lunch at 11.30am and left Winder alone. When they returned, they found that Winder had committed suicide, they said. Police said they examined the CCTV cameras and saw Winder, alone in the room, crying out for help before hanging himself with the rope from his shorts, reports KhaoPhuket.

And 'Police said' is attributed to what high-ranking officer? None. Which was the point of my post, which you appear to have ignored or not understood. No member of the force has made any such official statement to the media. The only attributed quote says the enquiry is still on-going. Why do I have to repeat myself?

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And 'Police said' is attributed to what high-ranking officer? None. Which was the point of my post, which you appear to have ignored or not understood. No member of the force has made any such official statement to the media. The only attributed quote says the enquiry is still on-going. Why do I have to repeat myself?

The police that were there - not the "high ranking officer" who was brought in to manage the death of a foreigner.

If someone gets murdered by a hi-so do we only believe what the hi-so says after speaking to their lawyers.

Edited by Pink Mist
a portion of the post has been edited due to trolling another poster

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Should be sent to BKK forensic police department for maybe an unbiased autopsy. 

I'm sure they'll be doing another autopsy when the body arrives in Australia, if there's anything left over after they cut him up here.

The Police "promise" to investigate? The police should not be investigating this. Where is the Australian Embassy on this? Just reporting the death to his family? Talk about lame. Someone outside the police departement needs to investigate. It should be considered an International incident and treated accordingly.

• Like 2

If he hung himself with a cord from his shorts, why was said cord not taken from him before being placed in a cell? It is not difficult to hang ones self if determined enough, but to assist by leaving a cord to do so beggars belief.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'm sure they'll be doing another autopsy when the body arrives in Australia, if there's anything left over after they cut him up here.

The Police "promise" to investigate? The police should not be investigating this. Where is the Australian Embassy on this? Just reporting the death to his family? Talk about lame. Someone outside the police departement needs to investigate. It should be considered an International incident and treated accordingly.

"Where is the Australian Embassy on this"...Are you saying you have info that they are not....?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

If he hung himself with a cord from his shorts, why was said cord not taken from him before being placed in a cell? It is not difficult to hang ones self if determined enough, but to assist by leaving a cord to do so beggars belief.

Do they do that for sleeping it off drunks............?  ????

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Do they do that for sleeping it off drunks............?  ????

I didn't want to put into words what I was thinking, but the implication is there nevertheless. Reading between the lines has its advantages as well as disadvantages.