Hospital Bill Paying via a Wise Transfer

Question,

as anyone ever used Wise Transfer to pay a Hospital Bill?

I need to have an operation and my insurer has asked me to pay the bill myself at first and then send it to them and they will reimburse me.

Now I would like to Pay the Estimated charges before the operation via a Wise Transfer, but because Wise "likes" to send money via another Thai Bank account and thus not showing up as International Transfer, I wonder how I could transfer this money in?

Any thoughts (of course I could send it via my Bank direct, but I would prefer using Wise (better exchange Rate))

TiA

The Hospital has provided me with their Swift Code etc etc already.

i believe BKK Bank and one other bank (not sure which)  can show as Foreign Transfer if sent for certain reasons..

If you possibly have one of those bank's accounts and put reason for transfer "retirement or long stay" I think, couldn't you send the money to yourself here, then transfer to hospital?

You would still be paying it yourself, albeit from a Thai account.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thx @phetphet

8 minutes ago, phetphet said:

i believe BKK Bank and one other bank (not sure which)  can show as Foreign Transfer if sent for certain reasons..

If you possibly have one of those bank's accounts and put reason for transfer "retirement or long stay" I think, couldn't you send the money to yourself here, then transfer to hospital?

That could be an option, but that said,

A) I must be absolutely sure that it arrives as an International Transfer.

B) I Had transfers (to myself) to BBL via Wise which were "tagged" as "long stay" arrive as transfer from another Thai Bank, so that is why the question.

The Hospital Bank account is with CitiBank, so no idea how that works.

In the mean time I have send an email to Wise with that same question and I will report back when they reply, but they said that they are extremely busy.

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Then do not use Wise, use SWIFT.

From the OP.

36 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Any thoughts (of course I could send it via my Bank direct, but I would prefer using Wise (better exchange Rate))

30 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry but I don't understand why, if its for medical treatment.... 

<removed>

edit : I need needs to arrive in The hospital Bank account (if I transfer it via Wise) as an international transfer as stated on the site so I can send the hospital a Swift transfer paper

this is what it says on the hospital site

In order to confirm the transfer promprtly, please specify the patient's name and Hospital Number (HN) on the pay-in slip. Once the transfer is completed, please ask the bank for the SWIFT MT103 notification form and fax or email it to the hospital at:

Edited by MJCM

15 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Well that is a misleading partial quote.  Sad you can not do better.

How do you mean? I clearly wrote that because it is an option but I would prefer as I said to use Wise and If Wise responds that it’s not guaranteed I will transfer directly via my Bank account. 

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Why not just transfer to your bank account and make a local transfer (or better yet visit hospital and pay in cash)?  I always pay in cash for advance payments - that way you get an immediate receipt for payment and if funds not used can immediately get refund in cash.

They even took me to an ATM at the hospital in a wheelchair.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Why not just transfer to your bank account and make a local transfer (or better yet visit hospital and pay in cash)?  I always pay in cash for advance payments - that way you get an immediate receipt for payment and if funds not used can immediately get refund in cash.

Great idea,

but I am wondering how that is going to pan out with the new restrictions the Banks are imposing on us with transfers over 50.000 THB, the amount I have to pay is substantial MORE and funny when you are paying and it doesn't go through.

Just like when my Wife and BIL had a procedure done and I wanted to pay with my CC, but the CC only was accepted to 1000 EURO equivalent because the Hospitals payment system was outdated and did not require a PIN. And then the CC limits all payments to only 1000 EURO MAX.

Fortunately (back then) I could pay the remaining amount via my Bank App

Bringing Cash with me is a last resort option.

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well promptly, but why can't the hospital just check their own account it may take 48hr to show but it will.

Operation is 2nd part of May and they require pre-payment, so I was thinking of already transferring the money to them so they have enough time to check their records.

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Great idea,

but I am wondering how that is going to pan out with the new restrictions the Banks are imposing on us with transfers over 50.000 THB, the amount I have to pay is substantial MORE and funny when you are paying and it doesn't go through.

Just like when my Wife and BIL had a procedure done and I wanted to pay with my CC, but the CC only was accepted to 1000 EURO equivalent because the Hospitals payment system was outdated and did not require a PIN. And then the CC limits all payments to only 1000 EURO MAX.

Fortunately (back then) I could pay the remaining amount via my Bank App

Bringing Cash with me is a last resort option.

You can take cash early and get receipt - multi times if you want.  And with ATM card you can both pay and obtain cash at same time well over 50k (I normally pull 50k from ATM (for use at home) before paying bill for 30-40k with card).  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

You can take cash early and get receipt - multi times if you want.  And with ATM card you can both pay and obtain cash at same time well over 50k (I normally pull 50k from ATM (for use at home) before paying bill for 30-40k with card).  

I don't have an ATM Card with any of my Banks in Thailand ANY MORE, but could use my overseas CC for any overpayments that need to be done.

They have given me an estimated costs, but who knows if it doesn't go way over it? Bloody annoying this that my insurer wants me to pay myself.

The more I think about it, the more appealing Cash payment is, I think 100% of the money in Cash and the OVERPAYMENT via either QR Code or my CC.

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Banks are imposing on us with transfers over 50.000 THB, the amount I have to pay is substantial MORE

If talking about Wise to Thailand you are free to make as many transfers as you wish - you do not save making large transfers with Wise so not much lost other than your time.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If talking about Wise to Thailand you are free to make as many transfers as you wish - you do not save making large transfers with Wise so not much lost other than your time.

No I am not talking about WISE, Thai Banks are putting restrictions on transfers over 50.000 THB at a time.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-mBanking/MB-SecurityUpgrade

You need some kind of Face Scan done, but as with everything in TIT I wonder how this is going to PAN out.

And Face Scan funny when you just had an operation on your Eyes done :whistling:

They have given me an estimated costs, but who knows if it doesn't go way over it?

You do not mention procedure but normally hospitals provide a high ball amount for estimates in our experience.  And in event not have enough funds available and not accept CC they would most likely be fine going with you to a bank branch to obtain if you have no ATM card.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

You do not mention procedure but normally hospitals provide a high ball amount for estimates in our experience.  And in event not have enough funds available and not accept CC they would most likely be fine going with you to a bank branch to obtain if you have no ATM card.

Eye operation.

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

No I am not talking about WISE, Thai Banks are putting restrictions on transfers over 50.000 THB at a time.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-mBanking/MB-SecurityUpgrade

You need some kind of Face Scan done, but as with everything in TIT I wonder how this is going to PAN out.

And Face Scan funny when you just had an operation on your Eyes done :whistling:

That is a default setting - you can change it.  I use cards rather than phone apps so was not aware of that.

However, the customer can increase the personal limit in the application. (Click here to learn how to adjust personal limits).

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is a default setting - you can change it.  I use cards rather than phone apps so was not aware of that.

But why then the face scan, and how are they going to enforce it, my iPHone already uses Face Scan to get access, but I can use a 6 digit to access it if the Face Scan doesn't work., but how is the Face Scan in the Banking App going to work? And especially after a Eye Operation. Will there be a way to still get access?

@scubascuba3

Do you have any idea how this new Face Scan for Banking apps is going to work?

Edited by MJCM

Are you in hospital overnight?

Normally ( with the insurance companies i've used ) if you're inpatient they deal direct with hospital and settle the bill, if you're out patient you pay first and are then reimbursed.

Eye operation.

Yes but if what most of us have, cataract/iol, only one eye should be done and cost should not be much over 100k, if that.  At any rate you can pay with cash over several visits if you do not want to carry it all at one time.  But avoid phone apps so can not answer you query on using after changing your appearance.