Thai Shop Assistants.

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In my Thai bank, they tell you to take the mask off when at the counter

In my branch of Bangkok Bank, only to verify identity briefly. I usually ask they pull down their masks first to compare with their photo on the counter. That gets a laugh; sometimes they will.

• Love It 2

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You'd need to discuss it with them and fight all you wish. Me, I prefer to avail myself of their services.

I was in Bangkok Bank Jomtein Thursday and no mask needed, then Immigration.....no mask, Bangkok hospital Pattaya...no mask needed. 

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was in Bangkok Bank Jomtein Thursday and no mask needed, then Immigration.....no mask, Bangkok hospital Pattaya...no mask needed. 

Good for you. Still, when I'm out I never wear a mask and never encounter the difficulties of which the OP relates.

Edited by BigStar

22 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

But Charlie, in both cases I did not even open my mouth. I'm just sorry I didn't, but I will the next time.

After 16 years here, you didn't speak to them in Thai to tell what you wanted but just dangled some keys?

What did you need in the AIS shop and how would they know what you wanted if you didn't speak?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Mask wearing is part of Thai culture, even when on a scooter with no helmet.

While there are places and establishments that will accept walk-in customers without a mask, IME they are usually restaurants.

There is still quite a lot of COVID in Thailand. It's not surprising some places would refuse to serve a maskless person, especially if they were foreigners.

I don't wear masks for months and don't have an issue anywhere.

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

After 16 years here, you didn't speak to them in Thai to tell what you wanted but just dangled some keys?

What did you need in the AIS shop and how would they know what you wanted if you didn't speak?

I did not get a chance to speak. Can't you read my OP?

A lot of folk in LOS have died via Covid, that means a lot of folk have lost loved ones. Some folk who have lost loved ones may work in a shop and don't want the Covid that killed family, hassle brought into LOS by foreigners, so I can see why they may get upset when a farangy wonders in the shop breathing their stuff. ..................????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

In our Bangkok office building which houses many other companies, loads of Thai people don't wear a mask anymore. 

Up to them, or the businesses boss............

What is important to me is that I use my loaf, I slip a mask on in a shop, nooooooooooo ploblem, as the staff are usually all masked up, after all, they deal with a constant, daily flow of folk, who maybe carrying all sorts of nasties.

I reckon when Covid is done, staff may still wear a mask to deal with other airborne, spit born stuff....:clap2:

I've lived in Thailand for the past 22 years, I've had problems with bar girls with attitude several times but as I'm married now those are byegone days. I've also had problems over the years with shop keepers but I'm smarter than them as I keep control over myself and tell them straight I'm never going to their shop again. It's a legal way to hurt them bad as you're hitting them where it hurts Thais most, in  their pockets.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

I've lived in Thailand for the past 22 years, I've had problems with bar girls with attitude several times but as I'm married now those are byegone days. I've also had problems over the years with shop keepers but I'm smarter than them as I keep control over myself and tell them straight I'm never going to their shop again. It's a legal way to hurt them bad as you're hitting them where it hurts Thais most, in  their pockets.

Many of these same shop assistants have had a Thai university education. Are the universities in Thailand as corrupt as everything else is. My wife has 2 nieces who both graduated at leading Bangkok universities. Seriously their mentality is on a par with bar girls from Isaan who would've been lucky if their parents could've supported them through junior school without even considering high school.

• Confused 5

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

I can read your OP but you failed to answer my question: " What did you need in the AIS shop and how would they know what you wanted if you didn't speak?"

I am not wasting my time on this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:02 PM, NoshowJones said:

I will just state one example. Parents who give their motorbike keys to their 10 years olds. If you don't think that is low mentality you are the one who should provide a photo of yourself. Do you want any more examples?

Hmmm, I started riding motorbikes at 5 yrs old... Darn parents of low mentality ????????????

On 4/28/2023 at 3:32 PM, NoshowJones said:

I will just state one example. Parents who give their motorbike keys to their 10 years olds. If you don't think that is low mentality you are the one who should provide a photo of yourself. Do you want any more examples?

Not surprised of the incident 

5 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Many of these same shop assistants have had a Thai university education. Are the universities in Thailand as corrupt as everything else is. My wife has 2 nieces who both graduated at leading Bangkok universities. Seriously their mentality is on a par with bar girls from Isaan who would've been lucky if their parents could've supported them through junior school without even considering high school.

Definitely you seem to have a problem.

11 hours ago, transam said:

Up to them, or the businesses boss............

What is important to me is that I use my loaf, I slip a mask on in a shop, nooooooooooo ploblem, as the staff are usually all masked up, after all, they deal with a constant, daily flow of folk, who maybe carrying all sorts of nasties.

I reckon when Covid is done, staff may still wear a mask to deal with other airborne, spit born stuff....:clap2:

I test for Covid every week as required for work, done with the masks after it became not required anymore.