Is Now a Good Time to Buy Gold Bars?

I am told by a family member the price of gold is a bit high just now and I should wait till after the schools go back. I am told the best time to buy is after the annual holidays, is that right? Thanks.

• Confused 1

Buy for what? Terrible investment. 

The money supply went up 10X in the past 10 years. Gold should be at minimum 10,000 by now if it was following this trend and what it was designed to do. Now hardly up in the past 10 years.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

The price of gold is determined by a myriad of worldwide factors, so if your family member can predict what the price will be after the school holidays, thats absolutely amazing.....

The family member is my wife's sister, she has not predicted what the price will be, I was wanting to go to the gold shop about next week but she said it is better to wait until the schools starts as the price should fall.

I am a complete novice at this. Are any posters buying gold blocks now?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I am told by a family member the price of gold is a bit high just now and I should wait till after the schools go back. I am told the best time to buy is after the annual holidays, is that right? Thanks.

If you're buying for the long-term, the short-term price fluctuations shouldn't factor into your thinking. Question is: if you buy gold now, where do you think price will be in 5 or 10 years? That said, unless you're buying a significant quantity (say USD 50K), gain (or loss) won't be "retirement here I come money", so ...

Personally I think gold (and, though it pains me to say it, bitcoin and ether), could well see a lot of growth over the next 2-3 years as alternatives to the USD. There's just too much debt in US / Europe fuelled by the lowest interest rates for a generation. Then throw in governments printing money for covid relief programmes. Inflation takes off so central banks try to control that by raising rates aggressively ... which then feeds back into all that debt on, say, 10-year repayment terms due 2023/2024 etc. Plus you've now got China pushing more and more direct G2G trade in yuan, circumventing the USD.

If you do buy some physical gold, be prepared for the disappointment that a, say, 10 baht gold bar (which will cost you about USD 10K) is underwhelmingly small.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In terms of the AUD, gold was 500/ounce in 1999. It's now 3000/ounce, a better capital growth than most stock markets.

Gold is not an investment, which earn income. It's a currency hedge.

As far as I am concerned, it is always a good time to buy precious metals. I have lost money in the sharemarket, never on gold, silver or platinum.

It terms of AUD it is astonishing how much Australian dollar collapsed. Even if you bought a condo in Thailand you would see a better return than holding Asutralian dollars. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I suggest getting one gram pieces or gold chains, where the links can be easily snipped off, to buy a durian or a can of petrol.

That is a really bad idea considering you pay more for jewellery, compared to baht bricks. The OP would be better buying small bricks of less that 1 baht weight. though 1 baht bricks are an ideal size. Take a look at Aurora website.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

The family member is my wife's sister, she has not predicted what the price will be, I was wanting to go to the gold shop about next week but she said it is better to wait until the schools starts as the price should fall.

I am a complete novice at this. Are any posters buying gold blocks now?

I intend to purchase some gold bars and have been advised that when schools resume is when a lot of families sell gold for childrens/school expenses and historically pulls the price down.

I'm in no rush and willing to wait a month or so and then re-evaluate.If indeed it does happen I will buy.

On my 1st visit to LOS it was circa 4300 baht/baht.

At one time I was sporting a 3 baht chain around my neck.I can't imagine surviving a night on the town with that these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

- The FED printing trillions of dollars with nothing to back it up

And here an additional reason why people and institutions are fleeing from the US $

Almost half of America’s 4,800 banks are already burning through their capital buffers. They may not have to mark all losses to market under US accounting rules but that does not make them solvent. Somebody will take those losses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/05/02/half-of-americas-banks-are-already-insolvent-credit-crunch/

• Like 1

Yes it is now a good time to buy gold bars.

Attached below the link to an article written by Michael SNYDER which is indirectly related to the topic in this thread (the link being that a pending crash of the financial system will have people looking for ways of protecting their wealth).

https://www.2ndsmartestguyintheworld.com/p/the-banking-collapse-of-2023-is-now?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Here the intro to the article:

~ Collectively, the three big banks that have collapsed in 2023 had more assets than all 25 banks that collapsed in 2008 did.  Unfortunately, the banking collapse of 2023 is far from over. 

And here the concluding paragraphs of the - interesting - article

~ We really are on the verge of the largest commercial real estate crash in all of U.S. history.

And as mountains of commercial real estate loans go bad, a lot more banks will start to go under.

The “too big to fail” banks will scoop up those that they like, while others are simply liquidated and go out of existence.

Ultimately, I believe that we are going to see a wave of consolidation in the banking industry like we never have before.

We are still only in the very early chapters of this crisis.  Much worse is yet to come.

It is going to take a while for all the dominoes to fall, but each time another one tumbles over it will be a sign that the clock is ticking and that time is running out for the U.S. financial system.

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2023 at 4:56 PM, Adumbration said:

Yes they are.  All of my gold is comprised of 1 baht ingots.

Being ready to buy 1Baht Ingots soon, say 200,000Baht worth, how much can I expect to pay in commission? I just want to make sure no one takes advantage, I also want to pay through my Bangkok bank app, hopefully I will buy from an Aurora shop in China town.

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Being ready to buy 1Baht Ingots soon, say 200,000Baht worth, how much can I expect to pay in commission? I just want to make sure no one takes advantage, I also want to pay through my Bangkok bank app, hopefully I will buy from an Aurora shop in China town.

I would think Hua Seng Heng would be less commission

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I agree with @Proton. Hua Seng Heng is by far the best for commissions, at least for 99.9% gold which I've been buying from them for years. And be sure to get physical gold and stash it safely in a vault, not paper receipts which they also offer. At some point demand will outstrip supply if there's a failure of the $, and those holding paper will have a huge headache.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

I agree with @Proton. Hua Seng Heng is by far the best for commissions, at least for 99.9% gold which I've been buying from them for years. And be sure to get physical gold and stash it safely in a vault, not paper receipts which they also offer. At some point demand will outstrip supply if there's a failure of the $, and those holding paper will have a huge headache.

So I should avoid 96.9%? now I'm getting confused.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

Is the return on investment of gold over-hyped?

Also, don't you need to physically store the gold and isn't it subject to possible theft? 

Time is the issue with all investment classes.  I bought more gold in January of this year and I have already made 10% on that investment.

But whether it is the right time to buy more right now I am not so sure.

If the Thai ingot price gets to 33500 in the next week or so, I actually might sell.

Edited by Adumbration