Fun-loving UK teenager dies after taking drugs at Full Moon party in Thailand, inquest reveals

webfact

10 minutes ago, 2009 said:

It's not "cool", it's the the prefrontal cortex has not fully developed yet

Distinction without a difference:  once the cortex develops, the concept of "cool" loses most of its attraction.  

Just now, Jackbenimble said:

dont start defending her - fun-loving, “fiercely independent” teenager  - that is a polite way of saying she was a PITA and listened to nobody. Yes it's a tragedy but her parents let her get that way and now they are all paying the ultimate price. Parents these days seem to be able to just NOT be parents and blame everything on ADS or Gender indesurity or something.........just a s long as it isn't them. 

This might have been her first time using drugs, FMP is for many.....

Or are you suggesting her parents were aware of her ecstasy consumption?

6 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Pardon me, my point is the % of deaths vs use at these parties is neglegible.

I wonder what that number actually is.  Intuitively, I'd suppose you to be correct; they seem like raves to me.  These parties involve mostly young, healthy adults(-ish), but I do recall someone getting electrocuted at one of these things recently due to their use of some stupid bubble machine or what-not.   I would bet some people probably overdose on alcohol and ecstasy as well.  Maybe even a weed overdose or two.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Dying from just one ecstacy seems somewhat unlikely to me, because like any other illegal drug that comes as a powder or a tablet is usually cut to maximize profit. 

Either way, needless death. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Very sad, of course, but how many people actually die due to some sort of problem with the actual ecstasy tablet itself and not some sort of reaction?  I mean, these things get made in batches, so presumably many other people took them without incident.

• Confused 1

A series Flame posts, off topic posts and personal attacks have been removed. Continue and you will obtain a posting holiday.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

9 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Dying from just one ecstacy seems somewhat unlikely to me, because like any other illegal drug that comes as a powder or a tablet is usually cut to maximize profit. 

Either way, needless death. 

not likely MDMA itself but could have been dehydration which is not uncommon when taking this drug.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Recreational drugs aren’t a 'crutch' ,they are an enhancer,nor is the feeling of fun " false". By definition the fun aspect is a real feeling experienced at the time,it’s not intended to last beyond the occasion,other than perhaps a memory . It’s really no different in that aspect to having a few glasses of wine at a dinner party which most will agree oils the wheels. Did you not drink at those parties? If you did you took a drug,just a different one…

I have never "needed" enhancers and I don't need them now. I can self-generate the feelings of fun without hallucinogenic, stimulant-inducing and of course illegal drugs. Anybody that takes them are considered by the law as drug abusers.

I remind you that a girl (an otherwise healthy teenager as far as we know) has died from taking an ecstasy tablet.

I do not ever drink a "few" glasses of wine, just possibly two but mostly one. My wheels run as freely as I want them to without  "enhancers"

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Well according to the Daily Fail report;

The day after the Full Moon Party, on February 17 last year, she had a 'quiet, normal, hungover day' with friends - who did not witness her take another pill.

Then, at 9am on February 19, her lifeless body was discovered in bed at Phangan Arena hostel - known as a party hostel - when she did not wake for her alarm.

At the Coroner's Court, experts could not determine whether the tablet she took on February 17 was the fatal dose, or whether she took another tablet.

Sounds like a heart attack in the days following the FMP....

They say her blood contained 0.54milligrams (540 micrograms) at the time of death.  A typical pill contains 150 to 350 milligrams of MDMA.

Im not sure her death should be attributed to an MDMA overdose

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Recreational drugs aren’t a 'crutch' ,they are an enhancer,nor is the feeling of fun " false". By definition the fun aspect is a real feeling experienced at the time,it’s not intended to last beyond the occasion,other than perhaps a memory . It’s really no different in that aspect to having a few glasses of wine at a dinner party which most will agree oils the wheels. Did you not drink at those parties? If you did you took a drug,just a different one…

People who dont use will never understand.  Its the same thing as people who rip on guys who use steroids.  They think somehow their version of a good time is superior or in the steroids case, that their "natural"muscle is more hard worked for.

That being said, in today's age there's no way in hell I'm popping any pills or tootin' any powder.  Its a merciless world nowadays when it comes to this stuff.  No regard for life whatsoever and everything is tainted.  These kids nowadays go into it knowing Ecstasy is a tainted substance.  Some 20-something explained to me the other day the diff between X and Molly and it was very different from what I grew up learning in the 90s.  All Molly was X but not all X was Molly.  There's people out there calling 30mg oxys Percs which is completely false but thats just the drug culture these days

9 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I have never "needed" enhancers and I don't need them now. I can self-generate the feelings of fun without hallucinogenic, stimulant-inducing and of course illegal drugs. Anybody that takes them are considered by the law as drug abusers.

I remind you that a girl (an otherwise healthy teenager as far as we know) has died from taking an ecstasy tablet.

I do not ever drink a "few" glasses of wine, just possibly two but mostly one. My wheels run as freely as I want them to without  "enhancers"

You must be the life and soul at a party :unsure:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

"Again, you do understand that pharmaceutical "drugs " are saving countless lives worldwide? "

oh !!! like statins ?  worst junk in the world ..    if they would just teach people how to eat  "Human" food

and not the  grain/carb/sugar/processed oil and junk food they are ramming down everyone's pie hole

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

who knows where these "drugs/pills come from? what they contain? seems most do not have fatal reactions but sadly some people die from them all over the world. Considering that full moon parties generate millions of Baht free testing of "party drugs" would save lives and generate positive publicity.  It wasn't that long ago when people were poisoned by mossie coils in party drinks.  

1 hour ago, Trip Hop said:

The Netherlands and Amsterdam had the best solution to this in the mid to late 90s when the ecstacy boom started.  The MDMA in its pure form wasn't the biggest danger, it was the other chemicals and drugs such as ketamine that was being mixed into the pills by some to reduce production costs and maximize profit.  Something that I wouldn't be surprised to have some bearing on the case here?  Because they knew that they could never stop the trade and recreational use of the drug, they allowed charities to set up testing stations inside many of the clubs and raves, whereby you could take your pill, they'd scratch off a little amount to test and let you know as to whether there were any nasties in it.  No doubt it saved countless lives over the years and to the best of my knowledge there are certain places still in the Dam that offer this service for a small donation of a couple of euros? 

and there is zero chance that Thai authorities will accept that THEY allow the organizers to put on and they  approve of these Full Moon Parties - because it brings in tourist dollars. Just read today's news about 20,000 at the most recent FMP and all the money it brings in. This young woman and many more who died for similar toxicity reasons, I am sure would have had a better chance of surviving, if the Dutch model was in place. Remember......life is worth zero here.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1