Extra class after school possible?

Hello,

Like the title says, am I allowed to teach extra classes after school?

I do have a work permit and teach in a private school in Thailand.

Parents ask me to teach their kids after school all the time and I was wondering if it's actually allowed.

One more question.... If someone makes more and more money with tutoring, at what point should I keep track for tax etc?

In the future I'd like to get permanent residency, so I wonder if this will be something they are looking at, going after or causes a problem. Laws and everything here is clear as mud, so I hope someone could provide me with more information here.

Thanks in advance

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Technically not legal, but everyone does it.

Amazingly yes, indeed, every one does it. almost every "teeecha" I met in my kid's school rush from school for their extra-private sessions.
Only dude from Barklay's didn't (is it correct name?) he got 150K salary and jealous wife.

Another one was brit: lazy old fart and Singha-man, yet sweet and kind chap.

In the future I'd like to get permanent residency

good idea for sure!

• Confused 1

300 baht/hr minimum. If they balk at this price, tell them $10+/hr is what all the online services are paying, so you could just teach online. In fact I prefer teaching online as it eliminates much of the hassle, waiting for students, no shows, trying to collect payment. With the online services you always get paid on time. With in person students on payday, I frequently got all the lame excuses.

Minimum price means basic conversation, basic editing, grammar correction, homework help. More advanced teaching would be for the IELTS exam, university applications, essay writing, business English, for which you should charge more.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Is that serious.

Only accept cash.

Referred to as "under the table"

Well, I'm actually teaching like this for a while already, but parents rather scan the QR code as that is much more convenient for them. As I'm looking for PR, I wonder if anyone would point it out at immigration. Thai people say it's just a side job and there won't be much trouble unless I make a certain amount per year + what I do can be interpreted as related to my current work as all these students are from my own classes at school, but the usual news of immigration being annoying over everything makes me worry. Thailand is great at making people confused over nothing ????

34 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

good idea for sure!

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

However, if married to a local MUCH easier to get Citizenship and cheaper. 

I will marry my gf somewhere this or next year and have been in Thailand for nearly 10 years. However, I see lots of really vague requirements for the PR based on marriage or family. Do any of you have any information what is needed exactly? I've seen that I need to provide 3 years of my bank information etc. How could I explain money coming in, other than the job that provided me with my work permit?

If you have any information what's needed exactly for PR based on family or marriage, please let me know. I'd prefer to know from people having experience going through that process, because then it's a bit more clear than the usual list that you can Google. Nothing that's related to getting things done with immigration, you could google and get right instantly haha.

10 minutes ago, Joe32 said:

If you have any information what's needed exactly for PR based on family or marriage, please let me know. I'd prefer to know from people having experience going through that process, because then it's a bit more clear than the usual list that you can Google.

I went straight for citizenship, married 1 year+, 3 year tax receipts over 40k, 5000 baht fee are the main things.

Check out a Facebook page 'Thai Citizenship'

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I went straight for citizenship, married 1 year+, 3 year tax receipts over 40k, 5000 baht fee are the main things.

Check out a Facebook page 'Thai Citizenship'

Would you mind to DM (if that's possible here) about your experience in detail?

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

You should have a good job at an higher end private or international school. Your income needs to be shown on tax receipts, within country income, so money coming in from the outside wouldn't count. Lucky if you are, but I'd say 90% of us lowly teachers in Thailand aren't this. Take what you hear on AN with a grain of salt. I did do one year at a snooty BKK private school and wouldn't go back, no matter how much they paid me. 5 years married, nearly 10 years in the LOS, which I think was enough.

I got the highest I could at an Issan govt school, 40k, but then there were social security and tax deductions, so it couldn't hit the reqs, if I really wanted to stay. Then there's the other issues with Thailand, the heat, the cultural diffs, the income ceiling, which allows for decent living but not much more than that. No travel, no building a house, no retirement. Then there's also my wife who needs to make more money. 10 bucks a day out in the village is a total waste of her hospitality experience, as one of my online Japanese businessman students said, "Why the F is she doing that if she can speak English?" So for those reasons, the best thing for us to do was come back to the States. I just got back last week, and will prob be waiting for her a year for her visa to finish processing.

Uh-huh. Everyone on AN's making millions of baht and has a wife high in up govt or some multinational, and is going to get full Thai citizenship and will probably be offered a cabinet position by the PM. Haha. But for most of us, the LOS makes for a great stop off along life's journey.

What's your plan back in the US?  Trying teaching there, or something else?

13 hours ago, Joe32 said:

Well, I'm actually teaching like this for a while already, but parents rather scan the QR code as that is much more convenient for them. As I'm looking for PR, I wonder if anyone would point it out at immigration. Thai people say it's just a side job and there won't be much trouble unless I make a certain amount per year + what I do can be interpreted as related to my current work as all these students are from my own classes at school, but the usual news of immigration being annoying over everything makes me worry. Thailand is great at making people confused over nothing ????

I will marry my gf somewhere this or next year and have been in Thailand for nearly 10 years. However, I see lots of really vague requirements for the PR based on marriage or family. Do any of you have any information what is needed exactly? I've seen that I need to provide 3 years of my bank information etc. How could I explain money coming in, other than the job that provided me with my work permit?

If you have any information what's needed exactly for PR based on family or marriage, please let me know. I'd prefer to know from people having experience going through that process, because then it's a bit more clear than the usual list that you can Google. Nothing that's related to getting things done with immigration, you could google and get right instantly haha.

Joe I help kids learn to read grammar and conversation.  500 one on one  300 if a group do not do it at the school or let the school know they will want a cut.  Also set rules about attendance.  Parents think nothing of not showing up for lessons.

32 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Joe I help kids learn to read grammar and conversation.  500 one on one  300 if a group do not do it at the school or let the school know they will want a cut.  Also set rules about attendance.  Parents think nothing of not showing up for lessons.

I understand, but if I ever want to get PR, they will need to see 2 or 3 years of what's happening with my bank. The big question is, will they complain about it?

And if I make enough money to reach the yearly amount which forces me to provide my info for tax, won't I get in trouble when they see that it's not noted in my work permit? (please note that the current amount is still low, but with a bit of effort, it'll be an easy way to make a good amount of money, so I'll be sure if it will be possible, tricky or just not possible)

I do not know any teacher who doesn't teach extra classes after school. Some even teach the children of police or someone at immigration lol. So, somehow it seems to be allowed, but like always in Thailand, the answers are either 'yes, but...', 'no, but....' or 'technically...'.

29 minutes ago, Joe32 said:

understand, but if I ever want to get PR, they will need to see 2 or 3 years of what's happening with my bank.

You could just open another bank account.

Does your regular teaching job pay you over 80k baht per month to be over the threshold for PR?

You probably can't declare illegally earned money from your side gigs to add to the 80k requirement.

The only way to do it legally is if the parents pay the school and the school pays you, or you would need to have your own company and bill the parents through this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe32 said:

I understand, but if I ever want to get PR, they will need to see 2 or 3 years of what's happening with my bank. The big question is, will they complain about it?

Get a second bank account!

As another poster already said, forget PR, go straight for citizenship after marriage to a Thai as it's much easier.

Edited by BritManToo

19 hours ago, Joe32 said:

I do have a work permit and teach in a private school in Thailand.

Parents ask me to teach their kids after school all the time and I was wondering if it's actually allowed.

One more question.... If someone makes more and more money with tutoring, at what point should I keep track for tax etc?

Your school should be able to inform you about legality of work permit for home teaching, it's quite often done, also by foreign teachers.

In principle all income is taxable and when looking at the income tax rate in percent in the lower figures it's between 5% and 10%, so not worth avoiding with risk of future problems (said by a person coming from a country where the lowest income tax rate from work is 46%...:whistling:)...????

4 hours ago, Joe32 said:

And if I make enough money to reach the yearly amount which forces me to provide my info for tax, won't I get in trouble when they see that it's not noted in my work permit? (please note that the current amount is still low, but with a bit of effort, it'll be an easy way to make a good amount of money, so I'll be sure if it will be possible, tricky or just not possible)

I do not know any teacher who doesn't teach extra classes after school. Some even teach the children of police or someone at immigration lol. So, somehow it seems to be allowed, but like always in Thailand, the answers are either 'yes, but...', 'no, but....' or 'technically...'.

The challenge is that most of us teach by cash or under the table.  I amsure that most Thai teachers do not even count it when they pay their taxes.

If you are using it to increase your amount paid then I would highly suggest talking to an accountant or lawyer to see how it can be done.

I was always under the impression that if you had a WP for teaching then you were good to go but again I may be wrong.

8 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The only way to do it legally is if the parents pay the school and the school pays you, or you would need to have your own company and bill the parents through this.

Was thinking about having my gf start a business maybe. 

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Get a second bank account!

That will be registered by the same name. Won't be looked in? 

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As another poster already said, forget PR, go straight for citizenship after marriage to a Thai as it's much easier.

I assume that even though it's much easier in the long run, I probably still have to give them the same amount of paperwork if not more. 

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

In principle all income is taxable and when looking at the income tax rate in percent in the lower figures it's between 5% and 10%, so not worth avoiding with risk of future problems

I'd like to do it the honest way, but not aure if they'll make the WP thing a problem????

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I amsure that most Thai teachers do not even count it when they pay their taxes.

They mostly don't, because, if I remember it right, they make less than 120,000 per year and therefore don't have to file taxes on that. 

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I was always under the impression that if you had a WP for teaching then you were good to go but again I may be wrong.

Same here, but well... Lately you are seeing more and more about foreigners taking work away from Thai people and them stressing that you only may work the job that's in your WP. I really love Thailand, but sometimes immigration gives me unnecessary headaches. ????????

12 hours ago, Joe32 said:

I assume that even though it's much easier in the long run, I probably still have to give them the same amount of paperwork if not more. 

But the paperwork only needs to show an income of 40kbht/month.

And no Thai language requirement.

PR is intended for corporate employees/NGOs/factory owners on full expat packages.

Not foreigners eking out a low paid teaching wage.

Edited by BritManToo

23 hours ago, Joe32 said:

I use to teach the police and the daughter of the head of 7 Isarn provinces.

I suggest you go to the local police station and offer your services. Trust me, if you are staying here long-term it is worth having friends there.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Joe32 said:

There really is no comparison between PR and Citizenship. 

One is 5,000 baht, plus 5,000 baht to a charity and you can buy land, vote, work as anything,  get a passport etc.

One is 100,000 baht, there is a language requirement, you have to still renew every 5 years, and you maybe need a reentry permit, you are still a foreigner.