Two German Pedestrians Seriously Injured After Being Hit by Sedan in Pattaya

webfact

2 minutes ago, Victor Laszlo said:

Looks very much like the car was on the wrong side of the double yellow lines upon impact.

The right wheels are about on the double yellow lines so what makes you say that? Crossing a 4 lane/2 way Rd without there being any central reservation is very dangerous. 

Wow. The pedestrians did nothing wrong. Exactly as you would coach anyone to do. Looked both ways. Proceeded with caution. The driver came at high speed, on the wrong side of the road, and with one wheel on the yellow center line.

The Germans can sue. They will be awarded a significant settlement, both civil from the driver and the insurer. Not that they would have wanted it.

Each of us can see our Grandads here, doing everything right....except not anticipating and looking for the drunk driving at high speed on the wrong side of the ride. Hope they're ok.

• Like 2

Just now, Victor Laszlo said:

Oh yes, even after all these years still cross with extreme caution.

I had a reminder just a few weeks back on Klang. Beware crossing between stationary vehicles presuming someone won't be racing the wrong way to reach the lights. My legs were shaking a while later. 

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The right wheels are about on the double yellow lines so what makes you say that? Crossing a 4 lane/2 way Rd without there being any central reservation is very dangerous. 

Been crossing this road for twenty five years, I'm well aware of how dangerous it is, I'm just giving my humble opinion after looking at the video several times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drgoon said:

I wonder what the pedestrians excuse will be as to why they didn't take the very brief time to see if there was a vehicle turning. 

Your dumb comment shows the typical attitude these days of people shifting blame onto others in an attempt to release themselves of any responsibility for self care.

Goon is taking the drunk's approach to life: deflecting, with where the car parked, not where it drove. The photo shows where the driver returned to the correct side of the road and parked after he hit them. The vid shows where he was.

22 minutes ago, Un Homme du Midi said:

The left wheels are on the double-yellow. The entire car is right of it, on the wrong side of the road driving the wrong way at high speed.

Yes, apparent on the video... he moved over to park I suspect. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

How about two guys stumbling across the road without checking traffic, after a beer or maybe several, thinking that everywhere in the world traffic stops whenever someone walks up to a pedestrian crossing? Just speculating, you know, as we all do without facts...

Watch the video.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Victor Laszlo said:

Been crossing this road for twenty five years, I'm well aware of how dangerous it is, I'm just giving my humble opinion after looking at the video several times.

Have you made it over there yet?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Says in the linked article: 

"He did not see both foreigners and only realized they were there when his vehicle hit them."

How do you not see two humans on a decently lit road? Especially when you as the driver, need to be looking out for pedestrians and road hazards constantly.

Mobile phone springs to mind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

How about two guys stumbling across the road without checking traffic, after a beer or maybe several, thinking that everywhere in the world traffic stops whenever someone walks up to a pedestrian crossing? Just speculating, you know, as we all do without facts...

Without facts? There is a video in the linked article showing exactly what happened.

They were waiting on the middle line of the road to let traffic from the left pass.

While standing there they were hit by the car coming from the right. The car also drove on the wrong side of the road, so would be surprising if the driver wasn't drunk.

818245033_Screenshot2023-05-07080044.jpg.59a6e261153017bdf3db027956263c86.jpg

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Which one? Don't drink, or don't cross the street with greet care? 

Well both, really need to as you said without EXTREME care, ....greet care sounds like a welcome slogan for maybe a private hospital :giggle:

Edited by brianthainess

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

A Thai driver accepting blame for an accident is the most amazing number 1 feature of this story.  Not fleeing the scene; not appearing intoxicated either are close 2nd & 3rd.

That's unfair. Thai's as a whole accept blame as often as most. Every country has its weasels.

Speaking of which....Tom Cullinan's I and III, IV, V looked mighty fine today.

Edited by Un Homme du Midi

14 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I wasn't there either but i often see tourists just walk out into the road and expect any car to stop for them. Not speculating on who was at fault but accidents like this can easily happen.

Accidents like this can happen, as you say. Caveat pedestrem, for sure. But cars must stop, even for drunk idiots. Pedestrians have the right of way, by Thai law, even if the right is abused.

More often, I've seen motorbikes and cars speeding, weaving wrecklessly, and endangering properly behaving pedestrians.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I wasn't there either but i often see tourists just walk out into the road and expect any car to stop for them. Not speculating on who was at fault but accidents like this can easily happen.

Yes easily happen  especially when  a car driver is not looking at the road ahead 

12 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

From my experience u cross the road swiftly,don,t walk slow.Know the rules and it seems they thought that crossing the road was a slow walk.The other version is thais don,t observe crossing either

More nonsense. The driver wasn’t even in his lane. 

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Why not watch the video before posting such speculation…and then suggesting that you weren’t speculating ????

43 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Or the 2 Germans walking / staggering home from a BAR  :drunk:

They were just standing there and got hit, them being drunk or not had no effect on the accident. If you would look at the evidence you don't have to speculate.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

when I saw the title my mind just went into the Hit and Run type of accident, glad it's not the case as the driver stayed and he's cooperative

true - it appears if driver did not run as norm !!! so may a plausible reason for accident ???