Dark predictions as the opposition parties look set to sweep to power in next weekend’s Election

webfact

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

and then........Thailand goes BANG!!!!!! The writing is on the wall. Which way Prayut responds to it is the great unknown. Will it be peace or will it be revolution?

Same everwhere in the world there is no democracy and say in the UK lucky if 25 per cent do vote.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Democracy over absolute rule can be very dark indeed for those who lose power. 

But maybe now it's time for the electorate to prevail.

Seems to be true, step by step. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deez said:

How is having a legitimate elected government "dark"?  What a stupid headline

I think the point is that the will of the people will not be outcome and having 250 paid off lackeys in the senate is in no way democratic hence there is a likelyhood of large scale social unrest which is a "dark predicition". 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I think, sadly, that there will be something which will cancel, rebut or otherwise put a stop to the election process, now it is looking increasingly likely that the opposition parties are heading for a spectacular victory.

There are several possibilities, a pending significant death announcement leading to cancelling proceedings, or banning of parties due to shocking discoveries being the most likely. The latter of course can take place well after the poll.

Cynical, but I tend to agree.

The odd thing is Prayut could just remain quiet, knowing he always has the Coup Card to play yet again. Hardly seems likely he's 'one and done', should the need arise to 'secure Prayut's Thailand's future'

29 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I've asked some Thais and their response is pretty much the same. Draw their finger across their neck aka cut his throat. I would call that hate. My wife hates him. My daughter hates him. My wife's entire extended family hates him. People I work with hate him. I think hate is perfectly apt for how the majority of this nation feels about Prayut. This will be reflected in the election.

OK, I never have seen something like that...not even when there was the uprising against Thaksin. I can't predict what the majority feel. A lot loud noises are noticed more than some silent majority.

18 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I think, sadly, that there will be something which will cancel, rebut or otherwise put a stop to the election process, now it is looking increasingly likely that the opposition parties are heading for a spectacular victory.

There are several possibilities, a pending significant death announcement leading to cancelling proceedings, or banning of parties due to shocking discoveries being the most likely. The latter of course can take place well after the poll.

Bangkok Post had an article/poll that was with the opposition just a small victory. The poll was very different than the other ones. Either some polls are propaganda or just too cheaply made.

I see after the election the banning of 2 parties or at least some people from these parties, as there are already wrongdoings that look obvious that are reported to the EC. When the parties are disbanded you can cheaply buy some of their MPs. I can't imagine what shocking discovery?

• Sad 1

Just now, dinsdale said:

The silent majority as you say are about to vote en masse albeit for PT or MFP against Prayut. If he goes against the will of the people the silent will no longer be silient.

I wasn't in the South for a while, but I would very much doubt that someone there vote for PT...Bangkok is always mixed...But I agree that the masses in Nordeast and maybe Nord will vote for PT. But don't know if that is enough.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

These negotiations are more than likely already in progress at least from prayut's standpoint to get him back in through minority parties. The group of 250 is already sewn up.

The challenge will not be building but dismantling.  You are going to see challenges against PT and MFp parties to have them outlawed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The challenge will not be building but dismantling.  You are going to see challenges against PT and MFp parties to have them outlawed.

BKK post wrote something....They got already reported for violating the election laws. So it already began.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, h90 said:

I wasn't in the South for a while, but I would very much doubt that someone there vote for PT...Bangkok is always mixed...But I agree that the masses in Nordeast and maybe Nord will vote for PT. But don't know if that is enough.

It used to be that the Dem Party will dominate in the South. Unfortunately those days are gone. The deep south have seen the most dramatic change from DP to the Prachachat Party which won most seats in the last election. They are a coalition party of Pheu Thai. This election may see the Move Forward Party upsetting many of the seats held by PPRP. Meanwhile all seats up for grab by many parties like BJT, Chart Pattana, UTN, PPRP and PTP. I am expecting some surprises in the South.  

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The people are expecting a fair vote where their voice is heard and respected.

If prayut remains as PM all respect for him will be lost as the people will know for sure there is no democracy.

I agree with the first part of people expecting a fair vote but the second part of not knowing there is no democracy. If they don't already know, they never will.

I have heard the absurd term Thai democracy being thrown around. There is no such term. Democracy doesn't mean having all those senators in place before a vote is even allowed. Its complete nonsense. 

One thing for sure these next few weeks are going to be interesting.:coffee1:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, h90 said:

Sure.....but that doesn't mean much. I recall the forming of the Abhisit government where they had to take the mobile phones and lock them into a hotel, as Thaksins wife called them one by one and offered more money. And buying out a few of them collapse everything.
The complete system is rotten.
The 250 are not a sure thing. If Prayut is second and best would be with the majority of votes (like last time) they can easily vote for him. But if he is third or 4th it will be difficult to explain. They can't make a looser to be premier .... well they can but I think the wouldn't do it....I hope for some 10 party coalition. Because as more they block themself as less they can do.....as less the government can do as better for the people. (being cynical)

Your recall is wrong.

The judiciary removed the elected government on trumped up charges whilst the yellow shirt mobs shut down the airports.

The military then twisted arms and offered huge bribes for MPs to switch sides to Abhisit.

...Abhisit came to power illegitimately with the connivance of the military and other parts of the traditional Thai ruling class who were fearful of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's 

...the Democrats, would become the government after 5 years absent from power with the Army appointed Abhisit Vejjajiva from the barracks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwest10 said:

Same everwhere in the world there is no democracy and say in the UK lucky if 25 per cent do vote.

And in the US candidtaes tell massive lies, obvious to all, plus candidates with small funds no chance of getting ny publicity, on the other hand big business gives enormous amounts of funds to scaly unethical politicians to pay for expensive and often way less than honest TV spots. 

'Democracy' at work. 

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Cynical, but I tend to agree.

The odd thing is Prayut could just remain quiet, knowing he always has the Coup Card to play yet again. Hardly seems likely he's 'one and done', should the need arise to 'secure Prayut's Thailand's future'

And no doubt several clever generals on hnd to concoct reasons to sue/jail anybody. 

1 hour ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Your recall is wrong.

The judiciary removed the elected government on trumped up charges whilst the yellow shirt mobs shut down the airports.

The military then twisted arms and offered huge bribes for MPs to switch sides to Abhisit.

...Abhisit came to power illegitimately with the connivance of the military and other parts of the traditional Thai ruling class who were fearful of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's 

...the Democrats, would become the government after 5 years absent from power with the Army appointed Abhisit Vejjajiva from the barracks.

did I say something different?
They offered huge bribes for the MPs and Thaksins wife called them and offered even higher bribes.....And than the red shirts started a violent mob against Abhisit...paid by Thaksin.....Which was silly because Abhisit was so weak that just letting him doing would have shown how weak he is.....

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

It used to be that the Dem Party will dominate in the South. Unfortunately those days are gone. The deep south have seen the most dramatic change from DP to the Prachachat Party which won most seats in the last election. They are a coalition party of Pheu Thai. This election may see the Move Forward Party upsetting many of the seats held by PPRP. Meanwhile all seats up for grab by many parties like BJT, Chart Pattana, UTN, PPRP and PTP. I am expecting some surprises in the South.  

Yes I think the Dems aren't very popular anymore in the South. Prachachat was the Prayuth party? Or do I mix up the many ever changing parties?

I don't know where it goes in the South but I have the feeling no one likes the Dems anymore. (OK not noone but they lost popularity)

I walked amoungst the BKK intersection protesters prior to the last coup. It was populated with the general's own Yellow Shirt supporters and some southern malcontents. His latest statements therefore should be taken as a threat not a warning.

it was

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

a revered abbot in Chiang Mai is predicting a return to street protests and civil strife

Now we know why the 1,000 baht exit fee - from all those rushing to exit Thailand should there be trouble (like another coup)??

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The Prime Minister’s United Thai Nation (Ruam Thai Sang Chart) Party has released a video clip warning of the danger of Thailand reverting to a land of political turmoil

he's preparing his next move, dissolving any (threatening) opposition party thus one more easy peezy win

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, h90 said:

did I say something different?
They offered huge bribes for the MPs and Thaksins wife called them and offered even higher bribes.....And than the red shirts started a violent mob against Abhisit...paid by Thaksin.....Which was silly because Abhisit was so weak that just letting him doing would have shown how weak he is.....

Without those Red Shirt protests there would not have been an election called in 2011.