Thailand’s cannabis sellers say US growers are eating their lunch

webfact

9 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I can buy illegal weed cheaper in UK than LEGAL weed in Thailand   so the greed and stupidity THAI factor is working as normal   Lower ur prices  and u will sell more ,, Thats market rules 101

Agreed.

I buy 28 grams at £150 in the UK although i am happy to smoke the compact bush at 1000 baht for 28 grams when i get to Thailand.

After a week the tolerance to the high grade smoke wanes and i get just as wrecked off the low grade smoke.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

750-1000 was the highest I saw and those are even higher than UK prices. The growers I know in England sell good quality for £10 a gram. Nobody should be paying any more than that imo. 

I paid 340 baht for a gram pre-roll in a new dispensary in Udomsuk the other day.  Not very impressed with it. Claimed 22% THC but after smoking about 1/3 I wasn't very stoned.

When weed was first legalised I paid 900 baht a gram and that was good, but way too expensive to enjoy every day at that price.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Where can I find this 150-190 baht per gram USA WEED? There's no way top shelf exotic import is selling that cheap.

If anyone has a good plug, message me please. I pay around 380/g for import top shelf quality. If you know a place that's cheaper for the best of the best quality, message me ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

For medical purposes?

AFAIK cannabis is only legal for medical purposes and NOT for recreational use.

If there is a problem, please contact the BJT and Anutin in particular for screwing up the legislation in his mad rush to be the next PM in Thailand.

BTW nobody has forced any cannabis shop to open.

it is just a normal business risk in which some win and some lose. If your shop is being undercut, then cut your prices and your profits and sell quality goods.

If that is beyond your comprehension, then stop crying about it.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, bwanajohn said:

The government needs to put  100% tax on foreign weed like they did coffee beans .

Then they can have another domestic industry that never evolves to compete internationally.

I find most of the bud here is old and stale probably due to poor handling.

The problem is that it is neither completely legal nor completely illegal.

So which part do you want to tax?

If it is illegally imported/smuggled into the country, do you catch the smugglers and make them pay the import tax, inspect every ganja shop, every week and tax the shop owners who bought the stuff, confiscate it etc.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I see lots of shops in relative expensive areas selling weed. They wouldn't be in those places with high rent if they wouldn't make (relatively speaking) a lot of money. 

seem to have lots of weed shops here, still keep opening up, and paying very high rents too

but they are complaining there is too much competition and not making enough, surprise surprise 

I have some doubt about the accuracy of this. How is illegally imported weed arriving in sufficient quantity to affect sales? More likely that local growers are undercutting the big boys who are asking silly prices.

Of course my opinion is based on buying $5 ounces of Mexican commercial, mm, a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, n00dle said:

That said i found a weed supplier that does a sativa at 3 for 1000, and it is so potent im  terrified of it despite the fact that i am a lifelong smoker used to very high quality weed.   

Can you provide a link, please? ????

I was there a few months ago, stayed for 6 months. Everyone in Thailand is growing the stuff. How the heck is the US undercutting them... My GF grew several plants at her house and could not give the stuff away there was so much of it. Ridiculous.

• Haha 1

I don't know the prices in the U.S., but I bought the best premium indoor stuff in Barcelona's cannabis clubs for 300/400 baht for one gram.

In shops in Thailand, the equivalent quality is sold between 700 and 900 baht (obviously cheaper online). Considering the cost of manpower in Thailand, It's obviously overpriced.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The legal Thai weed market is still new and thus relatively expensive; the US scene (legal or otherwise) is matured and extensive. Local weed can still be got cheaply in Thai, but those shops whinging about being undercut clearly need to draw down their prices in the face of competition. They have already made big profits. 

9 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

How is illegally imported weed arriving in sufficient quantity to affect sales?

Via air freight, at Suvaranbhumi, in 5 and 10 Kg shipments, labeled as "Christmas Decorations". One such delivery was made public, and referenced others. The VIP/HiSo person involved said he wasn't doing anything illegal because if he were he'd use a fake name.

Thais or their partners are buying legal wholesale cannabis in the U.S. and Canada, then shipping it to Thailand.

How do you think the thousands of other illegal items, from cannabis concentrates to eCig to sex toys "arrive" here? By magic?

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would have thought the 3bht/gm brick from Laos would be of greater concern than the 500bht/gm flower from the USA.

Curious asks how the "illegal" weed is getting here from the states?

Or would an answer to that be opening a can of worms?

On a recent visit to Portland Oregon the dispensary had  large swathes of buds available for 2$ (70baht) per gram and that is inclusive of testing packaging and most significantly taxes.

7 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I was there a few months ago, stayed for 6 months. Everyone in Thailand is growing the stuff. How the heck is the US undercutting them... My GF grew several plants at her house and could not give the stuff away there was so much of it. Ridiculous.

there is a massive difference in quality/potency between indoor and outdoor grows. Outdoor is not really considered salable, unfortunate as i would personally prefer it on a price basis if it wasn't bricked.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, youngexpat said:

there is a massive difference in quality/potency between indoor and outdoor grows. Outdoor is not really considered salable,

What do you mean by "outdoor", and "indoor"?

For example, a fabric greenhouse with or without supplemental light? Is that indoor or outdoor?

And quite a few longtime traditional Thai growers, like Aram “Uncle Dam” Limsakul, would probably disagree with your hot-take.

As would growers in Mendocino and Humboldt Counties.

48 minutes ago, youngexpat said:

On a recent visit to Portland Oregon the dispensary had  large swathes of buds available for 2$ (70baht) per gram and that is inclusive of testing packaging and most significantly taxes.

I'd need a bit of proof to believe this assertion. Yes, some eigths are as low as $20 (before tax and fee), and bulk wholesale is as a low as $4 gram based on a kilo purchase.

But I'm having a hard time understanding the relationship between the price in Oregon and in Thailand? I mean other than Thai smugglers should be sourcing Cannabis in Oregon, which they probably already are.

I guess Thai smugglers could be buying on the underground/illegal, black/grey market. I hadn't considered that before.

Edited by bamnutsak

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When you pretend to sell very small amounts of unregulated something for 500bht/gm, the opportunity for money laundering is immense. The shops only need 'pretend' customers.

This is a very astute comment by BM2.  It is the main driver for the oversupply of dope shops.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, curtklay said:

Can you provide a link, please? ????

its the weed shop in the thai wakepark parking lot cant remeber its name.

The sativa 3/1000 strain is called ... damn i cant remer that either.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

This is a very astute comment by BM2.  It is the main driver for the oversupply of dope shops.  

I've heard this "astute" comment made about everything including nail salons, hair salons, coffee shops, bars, go-gos, massage parlors, sex shops....

I mean this topic has been charting on the Barstool Banter Top 10 for at least twenty years.

Can anyone explain how it works for cannabis shops? Who's doing it? Which currencies are being laundered? How many of the 4,550+ cannabis shops are involved? Seems really convoluted. But I'll believe anything.

• Like 1