How Much Can YOU Eat at a BUFFET? What is the best strategy to get your money's worth?

C'mon guys. There are many buffet style places in the Malls. Prices vary from 400 thb up to 1000 thb.

Shabushi isn't bad for 400thb all you can eat, sushi rolls and all the fresh meats and veggies you can cook in broth. For decent steak and salmon you'll pay closer to 500+ thb for all you can eat at other places. But still a pretty good deal IMO. Now the regular outside buffet joints you see everywhere for 200-300thb is not my favorite.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

C'mon guys. There are many buffet style places in the Malls. Prices vary from 400 thb up to 1000 thb.

Shabushi isn't bad for 400thb all you can eat, sushi rolls and all the fresh meats and veggies you can cook in broth. For decent steak and salmon you'll pay closer to 500+ thb for all you can eat at other places. But still a pretty good deal IMO. Now the regular outside buffet joints you see everywhere for 200-300thb is not my favorite.

Tsunami Sushi is the only buffet I go to any more. If memory serves, they're about 700 baht, and you don't get the food yourself. You order each item and the servers bring it to you. And it really seems a cut above, more geared towards quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Sizzlers salad bar

I made the mistake of eating at Sizzlers once and there was a guy there who visited the salad bar about 5 times. That's all he ordered. Low lifes.

Edited by Henryford
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Most buffet's here have a time limit 75 - 90 minutes, and limit order input (volume, time), offer cooking methods which are self-restricting.

And don't get me started on these food challenges, the "eaters" at which are a bit tone-deaf when it comes local/global hunger issues.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

There are no local hunger issues.

The temple will feed anyone.

... now you did it.  The farangs will start Q'ing up awaiting the monks return from alms collecting.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

... now you did it.  The farangs will start Q'ing up awaiting the monks return from alms collecting.

Off topic,

I cycle to a temple at the top of a hill 2x a week.

The Monks always put a bag of food on the table while I'm trying to get my breath back.

Tea, coffee, cold water all there for the taking if you wanted or needed it.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There are no local hunger issues.

I said local/global.

And I think you are seriously out of touch if you believe there are no local hunger issues.

But apologies for my steering us off-topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KaputtAlreadyNa said:

I don't understand why some of you guys called those people who goes to competitive prices buffet as * low life *  Just because you are sitting on a high horse does not mean others cannot have a life. Is it because you are having a * low life * in your home country, the reason for moving here so that you can be on a high horse in this * low life* country.

Warmest 

Whoops, touch a nerve, did I? :cheesy:

I don't understand why some of you guys called those people who goes to competitive prices buffet as * low life *

It's simple really, 'all you can eat' buffets are packed to the rafters with life forms so low that they make the guests on the Jeremy Kyle show look cultured.

MackieDee's also has competitive prices, would you hold an adult's birthday party there., Christmas dim-sum @ the local 7-11?

Is it because you are having a * low life * in your home country, the reason for moving here so that you can be on a high horse in this * low life* country.

Not at all, preferring quality food to cheap & nasty slop does not put me on a high horse and I wouldn't attend an 'all you can eat' buffet in my home country either.

In fact, if anyone is on a high horse, I would suggest that it is the one that believes that Thailand is a * low life* country.

To be fair, I actually do approve of all you can eat buffets, it keeps the Chang wife-beater wearing peasants away from trying to feed turnips to my high horse.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Tsunami Sushi is the only buffet I go to any more. If memory serves, they're about 700 baht, and you don't get the food yourself. You order each item and the servers bring it to you. And it really seems a cut above, more geared towards quality.

Shabushi is the one with the endless train of plates. The rest you order as you want it. Ok yours sounds good, I would rather pay more and have quality meat.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I made the mistake of eating at Sizzlers once and there was a guy there who visited the salad bar about 5 times. That's all he ordered. Low lifes.

I"ve done the salad bar deal a few times. It's OK, kinda good to fill up on veggies. Not sure why you consider patrons lowlifes. It's just guys trying to eat healthy.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually can get through about 5 platefulls.

Whenever I am staying in Pattaya or ko Samui i head to the Centara's for breakfast.

The trick is to not shower and dress like you just got out of bed. They, like some other hotels dont actually ask you for a room number, so you show up, walk down to the pool and then head up for a free buffet breakfast.

It is really good quality.

• Sad 2

I eat until I'm pleasantly full.  I don't eat until I'm gorged. And I tend to eat my fill of salad if they have a good salad bar - pleasantly full.  Best value?  What people looking to gorge in order to get the "their money's worth" are doing is strengthening their own internal greed.  Gorging is a very animalistic, pig-like characteristic. 
I don't go to buffets to over-eat in order to get "value."  I go to buffets to get a wide selection of foods that are otherwise not on my menu.
For me it's about enjoying the diversity of foods, it's about enjoying the experience - not gluttony to get your "money's worth".

However, I stopped going to dinner buffets in Thailand.  Why?  When the pigs belly-up to the feeding trough, the pleasant experience goes right out the window.  The last Western dinner buffet I went to at a hotel in Chiang Mai was my last.  I'm willing to stand in line cordially and politely and wait my turn.  But it seems that the other 90% of the diners fall into the porcine category, literally shoving and elbowing to get to the front of the line.  And no - it wasn't The Chinese.  It was a very representative cross-section of ethnicities - farang, Thai, and others.  I don't do Western style dinner buffets anymore.  I will go to Thai dinner buffets as there is usually a wider selection of foods and a much more civil and polite atmosphere. People aren't clubbing each other to get to the roast beef because?  There isn't any roast beef. 
I have made one exception for the Chiang Mai Expat Club breakfast at the old Riverside.  People were generally polite probably because most people there were acquaintances and friends.  That was always a pleasant experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Interesting.  People who would rather eat salad than steak are now low-lifes? 
That's a pretty broad brush as in your humble opinion all vegetarians and vegans would qualify as "low-lifes."  Hummm  ????

So those attending the annual Thai vegetarian festivals must all be "low-lifes."

In some snooty circles where Michelin restaurants are their only choice of dining, the HiSos would consider everyone at a Sizzler to be "low-lifes."  Something to ponder.  :thumbsup:  Class and status are quite relative.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I"ve done the salad bar deal a few times. It's OK, kinda good to fill up on veggies. Not sure why you consider patrons lowlifes. It's just guys trying to eat healthy.

5 plates of food is healthy?

So this is just another China-bashing thread at the end of the day. 
Mathew 7:3

Btw - those "crabs."  All shell and very little meat.  Not quite like Alaskan King Crabs.

• Like 1