UK government scraps plan to replace all EU laws by the end of 2023

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is probably the reason why I haven't been able to buy straight bananas in my UK Supermarket .

Surely there must be, at least, one MP who is courageous enough to put their political career at risk by tabling an 'Early Day Motion' on this subject?

It's an outrage that such critical matters haven't been debated in Parliament.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RayC said:

Surely there must be, at least, one MP who is courageous enough to put their political career at risk by tabling an 'Early Day Motion' on this subject?

It's an outrage that such critical matters haven't been debated in Parliament.

It’s an outrage that the Government believe they can bypass parliament on hundreds of laws.

Brexit has delivered Government by executive edict.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Up to us.

The British do what we want. Why, you might ask? Well, 2 reasons…

1. We’re British.

2. We do what we want.

Yeah, sure. But does it make any sense? Does it make any sense from your point of view as a Brit? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Of course, the vast majority of British people didn't vote for brexit in 2016, and even more British people want a return to the EU now. 

If you don't vote you give up your voice.

Those who cared enough to vote, voted to leave by a majority. That's democracy.

Your notion that people want to return is inane. No doubt based on polls of 1000 Islington lefties or bitter Scots.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I am not questioning the methodology, I am challenging your suggestion that brexit occurred because the British, en mass, wanted brexit. If that was the case, the percentage of the electorate who actively voted for it would be higher than the mid 30s, which if I recall, was the reality. 

The EU might not have gotten the support needed to prevent this ongoing disaster, but brexit in no way reflects the views of the majority of Brits.

Hiding behind the fact some people didn’t care enough to vote is pretty lame IMO. 

You could discredit almost any democratic vote by claiming those who didn’t vote agreed with you.

Those who voted, voted to leave. Simple as…

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Hiding behind the fact some people didn’t care enough to vote is pretty lame IMO. 

You could discredit almost any democratic vote by claiming those who didn’t vote agreed with you.

Those who voted, voted to leave. Simple as…

You wrote "the British do what we do" as if to imply that brexit had the majority support of the country. At least, that was what I inferred.

If, however, you did not intend to suggest that brexit had the support of the majority of the electorate then I humbly apologise.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You wrote "the British do what we do" as if to imply that brexit had the majority support of the country. At least, that was what I inferred.

If, however, you did not intend to suggest that brexit had the support of the majority of the electorate then I humbly apologise.

Those that don't vote are basically saying " what ever happens, happens". They are, therefore, happy to go with the result. 

Therefore, the 52-48 vote is what they went with.

I remember studying maths at school. I believe over 50 out of 100 is a majority. If you can prove that wrong, please do.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Those that don't vote are basically saying " what ever happens, happens". They are, therefore, happy to go with the result. 

I always thought I was saying "no suitable candidate" 

I was in Thailand for Brexit so no vote for me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Therefore, the 52-48 vote is what they went with.

I have met lots of people who didn't vote in the referendum for various reasons but precious few who were happy with the result. I think you are being a little biased to assume no vote can be taken as approval.

And now, I can literally think of only 2 people I know personally who think brexit was the right idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I have met lots of people who didn't vote in the referendum for various reasons but precious few who were happy with the result. I think you are being a little biased to assume no vote can be taken as approval.

And now, I can literally think of only 2 people I know personally who think brexit was the right idea. 

A no vote could mean anything. But one thing that it does mean is that that voter didn't care enough to be moaning about it now.  

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, RayC said:

It's an illusion.

Outside of the EU, the UK has little influence on the world stage. Biden shoehorning a 20-minute meeting with Sunak between landing and going off to the pub showed what importance the US now attaches to the UK.

Unless you want to condemn the UK to economic decline, it will need to trade with the rest of the world. Contrary to what Michael Gove said in 2016, the UK does not hold all the cards: If we want trade deals with the US, India and China, the UK will have to play by their rules. The Brexit negotiations with the EU have shown that.

No. It just shows what a moron Biden is.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1