Bravecto shortage

Over the last year to six months, I have found it increasingly difficult to find Bravecto for sale. I would search Lazada first and although suggestions of Bravecto would appear below the search box as I typed when I pressed search No Bravecto could be founds except 1 shop selling at a high price. Then I would google search and this would normally throw some results up which were on Lazada that were hidden and at reasonable prices. Or if nothing appeared I’d search shops on Shopee. After a lot of searching I would normally find something at a satisfactory price and that seemed genuine. 

Now this last time now that the dogs are now due  a dose I started the search. I only found one shop that seems genuine and that has to paid in advance through LinePay App. 

When I attempted to pay I had a message from the shop saying the the 6boxes I was attempting to order were now sold, a bummer coz they were a reasonable 650baht each for spot on 10/20kg dogs. 

I just shot a message over to the shop again and ask them did they have any more packs in now and the Kids are coming back. ” บริษัทจะไม่ผลิตแล้วค่ะ ทางบริษัทแต้งมาแบบนี้ค่ะ “ 

This reads that the company has stopped production. 

I am gutted if this is the real situation because you here many bad stories about these medications for ticks and fleas but although Bravecto gets a bad rap I’ve given it to more than 10 dogs and over seven of those dogs have had it for two years and I’ve never had a problem. They now look show dogs but  once you stop giving that stuff they turn into mangy, flea and tick mutts that just bite and scratch themselves all day. It’s no fun

After setting out my experience I will now open the floor to comments from the floor. 

I buy the Bravecto tablets from a couple of different vets and a local pet store (in Bangkok), depending on where is most convenient when I need it. I've not had any trouble finding it, and I last bought one about 2 weeks ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

It has also become more difficult to find Nexgard Spectra for our dog. Expensive as well. Bought a box of three from the only merchant on Shopee that is selling it. Not sure if it is working as well as it should, so may visit the vet to see about alternatives.

Frontline seems to be readily available, but I think it is only in liquid form that needs to be applied to the back of the dog's neck. I prefer the Nexgard Spectra chews that I can mix into his food.

36 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I buy the Bravecto tablets from a couple of different vets and a local pet store (in Bangkok), depending on where is most convenient when I need it. I've not had any trouble finding it, and I last bought one about 2 weeks ago.

Well if you’re buying from Vets or pet shops in Thailand where shop owners seem to think that a 30% profit is not enough and they have to hide on 50% then how much are your boxes costing?

I would like to take the opportunity to advise anyone new to dogs in Thailand of my experience because I’ve currently got seven dogs but I’ve had quite a few and I’ve had to learn the hard way, and lost a few dogs through been Laxey Daisical  which should not have happened and should’ve still been alive today 

On the subject of Bravecto Chews VS Spot On… I always went for the chews thinking that one hundred percent of it was going in the dog if more expensive. But after not have chews every time I ordered I plumped for Spot-On 3 month liquid tube and have never looked back. I have gone well over 4 months  with no sign the dogs are leaving their show dog condition. Not one of 10 dogs I had at one sitting would eat a chew and having to mash it up for each dog was a chore as the chew has a very tough consistency. 

One tip for Spot On application of anything is Do not put the whole tube on the skin at once. Pick lots of sites on the back not just one. If the Mar gets a wet patch in one place you can guarantee he they will shake 300baht of that liquid in all directions. Dip Dip Dip that stuff down the back bit by bit to prevent over saturation of the area. 

As I say I would leave it as long as possible to apply the next dose. As @BritTim said he’s had one 3month dose last a year, and I can believe it. 

I was too skinflint to buy it at the start thinking it was too expensive at 500 Baht plus per three-month dose for an average of six dogs. But after every month having to take at least one of the dogs, sometimes 2 to the vets to get treated for blood parasite one day, I just said no, enough is enough and haven’t looked back. 

One problem I did have with one of our dogs, Wolfie, she likes to hang around with the dog next door. They are literally boyfriend and girlfriend. Now I had her and all the other female dogs ‘Tam man ‘ ed recently, hysterectomy, speying. 3500baht a dog with blood tests. Now, although Wolfie, along with the rest of them gets perfecto spot-on, which protects against ticks and therefore blood parasite, she had, when tested, a low blood cell count. Which prevented her from having her operation that day. This was a nuisance because I had driven 14 hours non-stop to get back from Chang Rai from a motorbike tour back to PhonPhiSai at 1Am and had to wake up early and get the Wolfie ‘Done’. There is a ‘ Q’ as they call it in Thai and miss that appointment and you could be waiting weeks to get the next appointment. So the Bravecto which was of recent application did not prevent her developing this Blood Parasite. I was sent away with 10 days of really expensive treatment 2000baht i believe and on return her blood was ok.  Wolfies boyfriend next door  has no treatment and like most alpha males I have come across doesn’t get sick and seems to have immunity to everything. My two original dogs suffered horribly from Distemper until I found a vet who would put them to sleep. While this dog , Wolfies boyfriend , is flea bitten and with ticks has never been vaccinated or shown or any affection just kept on a chain for most of the day, and let go at night to prevent him running after motorcycles , while he watches all my dogs run after motorcycles,  they have a great life. Yes next doors dog has had no problems while all the dogs over two years in the Soi including my dogs died. That’s was my fault actually. I never took those two original dogs back to the vets to get a booster vaccine so they were riding on their own naturally immunity and that was evidently not enough as all dogs in the area perished. Mine lasted longer as a fed them. Others in the neighbourhood will have died from starvation and dehydration as their loving Thai owners put a bowl of sticky rice on the floor for dinner that they couldn’t get to as they will have been paralysed by the Virus. 

It’s an eye-opener on life and death, the way that dogs and humans live in Thailand.

On the subject of Canine Distemper. Our vet said she was using a new treatment for this virus which has previously been untreatable Mai Mee Lak Sah. Our Vet, who is a young woman about 30 from the looks of things who I was sceptical of at the start as she had just left university, has proved herself to be a fantastic Vet on many occasions. I can totally recommend her she is in PhonPhiSai NongKhai. 

Hope somebody picks something up From what I’ve learned. Although most AN TV members know everything ????????

I use a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water. I spray it on a bandana which the dogs then wear tied around their necks. Apparently the tics hate the stuff and won't stay on the dog.

Downside of course is that the place smells like a fish and chip shop when I am getting them ready in the morning 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I use a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water. I spray it on a bandana which the dogs then wear tied around their necks. Apparently the tics hate the stuff and won't stay on the dog.

Downside of course is that the place smells like a fish and chip shop when I am getting them ready in the morning 

Yes I’ve heard of the holistic approach. There is a FB page called ‘Bravecto NexGuard Etc kills dogs’ Some very out there concoctions promoted.

I’m totally open to the suggestions that these products can cause side effects but I have yet to see one for myself. This FB group comes across as a bunch of AntiVaxers ( mind you I wouldn’t entertain the latest one for Humans) some of them actually are anti vax and do ‘ Titre ‘ tests to evaluate their dogs present immunity to the prevalent viruses around them. Saying that dogs are over vaccinated, I really have no clue. 

Do you leave the bandana on all the of time ? 

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Buy this,it is cheap and really works well.4000 is for smaller dogs 8000 is for bigger dogs.

image.png.a56823bd202fa7736baf46da1eec30d6.png

I ran into a Thai person a few months ago who had some of this. I do believe she said it was about 70 Bart. I poo pooed this stuff saying if this works then why are NexGuard and Bravecto 600 Bart up a pack every three months. Surely this is just ivermectin for parasites which does have its uses in guarding against heartworm ? But not (Hep and Mat) ticks and fleas ? 

I’ve never used just ivermectin though. 

I will look it up and see if it’s a possibility for the future. I’m just worried about changing from something that works 

IMG_4471.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevey said:

I ran into a Thai person a few months ago who had some of this. I do believe she said it was about 70 Bart. I poo pooed this stuff saying if this works then why are NexGuard and Bravecto 600 Bart up a pack every three months. Surely this is just ivermectin for parasites which does have its uses in guarding against heartworm ? But not (Hep and Mat) ticks and fleas ? 

I will look it up and see if it’s a possibility for the future. I’m just worried about changing from something that works 

IMG_4471.jpeg

It is very effective against ticks,that is why we use it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tiber said:

This is ivermectin, nothing less, lazada have it cheap 

I hate to be the Grammar Police but so you mean it’s ivermectin, nothing more ? I’m confused. Is it ‘ nothing more ‘ than Ivermectin? 

Surely it’s the Endectocide that’s doing the tick prevention. 

I’m very unsure about all these pesticides. 

When I know Bravecto works I’d like to stay with it. I’m unsure why the shop said they are ceasing production. 

7 hours ago, jvs said:

It is very effective against ticks,that is why we use it.

Same here. I buy sachets of ivermectin powder from a local "pharmacy" and give it to the dogs (1 sachet per dog) every 2 weeks. Keeps them tick-free. 

Tick Powder.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevey said:

Yes I’ve heard of the holistic approach. There is a FB page called ‘Bravecto NexGuard Etc kills dogs’ Some very out there concoctions promoted.

I’m totally open to the suggestions that these products can cause side effects but I have yet to see one for myself. This FB group comes across as a bunch of AntiVaxers ( mind you I wouldn’t entertain the latest one for Humans) some of them actually are anti vax and do ‘ Titre ‘ tests to evaluate their dogs present immunity to the prevalent viruses around them. Saying that dogs are over vaccinated, I really have no clue. 

Do you leave the bandana on all the of time ? 

My house is on the edge of the village, in quite a large paddock. The dogs get the bandanas when I open the doors in the morning, and I take them off when they come in when it gets dark. They don't wear them every day, maybe 4 days a week.

I don't have a particularly "anti vaccines" view, the dogs get their shots from the vet every year. But with four, (a Chihuahua, a Chihuahua mix, a little Pomeranian and a German Shepherd) the commercially available treatments work out expensive!

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Stevey said:

Well if you’re buying from Vets or pet shops in Thailand where shop owners seem to think that a 30% profit is not enough and they have to hide on 50% then how much are your boxes costing?

I don't remember what I paid most recently at a pet shop. But I still have the receipt for the previous one from a vet, and I paid 700 THB for it (10-20kg).

I stopped buying meds off Lazada after getting multiple fake Seresto collars and a box of fake Nexgard Spectra, and they were just the ones I could tell were fake. If I couldn't afford to buy Bravecto from a vet, I'd switch to ivermectin.

20 hours ago, Stevey said:

... some of them actually are anti vax and do ‘ Titre ‘ tests to evaluate their dogs present immunity to the prevalent viruses around them. Saying that dogs are over vaccinated, I really have no clue. .

I am very much pro-vax, but yearly boosters for rabies are ridiculously excessive. Many countries have switched to a 3 year booster schedule instead of yearly (for the same vaccine).

It's common for dogs that have had multiple yearly boosters to test at 30+ IU/ml. The required level is >0.5. But I still have to get my dog vaccinated yearly to keep his international papers valid.  

12 hours ago, Stevey said:

I hate to be the Grammar Police but so you mean it’s ivermectin, nothing more ? I’m confused. Is it ‘ nothing more ‘ than Ivermectin? 

Surely it’s the Endectocide that’s doing the tick prevention. 

I’m very unsure about all these pesticides. 

When I know Bravecto works I’d like to stay with it. I’m unsure why the shop said they are ceasing production. 

It's ivermectin point 75 dose not 100 from China I use tick flea powder too couple of shakes on back couple xs a week not had tick flea for year s

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I am very much pro-vax, but yearly boosters for rabies are ridiculously excessive. Many countries have switched to a 3 year booster schedule instead of yearly (for the same vaccine).

It's common for dogs that have had multiple yearly boosters to test at 30+ IU/ml. The required level is >0.5. But I still have to get my dog vaccinated yearly to keep his international papers valid.  

Have you Titre tested in Thailand, how much. 

6 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I don't remember what I paid most recently at a pet shop. But I still have the receipt for the previous one from a vet, and I paid 700 THB for it (10-20kg).

I stopped buying meds off Lazada after getting multiple fake Seresto collars and a box of fake Nexgard Spectra, and they were just the ones I could tell were fake. If I couldn't afford to buy Bravecto from a vet, I'd switch to ivermectin.

700baht for Bravecto from a shop is reasonable. But don’t know what that would be now. 

On 5/12/2023 at 4:53 PM, Tiber said:

Ivermectin will do, cheap on lazada 

You can't find Ivermetic on Lazada anymore.  Use to be able to buy 100 for under 400 THB.  Can't even find it anymore.  <Poof> and it's gone
Works for ticks, fleas, worms, and heartworms as was dirt cheap. 

Was!

54 minutes ago, connda said:

You can't find Ivermetic on Lazada anymore.  Use to be able to buy 100 for under 400 THB.  Can't even find it anymore.  <Poof> and it's gone
Works for ticks, fleas, worms, and heartworms as was dirt cheap. 

Was!

I believe Google and Lazada are pushing the other brands. Google Bravecto and see how every other brand appears but no Bravecto.

It is there but you have to put the work in. But as I say a shop I had a conversation with said they are stopping production. Which I’ve actually suspected a long time

9 hours ago, Stevey said:

Have you Titre tested in Thailand, how much. 

I haven't. I got my dog tested before we came here. As far as I know, the only lab in Thailand that does rabies titer testing (or at least the only one with international accreditation) is the National Institute of Animal Health in Bangkok.

They charge 3,000 THB for the test and certificate. They will draw the blood as well for another couple of hundred Baht. Or you can have it taken at any vet clinic and just send them the serum for testing.

If I didn't need to keep his papers valid, I wouldn't bother getting him repeatedly titer tested, I'd just get a booster every 3 years instead of yearly 

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 9:11 PM, Stevey said:

IMG_4471.jpeg

That is well wrong I have used Ivermectin on our dog for some years no, I inject them, and it works well against tics and fleas, but not again flies ,no jab will work against flies.

As for flukes, they are only one or two drugs that can cure flukes, and one is not recommended, but can be used, Ivermectin is not one, best way make sure the animal does not eat any small snails, the intermittent host.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:25 AM, Sheryl said:

For those set in Bravecto, I just found it here

http://www.vet-petclub.com/

Site is only in Thai but works well in Chrome translate

Well managed to navigate to the Bravecto in Thai, not bad. 

10-20kgs B730+B80 carriage 

B920 for a box. 

People seem to think this En-dex4000 is good. I bought 3 boxes for B100 last week from Lazada. Tiber reckons the cheap stuff works on his dogs. 

IMG_5373.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 2:33 AM, Stevey said:

Well managed to navigate to the Bravecto in Thai, not bad. 

10-20kgs B730+B80 carriage 

B920 for a box. 

People seem to think this En-dex4000 is good. I bought 3 boxes for B100 last week from Lazada. Tiber reckons the cheap stuff works on his dogs. 

IMG_5373.png

Well the girlfriend has apparently given the  En-Dex 4000 to the dogs and now all have ticks for the first time in 2 years. This is annoying. It’s dangerous to not have them treated as they will develop blood parasite and other skin problems. Still no sign of Bravecto on Lazada other than shops with zero reviews and spelling Bravecto in Thai and looks ( Ugandan accent)  “very doh-Jee”. 

most annoying. I’m gonna go with Sheryls suggestion but I prefer to go under the protection of Lazada.