The Truth About Fake Meat

Many of those so-called plant based meats, for example Beyond Meat to name just one well known name, have nothing to do with plants.

They are grown in a lab.

https://www.inverse.com/article/58515-lab-grown-meat-beyond-burgers-the-7-in-vitro-foods-coming-to-plates

Edited by BenStark
Evidence added because some wiseacre thought my post was laugable.
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Many of those so-called plant based meats, for example Beyond Meat to name just one well known name, have nothing to do with plants.

They are grown in a lab.

Your own article says Beyond Meat is based on plants and not lab grown.

Unlike Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat which use plants to try and recreate the taste of meat, lab-grown meat takes a slightly different approach.

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

I don't think reading again it will change the content. I've quoted it. Can you quote where it says otherwise?

For you only  Beyond Meat which use plants to try and recreate the taste of meat

Which means thy use plants to create the flavour, not to create the meat. BIG difference

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

For you only  Beyond Meat which use plants to try and recreate the taste of meat

Which means thy use plants to create the flavour, not to create the meat. BIG difference

Nowhere in the article does it say that Beyond Meat uses lab grown meat. They speak about other projects and explicitly say Beyond Meat are not doing it. It would be absurd because the whole thing of Beyond Meat is to not use meat but plants based organic material.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

To the person who keeps posting a laughing emoji what is funny about it? It is the trues just Google it 

Your response to the laughing emoji poster made me laugh.

(I thought I had better type that and tell you....things would have got really out of hand if I had posted a laughing emoji to convey my amusement at your reaction to the laughing emoji poster)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's somehow funny that something like "fake meat" exist at all.

If people want to eat meat, fine.

If they want to eat plants, fine.

But why try to make plants look like meat? It doesn't make sense.

They are people who were brought up to really enjoy the "sensuality" of the meat experience and don't want to abandon it....but they've decided they don't like the killing and/or the environmental damage of meat production and/or the health consequences they might suffer as a result of consuming it.....so they go for the fake stuff.

A bit like people wearing fake fur.

Pretty simple really.

I think it "somehow funny", and somewhat revealing about you, that you totally failed to get that.

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Enoon said:

They are people who were brought up to really enjoy the "sensuality" of the meat experience and don't want to abandon it....but they've decided they don't like the killing and/or the environmental damage of meat production and/or the health consequences they might suffer as a result of consuming it.....so they go for the fake stuff.

A bit like people wearing fake fur.

Pretty simple really.

I think it "somehow funny", and somewhat revealing about you, that you totally failed to get that.

You mean it's like wanting to eat apples without eating apples. So, they paint a tomato to look like an apple and eat it, pretending it to be an apple.

Yeah, right. That obviously explains it. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But why try to make plants look like meat? It doesn't make sense.

Ha Ha Ha

Herbivores do exactly that very successfully.

Leg of mutton looks like meat, tastes like meat but is derived from plants.

• Haha 2

I like meat and dislike plant based or lab grown meat. However lab grown meats are healthier (disease free), chemical free, and environmentally more sound than real meat. The future is heading that way so we (most likely future generation) will have to get used it it. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Basso53 said:

As a non meat eater I prefer nothing that even resembles it.

Bravo. If you are vegan( I am not) why “ pretend”? 
I do eat more vegetarian meals now for health reasons, but why dress them up like meat? Then again I was a weird kid and enjoyed my veggies.????

• Like 1