Life certificate

essexman

I'm sure this is on the forum somewhere, but I can't find it.

Would someone be kind enough to guide me through the Life Certificate form which arrived today.

A couple of things I'm not sure about.

Proof of identity.  Do I copy my passport on a separate sheet of paper and get the witness to sign that?  Or do they just sign the declaration.

I live in Jomtien, any pointers to who i can get to sign and stamp the form?

Any help will be appreciated.

3 hours ago, essexman said:

Am I right in thinking you just show the witness your passport.  You don't have to send a copy of the passport with the life certificate?

You're correct, you don't need to send a copy of your passport with the Life Certificate.
The witness is signing to confirm that they've seen your passport.
There are numerous retired UK Civil Servants and Bank Managers in Thailand, any one of them can countersign the form.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Sorry to interrupt but what is a life certificate?

Once you start claiming your UK state pension it's a form they send out that you have to fill in and send it back to the UK.  It's to prove you are still alive.  What I'm seeing is no one is sure if they will get the form or not.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, essexman said:

Once you start claiming your UK state pension it's a form they send out that you have to fill in and send it back to the UK.  It's to prove you are still alive.  What I'm seeing is no one is sure if they will get the form or not.  

Which is correct......????

Last year I emailed them because I hadn't received one for a while, they sent the form to print off.......

Thanks for the answers, I will get it witnessed by my local lawyer.  I was told that it can be witnessed at the immigration office.  On a side note, can I ask the safest way to send the form back to the UK?  I've heard registered post is very expensive, so I may go the EMS route.

34 minutes ago, essexman said:

Thanks for the answers, I will get it witnessed by my local lawyer.  I was told that it can be witnessed at the immigration office.  On a side note, can I ask the safest way to send the form back to the UK?  I've heard registered post is very expensive, so I may go the EMS route.

I was going to use a Courier but it was expensive for a single slip of paper..... it went Thai Post, from one of those Mail Box places in the Mall. Not expensive...

• Thumbs Up 1

I've signed these for people and, since I'm retired and have no 'stamp', I always give a copy of my "engineer with professional qualifications" certificate to send off. Never a problem. The person who signs mine is a retired policeman and I simply state this on the form. He's 90 now and his signature is very shaky, almost illegible. Again, no comeback over 4 years. I'm sure that, if you asked, there are many British folks who could sign for free and they actually understand what they're signing. I've never understood why a Thai signatory with 'qualifications' is afforded more credence than a Briton without.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PPGuy said:

On topic:

I am arranging the signature via Euro-Thai Law office, opposite side entrance to Big C on South Pattaya Road, near to the Key Visa office. Have used them previously as they have a Notary on staff and the cost is Bt500.

As others have stated, copy of passport not required to be sent to UK, only completed form.

I use this firm as well. 500 is the most i would pay.

Just received mine yesterday. It was mailed 8th.January 2023.

As you have sixteen weeks to get it endorsed and returned, I guess I am out of luck.

Will find out tomorrow when my pension payment is due in my bank.

From Gov.UK website

Acceptable witnesses 

Recognised professions

Examples of recognised professions include:

accountant

airline pilot

articled clerk of a limited company

assurance agent of recognised company

bank or building society official

barrister

chairman or director of a limited company

chiropodist

commissioner for oaths

councillor, for example local or county

civil servant (permanent)

dentist

director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company

engineer with professional qualifications

financial services intermediary, for example a stockbroker or insurance broker

fire service official

funeral director

insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company

journalist

Justice of the Peace

legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)

licensee of a public house

local government officer

manager or personnel officer of a limited company

member, associate or fellow of a professional body

Member of Parliament

Merchant Navy officer

minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)

nurse (RGN or RMN)

officer of the armed services

optician

paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)

person with honours, for example an OBE or MBE

pharmacist

photographer (professional)

police officer

Post Office official

president or secretary of a recognised organisation

Salvation Army officer

social worker

solicitor

surveyor

teacher or lecturer

trade union officer

travel agent (qualified)

valuer or auctioneer (fellow or associate members of the incorporated society)

Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

Not that this is probably of great interest to anyone else but, as an example, I used a friend in the tax office to witness mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kidneyw said:

Just received mine yesterday. It was mailed 8th.January 2023.

As you have sixteen weeks to get it endorsed and returned, I guess I am out of luck.

Will find out tomorrow when my pension payment is due in my bank.

Just curious, was your letter properly addressed?

Mine arrived just before the Songkran break and was dated 3rd January. 

The address did not include the Country and the province had been shortened to Nakhon Ratc. I guess the letter went through the automatic letter readers several times before being spat out as insufficiently addressed and then it required manual intervention to forward it.

Add to that industrial action in the UK by RM workers and a postman over here who delivers only when the mood takes him, which unfortunately for me appears to be not very often, and the weeks soon passed.

I now wait to see if I receive my state pension at the end of the month.  

got the same form for my Dutch AOW, but that is fully electronic these days. form send by email, via a secured DigiD system.

you print some forms , we have to have approved by the Thai Social Security office, than scan and send back electronically via DigiD system. after some days, I received confirmation from the office that my papers were received.

9 hours ago, essexman said:

I always send the form back using Registered Airmail.  It takes about 7 - 10 days to get to Newcastle, via the Wolverhampton mail center.

The cost is around 130 Baht, compared to 1,200 using EMS.

As a safeguard I send an email enclosing a copy of the completed form, telling them that it is en route, but there are always problems with the Thai Postal system. I also ask them to confirm receipt of the form, which they always do.

Regarding the non-receipt of the form, I also email them every 2 years to ask if the form has been sent or is due. I also ask that they send a copy by email which they always do.

As far as getting it witnessed, I use either a Doctor at a local hospital (who I have to see every 3 months) free of charge, or the Abbot at a local Temple. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by JustinCredible
correct spelling and add text.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Received form 12 May dated as sent 8th Jan.

Phoned 08.00 UK time Monday.

Informed them it had taken 18 weeks to arrive. I got My Pharmasist to sign and in post.

Asked a few security questions including marriage  date to late wife?

He has amended file that I am still alive, and could take up to 3 weeks standard airmail (48Baht).

I forcefully suggested that no one in Thailand should have pensions stopped as some cheapskate officials sent the forms Netherlands mail, which has been on strike since January.  He will inform  supervisor.

Recorded telecom for any further action.

Chas

• Like 2

I did mine in February. this year for the UK pensions Office at my local Doctors clinic - in English - did it for free! Yes a proper stamp and I watched him read every word on the form.

41 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

I always send the form back using Registered Airmail.  It takes about 7 - 10 days to get to Newcastle, via the Wolverhampton mail center.

As a safeguard I send an email enclosing a copy of the completed form, telling them that it is en route, but there are always problems with the Thai Postal system. I also ask them to confirm receipt of the form, which they always do.

Regarding the non-receipt of the form, I also email them every 2 years to ask if the form has been sent or is due. I also ask that they send a copy by email which they always do.

As far as getting it witnessed, I use either a Doctor at a local hospital (who I have to see every 3 months) free of charge, or the Abbot at a local Temple. 

Hope this helps.

And when they receive the life certificate they say, "Oh No!, he's still alive!"

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I did mine in February. this year for the UK pensions Office at my local Doctors clinic - in English - did it for free! Yes a proper stamp and I watched him read every word on the form.

It doesn't need a stamp.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 3:00 PM, essexman said:

Am I right in thinking you just show the witness your passport.  You don't have to send a copy of the passport with the life certificate?

sounds sensible,,, why make the receiving authorities do some unguided search when copy  gives instant guidance.

44 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

Hope this helps.

Overkill.

Any 'respectable member of the community can witness the DWP life certificates.

I doubt they ever get to Newcastle; someone in Wolverhampton will tick a box and file the life cert in a bin.

Standard airmail will suffice, quickest I have seen is 7 days. 

A smart person will diarise for the state pension due 16 weeks after the forms were sent. We know the exact date to expect it - if not there after 1/2 days call the International Pension Centre and they will immediately reinstate the pension on the strength of the phone call.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1