People of color and women are underrepresented on state supreme court benches, report finds

onthedarkside

image.png.7dfd8b164b9a92e6763de2f72f20e3d7.png

State supreme court justices are disproportionately White and don’t reflect the diverse populations they serve, a new report has found.

According to statistics released by the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law, only 20% of justices are people of color despite Black, Latino, Asian American, Native American and multiracial people making up 40% of the US population.

Additionally, the study found that in 18 states, all state supreme court justices were White. 

READ MORE

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/16/us/supreme-court-justice-diversity-reaj/index.html

CNN.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Judges should reflect somewhat the society that they are judging.  With a greater diversity of judge backwards justice will tend to improve and decisions better accepted by more people. Not about quotas or perfection. There are well qualified candidates from very diverse backgrounds. 

Like I say, choose the best person for the job.....colour shouldn't come into it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

Like I say, choose the best person for the job.....colour shouldn't come into it.

When it comes to how it actually happens that a court is all straight white men that is incredibly naive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

When it comes to how it actually happens that a court is all straight white men that is incredibly naive.

What difference does it make what their sexuality is or what their race is ?

Are Black people and White people different or something ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What difference does it make what their sexuality is or what their race is ?

Are Black people and White people different or something ?

According to some people on here....yes. Personally, I just wanna see the best people doing the best job. Regardless of race. But for many Americans it seems, a lot seems to revolve around race.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

“Judicial diversity is key to ensuring the legitimacy and efficacy of our court system,” the report says. “A diverse bench leads to increased public confidence in the courts and richer judicial deliberations.”

But that is just bringing race into it.....black, white, yellow, green....who cares. Surely you must want the best person for the job, no? I guess what I'm trying to say, if you choose the best person for the job, the diversity thing will work itself out naturally.

Edited by AndyFoxy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And what are those life experiences , based solely on ethnicity and sexuality and would make them better at applying the law in Court ?

They are dealing with a public that is not only straight white men. Applying the law isn't an algorithm. Would you not find it strange if the Supreme Court in your state was all Latina lesbians? Would that inspire your confidence in the justice system?

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They are dealing with a public that is not only straight white men. Applying the law isn't an algorithm. Would you not find it strange if the Supreme Court in your state was all Latina lesbians? Would that inspire your confidence in the justice system?

It wouldn't , no .

I am not bothered about a persons ethnicity and I am not bothered about their sexuality , my only concern would be that they follow the law and their ability to do their job

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As long as they could do the job properly, who cares about their race/sex?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

But that is just bringing race into it.....black, white, yellow, green....who cares. Surely you must want the best person for the job, no? I guess what I'm trying to say, if you choose the best person for the job, the diversity thing will work itself out naturally.

The left cares. They need to stir up a lot of animosity for the coming election. 

What about Clarence Thomas? He's black, yet they hate him. 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The left cares. They need to stir up a lot of animosity for the coming election. 

What about Clarence Thomas? He's black, yet they hate him. 

Yes, that's true. I just don't see why race has to come into everything. 

32 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It wouldn't , no .

I am not bothered about a persons ethnicity and I am not bothered about their sexuality , my only concern would be that they follow the law and their ability to do their job

Sorry I don't believe you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, AndyFoxy said:

Yes, that's true. I just don't see why race has to come into everything. 

Sure it doesn't matter if you're a straight white man and the court is all straight white men. Nothing fishy about that.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure it doesn't matter if you're a straight white man and the court is all straight white men. Nothing fishy about that.

But you are the one bringing up race, gender and sexual orientation. It shouldn't matter, as long as they are the best people for the job. Black, white or another race, male, female, gay, straight. As long as they can do the job, who cares? Well..... obviously you. Surely you want people who can do the best job possible, no?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Their life experiences are.

That’s it in a nutshell! obviously anyone considered for the courts must be qualified for the position obviously life experience is indeed an important quality in a judge.seems to me there’s a lot of ( fishing) on this particular thread lol ???? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

But you are the one bringing up race, gender and sexual orientation. It shouldn't matter, as long as they are the best people for the job. Black, white or another race, male, female, gay, straight. As long as they can do the job, who cares? Well..... obviously you. Surely you want people who can do the best job possible, no?

Bait ignored as you have studiously ignored my points.

1 hour ago, AndyFoxy said:

Ok, so in US jury selection the selection process helps to make sure that jurors represent a cross section of the community, without regard to race, gender, national origin, age, or political affiliation.

So what does the community of the US consist of?

Black, Latino, Asian American, Native American and multiracial people make up 40% of the US population.

So when you have 18 states, where all state supreme court justices were White, that is clearly not representative of the community.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And when "the left" in the USA insist on putting all minorities everywhere, independent of their qualifications, then they shouldn't be surprised when people vote for the right - because they don't have these stupid ideas.

Personally, I always thought of myself as center left. But when I see these idiots with those stupid ideas that makes me rethink my affiliation with the left.

• Like 2