Nigel Farage: ‘Brexit has failed’

webfact

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No. What is more likely is that if the U.K re-joined the E.U we would have to drop the Pound and use the Euro.

Pretty sure that the U.K wouldn't want to do that , we.ve only just had new Pound notes made with King Charlie on them

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, polpott said:

Which, in plain English, means that Brexit has failed. Doesn't matter whose fault it was, Brexit has failed.

Don't say that I didn't warn you.

No it doesn't . 

You really need to listen to the whole context . 

Nigel wasn't making a straightforward stand alone statement about Brexit failing .

It wasn't a : Nigel , what do you think of Brexit .

*Its failed *

The reporter asked the question : Brexit promised lower food prices and now we have higher food prices and Brexit has failed .

Nigel : No, the failure is because the U.K Government blah blah blah .

It wasn't a stand alone statement by Nigel 

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Incorrect. Once again, that is not what I said.

It's what you accepted +/-9 hours ago!

If one were to say " Brexit has failed in many aspects thus far", it would be difficult to disagree. 

Fine. Agreed. But - repeating myself yet again - according to your proposition, we can never be in a position to say categorically whether Brexit has failed.

Did any one, even leave voters think it would be plain sailing right from the start? I don't know any who did.

I am not in favour of using anecdotal evidence but since you use it, I'll reply in kind.

I distinctly remember a woman being interviewed the day after the referendum, who was full of joy ("We've got our country back" was her memorable comment). When the interviewer pointed out that we would not officially leave the EU for some time, she was shocked and couldn't understand why we couldn't leave immediately (24/6/16)? I doubt that she was the only Leave voter who held that view (although, of course, that is my opinion not a fact).

Add to that, to the disdain of many remainers, the other major world issues governments have face since 2020, it's not surprising the Brexit process has suffered.

Imo very few remainders would deny that Covid had a major impact on the UK government's ability to implement it's post-Brexit "strategy" (I'm being overly generous in using the word) Nevertheless, it is now two years since the pandemic and there is little, if any, sign of promised benefits coming into view, let alone being realised.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

Imo very few remainders would deny that Covid had a major impact on the UK government's ability to implement it's post-Brexit "strategy" (I'm being overly generous in using the word) Nevertheless, it is now two years since the pandemic and there is little, if any, sign of promised benefits coming into view, let alone being realised.

Has the rest of the World recovered from the pandemic ?

Or is it just the U.K that is still suffering from pandemic issues?

48 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But is it guaranteed that the Pound would rise to pre Brexit rates if the U.K re-joined the E.U ?

No but leaving the EU was the reason why the pound fell +/-10% and has yet to fully recover

Much of the reason why the Pound isn't so strong is because of the strong Baht .

The bath might have been strong against the pound due to the latter's relative weakness

The Baht has been one of the Worlds best performing  currencies and that is what you get less Baht for your Pounds 

Any evidence to suggest that the baht has been one of the world's best performing currencies against a basket of other currencies (over 1, 5 and/or 10 years)?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

The bath might have been strong against the pound due to the latter's relative weakness

Any evidence to suggest that the baht has been one of the world's best performing currencies against a basket of other currencies (over 1, 5 and/or 10 years)?

The Baht has been strong against all other currencies as well .

Wait there , I will go and do a websearch "Baht best preforming world currency* and post the links 

Done it , here 

https://www.investasian.com/asian-currencies/best-currency-asia-thai-baht/

45 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, they selfishly just want more Baht from their Pound pension money , they have no concerns about the U.K , just the extra Baht in their pocket 

I would imagine that all Brits in Thailand, regardless of whether they are 'Leaver' or 'Remainer' wouldn't object to having a few extra baht.

However, you know for a fact that Thai 'Remainers' "have no concerns about the UK". I don't suppose you have any evidence to back this claim?

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No. What is more likely is that if the U.K re-joined the E.U we would have to drop the Pound and use the Euro.

We would, most likely, have to commit to joining the Euro. It is possible that this commitment would be "ongoing" (an overworked word in this thread).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Has the rest of the World recovered from the pandemic ?

Or is it just the U.K that is still suffering from pandemic issues?

Some countries have recovered more than others. And your point is?

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

He's blaming the same people you are.

By your reckoning, that makes you both as bad as each other. 

It ridiculous that the Government are getting "blamed" for running the Country !!!!!!

Of course the Government are responsible for running the Country .

I am saying that its the U.K Government who are responsible for the running of the U.K , am I "bad"/wrong  for stating that ?

34 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Baht has been strong against all other currencies as well .

Wait there , I will go and do a websearch "Baht best preforming world currency* and post the links 

Done it , here 

https://www.investasian.com/asian-currencies/best-currency-asia-thai-baht/

What I saw from the link before I was rudely interrupted by an advert is that the baht is best performing Asian currency (over the past year?)

Over the past year, it has underperformed slightly against the Euro.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/policy_and_exchange_rates/euro_reference_exchange_rates/html/eurofxref-graph-thb.en.html

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It seems to be that leaving the U.K leaving the  E.U is an unpopular opinion with Brits living in Asia .

Why does it concern them so much ?

It doesn't effect them at all .

The only thing that I can think of is f that they would like to have the option of moving back to the E.U (Portugal or Bulgaria or somewhere) if Thailand makes it difficult to get retirement visas , but the U.K laving the E.U means they don't have that option 

Have you been to the UK lately? Brexit is a disaster, whichever way you want to cut it and it will only get worse. As for your " if Thailand makes it difficult to get retirement visas " and moving back to Europe, never going to happen as far as I'm concerned, there are plenty of other places in this world I can live.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Have you been to the UK lately? Brexit is a disaster, whichever way you want to cut it and it will only get worse. As for your " if Thailand makes it difficult to get retirement visas " and moving back to Europe, never going to happen as far as I'm concerned, there are plenty of other places in this world I can live.

Yes, I am currently in the UK at the moment , how about you ?

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So , how can you pass judgment on Brexit and the UK?

I left in October 22, after selling up, came here for a holiday on my way to Australia, long story short, did Aus and N.Z. visiting family over Xmas and New Year, wasn't impressed with either so came back to Thailand where I am very happy living out in the sticks.

Judgement on Brexit I made in 2016 as soon as the result of the referendum was announced, my view was and always will be, that Brexit will be bad for the UK whichever way you look at it, unfortunately Covid came along before I could finalize everything, other wise I'd of been here in 2020.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Ya can’t make this stuff up. Hopefully Scotland then Wales and a United Ireland pull their UKexit soon.

Som nam na. 

Now, that would be funny, leaving all the little Englanders to stew in their own little world.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Now, that would be funny, leaving all the little Englanders to stew in their own little world.

All the little Scotlanders have been very, very quiet on the question of independence lately.   Wonder why that is...

4 minutes ago, James105 said:

All the little Scotlanders have been very, very quiet on the question of independence lately.   Wonder why that is...

The Krankies were on holiday in there new motorhome until it broke down or was it snatched back because of finance issues. LOL

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

I don't remember, did Farage ever make positive and helpful suggestions on how to do Brexit correctly or does he spend all his time criticizing after the fact? 

Of course not, he’s a back row heckler.

However, he did promise to go live abroad if Brexit failed, I doubt he’ll ever keep his word, but it would be an improvement if he did go somewhere else.

• Like 1