Nigel Farage: ‘Brexit has failed’

webfact

Kate Hoey must be proud of herself - another Brexit triumph hopefully in the post: Irish reunification. 

Sinn Féin becomes biggest party in local government in Northern Ireland

Sinn Féin has become the biggest party in Northern Ireland local government after stunning gains in council elections.

It swept past the Democratic Unionist party (DUP) and became the first nationalist party to hold the most council seats, delivering a political and psychological blow to unionism.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Yes, Farage's deep knowledge of economics, particularly trade, would have been a major resource for the government to draw on.

What a silly statement.   When did I suggest that Farage should be the only person that advises the government and not draw from all sources of expertise?   The people do not elect experts to govern, they elect representatives.   It is down to those representatives to choose experts to advise them.   What the UK government definitely lacked was a "vision" for how the UK should look 5/10/20/50 years after Brexit.    Could Farage have provided that vision?  Maybe/maybe not.   We will never know.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James105 said:

Government advisors are not elected, they are chosen by the elected government ministers to.... advise.   That's generally how it works.   Some may even suggest that the man who made it his life's work to get the UK out of the EU and is probably the single most influential person for making it happen would have a unique insight/vision for how the UK would operate outside of the EU.   I would suggest that the government did not have such a vision and tried to make Brexit a slightly worse version of what the UK had in the EU as they didn't believe in it or had their heads firmly planted in the EU trough.  

Would it have been a failure if Farage had been involved?   We will never know.   

You are correct, they are chosen.

They don’t appoint themselves.

PM May gave Farage the cold shoulder, his experience running his mouth on BBC Question Time wasn’t a qualification for the job.

Let’s live with and deal with the reality we have, and avoid yet more Brexit pipe dreams of what might have been.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, James105 said:

What a silly statement.   When did I suggest that Farage should be the only person that advises the government and not draw from all sources of expertise?   The people do not elect experts to govern, they elect representatives.   It is down to those representatives to choose experts to advise them.   What the UK government definitely lacked was a "vision" for how the UK should look 5/10/20/50 years after Brexit.    Could Farage have provided that vision?  Maybe/maybe not.   We will never know.  

What then is Farage an expert on?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

The current unemployment rate in UK is 3.8%. That's quite a lot of people.

And how many of those unemployed live in the vicinity of the farms that need fruit pickers?

Or are you suggesting that people leave their homes and families so that they can get some seasonal work at the bottom of the pay scale?

If you are suggesting that then I can understand why you may be a Brexit supporter...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Another example of were the Left and Right have swapped sides .

Myself a Right winger in favour of the poorer people getting a decent living wage and Employers treated them decently instead of exploiting the poor .

Maybe I should swap my Red MAGA hat for a Red Star hat ?

*Power to the people* 

I'd suggest that you have probably only recently taken that stance because you think that it works to back up your current argument.

It is, of course, a poorly thought out stance. Inflation is already in overdrive and, in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,you want to push the costs of locally produced fruit and veg up even higher.

Of course that will mean local produce is no longer able to compete price-wise with imported goods so the businesses just fold because they have nobody to sell to.

Unless your newly-found concerns for the poor fruit pickers includes the government paying some pretty impressive subsidies, it's unworkable.  

Edited by JayClay
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I'd suggest that you have probably only recently taken that stance because it suits your viewpoint.

It is, of course, a poorly thought out argument. Inflation is already in overdrive and, in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,you want to push the costs of locally produced fruit and veg up even higher.

Of course that will mean local produce is no longer able to compete price-wise with imported goods so the businesses just fold because they have nobody to sell to.

Unless your newly-found concerns for the poor fruit pickers includes the government paying some pretty impressive subsidies, it's unworkable.  

It’s not simply ‘fruit’ it’s the far more impactful vegetables and food processing.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What then is Farage an expert on?

I have no idea, I'm not a Farage expert but he clearly believed that the UK would be better off outside of the EU.   Let's not pretend that his thinking was to leave the EU and then try and stay as closely aligned as possible whilst keeping all the regulations that were part of being in the EU as then the better option would of course be to just stay in the EU.   

All the UK has done is tinkered around the edges trying to please everyone which of course means pleasing nobody and the inevitable failure that follows.   There was an opportunity presented to radically rethink how the UK does business and it was an opportunity squandered by people who had their noses too deeply entrenched in the EU trough or just plain old incompetency.   Cameron was right to resign as he didn't believe in it and unfortunately neither were the opportunists that followed, no matter what they said in public.  

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I'd suggest that you have probably only recently taken that stance because you think that it works to back up your current argument.

It is, of course, a poorly thought out stance. Inflation is already in overdrive and, in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,you want to push the costs of locally produced fruit and veg up even higher.

So in the middle of a cost of living crisis you want the people who pick the fruit and veg to not be paid appropriately for the work they are doing?   

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

And how many of those unemployed live in the vicinity of the farms that need fruit pickers?

Or are you suggesting that people leave their homes and families so that they can get some seasonal work at the bottom of the pay scale?

If you are suggesting that then I can understand why you may be a Brexit supporter...

Do you really believe the only jobs out there are picking fruit? Oh dear.

How many of the unemployed live in the vicinity of a supermarket, factory, warehouse or hospital? Just 4 examples of where jobs are available.

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

I have always had the opinion that workers deserve decent pay .

The current cost of living crisis is a temporary thing and it will all blow over soon and everything will be back to normal .

Isn't it now very difficult for the U.K to trade with the E.U Countries ?

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

As @Chomper points out, nobody on the Leave side of the argument ever presented any plan for life post-Brexit.

Always someone else's fault, which appears to be the default position for Brexiters. No accountability and no responsibility as usual.

OK, so who has been responsibly for running of the U.K post Brexit ?

Are you suggesting that Nigel Farage and UKIP have been running the U.K or has  it been the remain Conservative Party ?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Do you really believe the only jobs out there are picking fruit? Oh dear.

How many of the unemployed live in the vicinity of a supermarket, factory, warehouse or hospital? Just 4 examples of where jobs are available.

But the worker shortage that is driving up food inflation is on farms and in food processing factories, not located in rural areas.

Nobody is arguing there aren’t job’s available, the issue is there are job vacancies but nobody to fill those job vacancies, either through a lack of skills, not living in the areas where the jobs are or not fit and able to do the jobs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have always had the opinion that workers deserve decent pay .

The current cost of living crisis is a temporary thing and it will all blow over soon and everything will be back to normal

The current gap between worker incomes and the cost of living has been growing since the Tories took office, exponentially so since Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JayClay said:

That was the topic of conversation as there are particular shortages and food is going rotten.

As you have proven that you just want to deflect the argument in another direction any time you're challenged, I have no interest in branching out into discussions of other areas like supermarkets I'm not even sure if they are actually short of staff - I certainly haven't heard of any shortages in that area.

And as for hospitals... training for positions like that take years and could not be filled by the type of people who are currently unemployed, anyway.

No deflection. You quoted and asked me "what unemployed?". I answered.

Shortages of supermarket jobs have been well publicised. There are many jobs in hospitals that require minimal " on the job training" such as; porters, HCAs, patient transport drivers, cooks, kitchen staff and domestics.

Warehouses, Amazon and Lidl are always advertising.

Factories, just ask Chomper. He keeps saying food processing is badly understaffed.

It would appear a  similar situation for the rest of Europe

Profits rise while wages fall

Real wages are falling while real profits continue to grow in half of EU member states, new ETUC research on the cost-of-living crisis shows.  

Real wages, which indicates pay after inflation is taken into account, have fallen in every EU member state this year by as much as 9%. 

https://www.etuc.org/en/pressrelease/profits-rise-while-wages-fall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But the worker shortage that is driving up food inflation is on farms and in food processing factories, not located in rural areas.

Nobody is arguing there aren’t job’s available, the issue is there are job vacancies but nobody to fill those job vacancies, either through a lack of skills, not living in the areas where the jobs are or not fit and able to do the jobs.

Looks like you quoted the wrong person with the " not located in rural areas".

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Isn't it now very difficult for the U.K to trade with the E.U Countries ?

Yes it is. Which is why if the farming industry is destroyed, as appears to be your wish, we will have even worse supply issues than we do now.

• Like 2