China will transfer high-speed railway tech to Thailand, engineers say

webfact

image.jpeg

Workers construct a pillar as part of the Thai-Chinese high-speed railway project in Nakhon Ratchasima province in March. Photo: AFP

+ Agreement in principle to pass on technology, skills and knowledge in 11 areas of railway construction, according to Chinese team

+ They are involved in negotiations on a line being built from Kunming to Bangkok and say Thailand wants ‘greater role in future cooperation’

Stephen Chen in Beijing

China has agreed to pass on some of its know-how to Thailand so that the Southeast Asian nation can develop its own high-speed railway network, according to Chinese engineers involved in the negotiations.

“As cooperation on the China-Thailand High-Speed Railway project deepens, Thailand’s desire to design and construct high-speed railways on its own has gradually become stronger. They hope to play a greater role in future cooperation,” the team led by Gao Rui wrote in Chinese journal Railway Standard Design last month.

“In response to Thailand’s repeated requests for technology transfer and teaching on China’s high-speed rail technology at joint committee meetings, China has agreed to pass on the technology to Thailand under the premise of not violating Chinese laws,” said Gao, a senior engineer with state-owned China Railway International Group and a member of its overseas engineering management and technical negotiations team.

Under Chinese law, companies and individuals must obtain government approval to export technologies that are deemed critical to national security or the country’s economic interests.

Full story: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3220383/china-will-transfer-high-speed-railway-tech-thailand-engineers-say

logo.jpg
-- © Copyright South China Morning Post 2023-05-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

6 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

What technology do you need to lay a railroad track? Pretty sure there's not that much to it

This to be the understatement of the century!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fdimike said:

I suspect it's just not simply laying a track.  This is not the 1800's nailing steel track to wooden sleepers.  I would think there's a ton of technology involved with building a high speed train line.

And not only the tracks...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Is transfering anything "High Speed " to Thailand , not too dangerous.   ????

regards worgeordie

I dont know, my internet is far superior to my brothers in the UK!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, fdimike said:

I suspect it's just not simply laying a track.  This is not the 1800's nailing steel track to wooden sleepers.  I would think there's a ton of technology involved with building a high speed train line.

>200 km/h was done before the first worldwar with steam engines, steel tracks on wooden sleepers. I don't think they build some magnetic elevated trains, which aren't new technology as well.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, h90 said:

>200 km/h was done before the first worldwar with steam engines, steel tracks on wooden sleepers. I don't think they build some magnetic elevated trains, which aren't new technology as well.

As usual you got it wrong once again because you are too lazy to research the topic.

quote "200 km/h was done before the first world war with steam engines, steel tracks on wooden sleepers."

NO it wasn't.

It was actually done in 1938 by the Mallard.

https://techhistorian.com/fastest-steam-train-in-the-world/#:~:text=The Mallard set the record,just over 200 km%2Fh.

The Mallard set the record for the fastest steam locomotive on July 3, 1938, when it reached 126 mph or just over 200 km/h. It was faster than the previous record of still of 124.5. The Mallard's record still stands today.

There is more information in the link, and you would have found that out, IF you had bothered to do an internet search.

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:
15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This to be the understatement of the century!

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

So what technology do you need other than those already in Thailand? Enlighten us all

I see little point in repeating what @billd766 has already eloquently expressed in his post to you yesterday.

• Thanks 1

The last thing I read on this....some time ago....was very disappointing. It was about the fast train up to Nong Khai.....it said that the train would not be a bullet train but a fast train travelling a 80 kph (50 miles and hour) and would make frequent stops. Looking at the tracks, they seem too narrow for Japanese style bullet trains which are wide gauge. 

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I see little point in repeating what @billd766 has already eloquently expressed in his post to you yesterday.

It was a decent post explaining basic engineering skills needed, but nothing on technology transfer, as I said there isn’t anything in particular that comes to mind other than normal engineering skills

8 hours ago, ourmanflint said:
18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

8 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

It was a decent post explaining basic engineering skills needed, but nothing on technology transfer, as I said there isn’t anything in particular that comes to mind other than normal engineering skills

Well let me add this one sentence from the O/P

'In response to Thailand’s repeated requests for technology transfer and teaching on China’s high-speed rail technology at joint committee meetings',

Now, if Thailand knew it all already, they wouldn't need to make this request (repeatedly) would they. I don't think any further comment is necessary.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:09 AM, webfact said:

China has agreed to pass on the technology to Thailand under the premise of not violating Chinese laws

What laws are these? Don’t pass it on because the world will know we already copied it. 

• Thanks 1