Most charming Thai towns

bignok

1 hour ago, bignok said:

No love for Ubon?

Been there a few times, but apparently before 2012, as no G location mark, at least on that phone/ID/account, as had more than a few.

I've done most of Isan and east coast, beyond Rayong to Cambo border.

Use to have the wife ferry over to Laos, from Nakhon Phanom for a Bailey's restock when there.  Visited the original Uncle Ho house, with original coconut tree that he planted still there ???? vs that fake replica of Uncle Ho's house at Udon Thani ... blasphemy I tell you.

Ubon never did nothing for me, Nakhon Phanom & That Phanom were good for a visit, and chill riverside.

image.png.17447a9036126958bed8936310a6f98e.png

image.png

Edited by KhunLA

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Been there a few times, but apparently before 2012, as no G location mark, at least on that phone/ID/account, as had more than a few.

I've done most of Isan and east coast, beyond Rayong to Cambo border.

Use to have the wife ferry over to Laos, from Nakhon Phanom for a Bailey's restock when there.  Visited the original Uncle Ho house, with original coconut tree that he planted still there ???? vs that fake replica of Uncle Ho's house at Udon Thani ... blasphemy I tell you.

Ubon never did nothing for me, Nakhon Phanom & That Phanom were good for a visit, and chill riverside.

image.png.17447a9036126958bed8936310a6f98e.png

image.png

Im going to Loei and Korat soon.

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

Headed somewhere soon ourselves, undecided though.  Nong Bua LamPhu come July, but want to go somewhere S before that.  Waiting for some rain actually, so a bit greener, and clearer skies, though skies (blue & cloudy) quite nice now locally.

Love rainy season, in between the rains.

24 minutes ago, bignok said:

Khao Yai Art Museum, Pak Chong area, was interestingly different, if in the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Khao+Yai+Art+Museum/@14.5961804,101.3283344,20677m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x311c321d533d6e5b:0xffa4217c0d50d043!8m2!3d14.5531545!4d101.433381!16s%2Fg%2F12q4v3875

And a winery may interest, though harvest season is Feb. so don't expect much in the vineyard.  Again, only if near by:

Alcidini Winery

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alcidini+Winery/@14.5434865,101.5999862,666m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x311c3b4561e8e2d5:0xa974f1f8820d8ef!8m2!3d14.5434813!4d101.6025665!16s%2Fg%2F1hc76gfj4

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Mrs is temple mad. So Phanom Rung plus any temple on a hill in Loei.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Mrs is temple mad. So Phanom Rung plus any temple on a hill in Loei.

PhiMai is a nice little town, and the Khmer ruins there are quite nice, though dwarfed by Phanom Rung.  The museum part, if still there, was along the road into town off hwy#2, and should stop there first.  PhiMai actually quite close hwy#2.

If you go to a lot of the Khmer ruins / museums dotted around the country, you'll notice (the fine print) many, most of the artifacts are from PhiMai area & Phanom Rung area sites.

Prasat Muang Singh Khmer temple in Kanchanaburi, was rather nice also.

Three of the better (only) ones I've visited.

Ban Chiang, Udon Thani is also nice, and try to go there during the yearly festival.  Quite the archeological find, and had to rewrite the history books with that find.  Pre-dates other finds, concerning manufacture and use of metals

Edited by KhunLA

My next nowheresville trip will be to Nan, via a northbound boat from Luang Prubang (mostly empty going north).

The area between the boat drop off at Pak Beng to the border with Nan has a lot teak and cartoony-mural temples. Call it a leisurely day to the border, then a waiting sonthew into sizzling downtown Nan.

I've done this boat ride at least 6 times, the first day of it from Luang Prubang is more jungle-ish than the second, which then drops you off a couple of hours from Chiang Rai. Or near The Gibbon Experience -where you suspect it's a Lao person moving that branch off in the distance, not a gibbon.

In the super-rainy season, you can go all the way to the top of the country on the river, but that involves staying over night in villages (bring Pringles in case you don't like dinner). Akha villages, first time I'd seen an Akha person not scraping a wooden frog at the Chiang Mai night market.

Lovely people, love their chicken soup. They have the real opium brown goo. Tip 'em a fiver, bring a couple of Bic lighters as a gift. They love Bic. They're more into the moonshine.

Rainy days, sleeping on a hard mat under a mosquito net, bad food -those kinds of touring days are gone for good, and certainly veto'd by my wife.

Call it 2 dining-days in Vientiane, 4 days in Luang Prubang, 4 days for the boat, border tour, and Nan-chill. And then the day-long, very Mountain-scenic bus ride back to Chiang Mai.

5 travel in motion days out of 11 is def pushing my wife's comfort zone a bit.

I did a Pai mega-post elsewhere. Search for my semi-current Pai Recco's. I'm a fan.

Insider tip: the old ladies by the wat are dishing out quality all you can eat for 40 baht. They're gone by 11 AM. At the latest..

32 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

When I lived in Surin forty years ago a friend fron UK visited me. I took him into town and his first words were "Charming, just effin charming."

40 years ago

23 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

When I lived in Surin forty years ago a friend fron UK visited me. I took him into town and his first words were "Charming, just effin charming."

.......and still [in many ways] very Surin Khmer.