Denied permission to leave.

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably chose the wrong border, Ban Pakkard is a friendly border from Pattaya, mini van circ 3000 baht

Pong Nom Ron and Ban Pakkard are the same border

• Confused 2

I wen through somewhat of the same situation, OA visa then extensions for six years, got to the border and they were making an issue out of my expired re-entry permit, one of the Cambodian Immigration people took care of everything for me, for a few of course, they did the visa, in and out same day and I think I had to pay them 2000 baht, think I could have just walked across the border and saved some money, but my only interest was getting the OA canceled and gladly payed the fee this was in September of 2022

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You didn't ask 'why'?

As I said in the original post, the reason given was that I've stayed in Tland for 5+ years.   Pfffft.  I don't understand this made up rule.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Randy99 said:

No fines and yes, the idea was that that I'd re-enter Tland, 10 minutes after exiting, Visa Exempt.  Have had the minimum 800k in the bank for 5+ years.  Actually, never less than 1 million.

I think the issue is the length of time set off the this is not a tourist which visa exempt is for.

I have never done a border bounce been non o retirement since coming here but have to think that airport is more able to handle and may also advise you to get a real visa and come back

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He did not mention having a reentry permit.

You do not cancel extensions.

The OP was trying to kill off his non O-A.

That had already expired however to change the visa to a non O he needed to exit Thailand without a reentry permit. 

Yes, exactly right.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you use an agent? 

Recent thread of guy in Pattaya using agent for visa run.

Seemed good service.

He was actually picked up from his hotel..

The agent would be aware of border crossing issues and you can discuss with them.

Thank you, can we know the agent's name? 

11 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thank you, can we know the agent's name? 

The guy did not name the agent in that thread.

Here is a short thread that may be helpful.

Ubonjoe in the second post included a link to visa run company

Also link to another thread. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1272034-visa-run-from-pattaya/ 

This thread also has links to companies 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1283219-first-border-run-from-pattaya-to-cambodia/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

The decision by Thai immigration at the border was unexpected but, as others have suggested, probably to do with not wanting to provide a visa exemption after a long consecutive stay in Thailand.

If it is convenient to travel to Mae Sai or Ranong, I do not think you will have a problem doing a border bounce there for a visa exempt entry. Alternatively, maybe just do it by air. How do you fancy a short holiday somewhere like Saigon or Penang?

Thanks for your reply and I get your point but they never even asked if I intended on returning to Tland.. 

As you suggest, perhaps a visit to somewhere by air will fix this.

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Never heard of such a rule.

But I wonder what happens, if one tries to exit this way on the last (or second-last) day of one's permitted stay, is refused, and needs, say 2-3 days to travel to Bangkok and book a flight. Will one still get an 'overstay' stamp into the passport, and be liable to pay an overstay fine?

Of course.

2 minutes ago, Randy99 said:

Thanks for your reply and I get your point but they never even asked if I intended on returning to Tland.. 

As you suggest, perhaps a visit to somewhere by air will fix this.

You said you planned to cross the border and come right back, so I assume you did not have any luggage with you. Wouldn't taking no luggage be a clear sign to immigration what your plan was so no need to ask?

• Like 1

I went to immi in Jomtien yesterday. I've been on visa-waiver extensions for 49 weeks, waiting for a case against a former employer to clear. Got the all clear letter from the court on Monday.  Immi told me I MUST fly out and fly back in, cannot do land border run.

28 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You said you planned to cross the border and come right back, so I assume you did not have any luggage with you. Wouldn't taking no luggage be a clear sign to immigration what your plan was so no need to ask?

You are correct but that doesn't account for the hundred or so others there doing a visa run, non of whom had luggage but had absolutely no problem exiting.

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP seems to have been on extension of stay from a non O-A.

That extension and non O-A cannot be "cancelled" in Thailand.

Sure it can become invalid if requirements not met.

Anyway bit of a smoke screen.

The OP clearly wanted to kill off his non O-A.

That is very common due to insurance requirements.

He needs to exit Thailand.

End of. 

Thank you.  You've got it exactly right.  Was trying to kill the OA and re- enter Tland visa exempt and then apply for O type visa inside the country, Tland.

21 minutes ago, connda said:

Smile like a imbecile even when you have the overwhelming urge to throttle a petty bureaucrat and otherwise keep my mouth shut.

Good one ) Works like a charm to me as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a longer history now as well, was going to Ban Pakkard when agent driver saw my passport, he freaked and said I couldn't go thru there (little late as we were already 2 hours into the drive.  I also triple checked with the agency themselves that everything would be ok and showing them my passport and visas.).

Anyways, he then took me to Ban Laem and I was given VIP treatment for 2k more, no problems.  
Although the gentleman with me had half a second of problems and was being denied before the VIP concierge tapped her on the shoulder and told her to let him thru that his passport is fine.

I just went to Ban Laem a second time with no issues using an agency  from Pattaya that only goes there.  It was 3000 total.
Good service.

5 hours ago, Randy99 said:

As I said in the original post, the reason given was that I've stayed in Tland for 5+ years.   Pfffft.  I don't understand this made up rule.

So, the IO must have thought that you want to come right back, but would be denied entry. That's why the flight suggestion...

11 hours ago, BeerAttractedPerson said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, ( maybe I'm just an idiot), get the Elite Visa, 10 or 20 years. You will never be hassled again. You will be treated like royalty whenever ur at immigration or at an airport.....

Even better, get Thai citizenship... ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

My Rule Number 1 for dealing with Immigration:   Allow my wife to get chummy with the head IO then shut my mouth and let her do all of the talking. 
My Rule Number 2:  Smile like a imbecile even when you have the overwhelming urge to throttle a petty bureaucrat and otherwise keep my mouth shut.

Those two rules have been working pretty well for the last decade.

Excellent advice but I am bit surprised that you limit these rules to dealing with Immigration only, and have completely omitted Rule #3:

Rule #3: When discussion has concluded, wai deeply in the general of all in the vicinity, and recite 'Khob Khun Krub' repeatedly until you are sure that you are out of earshot.????????

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Reading all the posts, I'm totally confused now; if I have a Non "O" extension (of any kind), do I have to cancel it before leaving Thailand overland, or not?

What makes you think that