Trump’s White House lawyer predicts he’ll end up in jail as Mar-a-Lago probe heats up

Social Media

Sad thing is, with all his money, we taxpayers will still have to foot the bill.   Otisville federal prison is a cushy medium security federal prison where Cohen, Kenneth Starr, and many other white collar criminals went.   In New York Catskills

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I think the Secret Service -- who has obligation to provide protection to any former President for life -- will get have a say in any prison issue.

But I'm not sure -- I'll have to check how they handled it when any other former President was convicted of a felony that would normally incur jail time.

I’m quite certain the secret service don’t sleep in the same bedroom as the President, past or present.

I doubt they’ll need to sleep on the same prison cell.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m quite certain the secret service don’t sleep in the same bedroom as the President, past or present.

I doubt they’ll need to sleep on the same prison cell.

If it ever gets to that point I am sure the presiding Judge either Federal or State will work out arrangements with the Secret Service whatever they may be.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m sure the judge will.

’You boys can wait outside’.

Well if you are not an American, then I'm not surprised you don't realize how powerful is the Secret Service. And all this was just arrangements so Trump could show up in person at a NY State Court for the arraignment.

Preparations underway for Trump’s arraignment in N.Y. court on Tuesday
Secret Service tour courthouse where former president will appear after surrendering to face criminal charges

An advance team of Secret Service agents — mostly comprised of New York field office agents — conducted a site tour of the courthouse on Friday to map Trump’s path in and out of the building, according to a law enforcement official involved in the planning.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the arrangements, said that “dozens and dozens of agents” will be required to secure the former president’s travel between Mar-a- Lago, his Florida home and private club, and New York.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/03/31/trump-arraignment-secret-service/

Edited by jerrymahoney

30 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well if you are not an American, then I'm not surprised you don't realize how powerful is the Secret Service. And all this was just arrangements so Trump could show up in person at a NY State Court for the arraignment.

Preparations underway for Trump’s arraignment in N.Y. court on Tuesday
Secret Service tour courthouse where former president will appear after surrendering to face criminal charges

An advance team of Secret Service agents — mostly comprised of New York field office agents — conducted a site tour of the courthouse on Friday to map Trump’s path in and out of the building, according to a law enforcement official involved in the planning.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the arrangements, said that “dozens and dozens of agents” will be required to secure the former president’s travel between Mar-a- Lago, his Florida home and private club, and New York.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/03/31/trump-arraignment-secret-service/

I’ll go with the separation of powers and the three independent branches of Government, The Executive, The Legislative and the Judicial.

The courts are one of these branches of Government, they don’t like the secret service “, report to other branches of Government.

Give up on trying to second guess my nationality, it’s not the topic of discussion and too many others have failed miserably trying.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

Well 

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The arrangement you are referring to here are hardly routine. I'm sure some appropriate secluded space in some federal prison somewhere can be found and secret service agents can continue to protect the president. It actually should be a lot simpler to provide security for him in a prison with separate quarters than at Mar a Lago with guest s and workers constantly coming and going. And let's not get too carried away about the power of the secret service. It's not the pretorian guard.

So what this is all getting to is can a US or State Judge overrule a protection order by the Secret Service.

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Is the secret service above the law, if not, they do like the rest of us, obey the court.

What legal authority and powers do Secret Service agents have?

The Secret Service (also) works closely with the United States Attorney's Office in both protective and investigative matters.

https://www.secretservice.gov/about/faq/general

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

What legal authority and powers do Secret Service agents have?

The Secret Service (also) works closely with the United States Attorney's Office in both protective and investigative matters.

https://www.secretservice.gov/about/faq/general

But remains subject to the law.

The courts are a coequal branch of Government, the secret service is a Government Agency’ under the Department of Homeland Security and therefore under the executive.

Always under the law.

My guess will be that the Secret Service is already in contact with both the Federal and State prison authorities  just so -- in the unlikely that Trump would be subject to prison confinement -- they are not caught flat-footed.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

My guess will be that the Secret Service is already in contact with both the Federal and State prison authorities  just so -- in the unlikely that Trump would be subject to prison confinement -- they are not caught flat-footed.

So you think they ring around before any case has even been heard. That is absurd.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hope so but I'm afraid there will be at least one stealth maga cult member on any jury making it impossible to convict him of anything.

You could say that about any demographic bias though.

• Thanks 1

US Secret Service protection would follow Donald Trump to the slammer if he ever ended up there, former agents say

Former President Donald Trump would almost certainly have Secret Service agents charged with protecting him even if he winds up in prison, former agency officials told Insider. 

There's an important reason why these law enforcement veterans are saying this, too.

Trump's legal troubles have spurred ex-Secret Service agents and former Obama administration officials to wonder how exactly agents would protect a president who's been convicted of a crime and serving prison time. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/secret-service-agent-protect-trump-jail-prison-state-federal-crimes-2021-1

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1