Son with thai and EU passport??

Hi my son came in to Thailand on his EU passport because his Thai passport was expired. He has since renewed his Thai passport and would like to exit with the EU passport and re-enter with the Thai passport at a border. My question is can he just get the exit stamp on the EU passport then turn around and go home. Or does he for some reason need to exit and re-enter on the Thai passport?

1 minute ago, beammeup said:

He is Thai and the passport is new. How would they know or care if he has ever even been out of the country? When exiting Thailand on a Thai passport is an entrance stamp required?

I know my wife gets stamped in and out on her Thai passport, which is was odd to me, as my US passport doesn't require a stamp when exiting/entering the US. Not sure why Thai's are so stamp happy, they love to fill my passport with tons of stamps, its annoying.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, beammeup said:

He is Thai and the passport is new. How would they know or care if he has ever even been out of the country?

Why ask when you know the answer?????

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, marin said:

Why ask when you know the answer?????

The question is is there a reason he needs to exit and re-enter on the Thai passport. I cant see any logical reason, that is why I am asking here to see if there is something I am missing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Theoretically - Thailand cannot prevent entry to a Thai National, thus, as soon as he exits on his EU Passport, is ‘stamped out’ he has done so within the legal limitations of his permission of stay. He is then free to enter on This Thai passport. 

There are certain ‘documented’ complications regarding permissions to ‘passport swap’ at a land boarder compared to an ‘Air boarder’... but this is not relevant here when re-entry of a Thai citizen is concerned. 

Thus: Yes, he can exit on his EU Passport, get stamped out and simply turn around and re-enter on his Thai passport - That said, instead of remaining in ‘no-mans land’ he may need to cross into the ‘other country’ and then turn around. 

My thoughts are to stamp out on the EU passport and thats it. get in the car and go home. I am trying to figure out if there is actually a need to then exit end re-enter. on the Thai passport.

• Confused 2

He absolutely needs to exit on his EU passport if he wants that passport to pass any kind of future scrutiny. If he doesn't, he'll have a Thai entry stamp with no exit stamp that he might need to continue explaining into the future.

3 minutes ago, beammeup said:

My thoughts are to stamp out on the EU passport and thats it. get in the car and go home. I am trying to figure out if there is actually a need to then exit end re-enter. on the Thai passport.

The need to exit (or is that not the same as "stamp out"?) is clear.  I would imagine the need to re-enter will be determined by then  guards/officials at the border.

1 minute ago, beammeup said:

Well I guess the best thing to do is just ask the officials at the border. Not a big deal

FYI - Passport swap is strictly forbidden at all Thai Land borders.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Through fingerprints he will be caught within a matter of seconds

Edited - as Dr Joy wrote - Passport swap at land border is not permitted... 

BUT - there is one way around this.. 

IF the ‘other country’ does not permit a passport swap. 

i.e. Exit Thailand on the Thai passport and Enter Cambodia (example) on a Thai Passport (thats where the swap happens)... then exit Cambodia (example0 on the Thai Passport and enter Thailand on the Thai passport - thus no Swap passport swap upon entering Thailand.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DrJoy said:

Check whether that is foreign nationals switching for another foreign passport. 

OR, if that also forbids switching to a Thai passport.

IF it is forbidden to switch a passport at land borders... then a quick flight to a neighbouring country will achieve the same results. 

4 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

What  do you mean by passport swap? stamp out on one passport and re-enter on another passport?

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘caught’ for what ??

Thai nationals have to enter and exit the country using a Thai PP only, even if its expired.

This is the rule rather than an exception.

He has already broken the law.

YMMV

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, beammeup said:

What  do you mean by passport swap? stamp out on one passport and re-enter on another passport?

He should fly to any nearby country using his EU Passport.

Ex - Lao or Malaysia

In Lao present Thai PP for entry and then exit using the same.

Finally, enter Thailand on Thai PP.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF it is forbidden to switch a passport at land borders... then a quick flight to a neighbouring country will achieve the same results. 

Yes, Thats what I said ????

23 minutes ago, swissbie said:

To be on the safe side he should better take a plane, exit with the EU-passport and reenter with the Thai passport. A return flight to Kuala Lumpur doesn't take long and isn't expensive.

OP, this is the correct answer I quoted.

He needs to exit on EU and reenter on Thai passport and may/will not be possible at land border. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, beammeup said:

He is Thai and the passport is new. How would they know or care if he has ever even been out of the country? When exiting Thailand on a Thai passport is an entrance stamp required?

He has an entry stamp on his foreign passport, so he needs an exit stamp as they care about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, beammeup said:

The question is is there a reason he needs to exit and re-enter on the Thai passport. I cant see any logical reason, that is why I am asking here to see if there is something I am missing.

If he entered on a foreign passport he probably has a 30 day visa exempt stamp which would require an extension if staying longer than 30 days, by leaving the country on the EU stamp and re-entering with the Thai passport he does not have to worry about any immigration issues

50 minutes ago, beammeup said:

42 minutes ago, beammeup said:

how long is he planning on staying in Thailand,?