Oxygen for home usr

billd766

Bill’s symptoms are identical to mine which is advanced COPD. 
I take daily meds for the treatment of it but cannot get them locally so have to order them for delivery from a clinic I’m a member of. 
I am happy to tell him what I take if he has an interest in knowing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

I take daily meds for the treatment of it but cannot get them locally so have to order them for delivery from a clinic I’m a member of. 

having copd myself i told him he should get tested... i dont think he is listening

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This is simply making no sense at all.

What hospital was this? They did nto even do a blood count or Xray? Doctor did nto even listen to your lungs?

You are saying you have never received a diagnosis of anything that would account for your shortness of breath?

Diagnosis is the first step. Can't treat without it, and makes no sense to declare it untreatable without first diagnosing what it is.

Either there was massive malpractice here or you are omitting vital background information.

The hospital is a small state hospital  and quite good for what it is. In the mornings they probably treat 3 or 4 hundred Thais and I simply take my turn.

The main state hospital is 65 km away and they must treat at least double that number or more daily.

There is a good private hospital but I try to live within my means. My wife stayed one night there for observation with shingles and it cost over 16k baht. One of the meds prescribed to her was something like the Tai version of Phensic at 18 baht each. They cost 100 baht per 100 at the local pharmacy.

Please try to understand that not all farangs have lots of money and good health insurance as we don't. At 79 NOBODY will insure me and while we live quietly and comfortably there is NO cash to spare for private health.

I have an 18 year old son who will be starting uni in 3 months time and he is far more precious to me than a worn out 79 year old body on its last legs anyway. I have a 57 year old wife whom I love dearly and is worth more than a worn out 79 year old body on its last legs anyway.

I have had a great life for the last 78 years and when my time comes, it comes. Any money NOT spent on me, will go towards their future which is longer than mine.

All I do now is eat, sleep, spend time on my pc and coffin dodging and claiming my pensions.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Billd766.

Listen to Sherryl. Get your <deleted> back to the hospital. Insist on them investigating the symptoms. You aren't going to get better on your own and at 79 too young for "the grim reaper".

Daily updates please - we want to know.

Best of luck - you are one of the better crabs I have known!

You may not care but I will say a prayer for you, sorry but I am a left footed God botherer!

Thank you.

My spiritual home (if you can call it that), has no roof, walls or doors and is called Stonehenge.

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

having copd myself i told him he should get tested... i dont think he is listening

Bill is listening but life is not always that simple.

1 hour ago, poppysdad said:

I am always interested in learning more which is one reason why I started the thread.

Please either PM me with the med details, or post it here where more people can learn from it.

• Like 1

Hey Bill:

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I'm skeptical that a local government hospital is going to be able to get to the bottom of the problem. My experience is that most of the time they simply don't have the diagnostic equipment and the doctors are too overwhelmed to give this type of problem the attention it deserves. Hope you feel better, buddy.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Hey Bill:

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I'm skeptical that a local government hospital is going to be able to get to the bottom of the problem. My experience is that most of the time they simply don't have the diagnostic equipment and the doctors are too overwhelmed to give this type of problem the attention it deserves. Hope you feel better, buddy.

Thank you for your kind words.

They actually mean a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you.

My spiritual home (if you can call it that), has no roof, walls or doors and is called Stonehenge.

My room in the Packway Mess when I was stationed at Larkhill used to look out over Stonehenge.

I always went with the Flanders and Swan theory that they never put a roof on it 'cos they couldn't get twigs big enough!

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

My room in the Packway Mess when I was stationed at Larkhill used to look out over Stonehenge.

I always went with the Flanders and Swan theory that they never put a roof on it 'cos they couldn't get twigs big enough!

The nearest I got to it was when I lived in Poole or when I was stationed at Chivenor near Barnstaple.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

The hospital is a small state hospital  and quite good for what it is. In the mornings they probably treat 3 or 4 hundred Thais and I simply take my turn.

The main state hospital is 65 km away and they must treat at least double that number or more daily.

There is a good private hospital but I try to live within my means. My wife stayed one night there for observation with shingles and it cost over 16k baht. One of the meds prescribed to her was something like the Tai version of Phensic at 18 baht each. They cost 100 baht per 100 at the local pharmacy.

Please try to understand that not all farangs have lots of money and good health insurance as we don't. At 79 NOBODY will insure me and while we live quietly and comfortably there is NO cash to spare for private health.

I have an 18 year old son who will be starting uni in 3 months time and he is far more precious to me than a worn out 79 year old body on its last legs anyway. I have a 57 year old wife whom I love dearly and is worth more than a worn out 79 year old body on its last legs anyway.

I have had a great life for the last 78 years and when my time comes, it comes. Any money NOT spent on me, will go towards their future which is longer than mine.

All I do now is eat, sleep, spend time on my pc and coffin dodging and claiming my pensions.

Nobody has suggested anything that would require a large expenditure on your part, where is that idea and attitude coming from?

Large tertiary government state hospitals cost the same as the small ones but are worlds apart in the level of care they provide.

You do not need to go to  a private hospital (up country ones are usually not very good anyhow), but unless you have a diagnosis (you still have not answered that), you need to go to a better, higher level government hospital.

I think there must be information you have not provided. It is hard to believe that, with no known cause whatsoever, you have decided to simply to assume it is a terminal situation and given up rather than get properly diagnosed.= -- and, possibly, cured. 

but if in fact this is the case -- you have no diagnosis at all to explain why you suddenly have serious trouble breathing; you wnet into an ER and recieved no examination whatsoever, nto even a pulse ox measurement or listen to your lungs or Xray  -- then it is madness not to seek proper care, and that cannot be gotten at a small community level hospital. In your location, I would suggest either the Pitsanoluk Regional Hospital or Naresuan University Hospital. The latter likely less crowded and as it is a teaching hospital, you will get a thorough work up. Both cost the same as your local hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill…. Do as Sheryl and others advised Go to the hospital. Government hospital 

the regular ones not the village are not overly expensive and the one I’ve gone to 

monthly for two years takes good care.

I had problems breathing when laying for bed… the problem was Heart wasn’t pumping out fluids ( however it works). They treated with medicines and I’ve not got problem now but do take medicines. 
My heart is 25% of normal but with care I feeling better these days. 

The local hospital in town wasn’t equipped for various tests so referred me to Government 

hospital. They’ve a waiting area for foreigners which speak English. You get an appointment time 

usually I’m there for 2-3 hours but that’s seeing the heart Dr. and then another appointment an hour 

or so later with gout Dr. 

Suggest go to the Government hospital or your local to get a referral. See what they 

say then decide what you want to do. Because you don’t want to kick the bucket when 

it could be something easily treated…

Tell the Dr, money is a little tight and they can give suggestions. 

Best of luck… 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Nobody has suggested anything that would require a large expenditure on your part, where is that idea and attitude coming from?

Large tertiary government state hospitals cost the same as the small ones but are worlds apart in the level of care they provide.

You do not need to go to  a private hospital (up country ones are usually not very good anyhow), but unless you have a diagnosis (you still have not answered that), you need to go to a better, higher level government hospital.

I think there must be information you have not provided. It is hard to believe that, with no known cause whatsoever, you have decided to simply to assume it is a terminal situation and given up rather than get properly diagnosed.= -- and, possibly, cured. 

but if in fact this is the case -- you have no diagnosis at all to explain why you suddenly have serious trouble breathing; you wnet into an ER and recieved no examination whatsoever, nto even a pulse ox measurement or listen to your lungs or Xray  -- then it is madness not to seek proper care, and that cannot be gotten at a small community level hospital. In your location, I would suggest either the Pitsanoluk Regional Hospital or Naresuan University Hospital. The latter likely less crowded and as it is a teaching hospital, you will get a thorough work up. Both cost the same as your local hospital.

Part of the either the Phitsanulok Regional Hospital or Naresuan University Hospital is that they are both 180 km and 3 hours travel each way. I am not sure if I can stand the journey, though I would prefer Naresuan.

NO I have not given up, but I am taking things one day at a time.

I have the contact number for Naresuan and will get my wife to call them in the morning, as the main switchboard is closed until then. 

I started this thread as I felt that I was on my own, but since the beginning I have found that there are a number of posters with similar problems. and there are also a few posters who have offered the good wishes, for which I am truly grateful.

It is not easy being stuck at home and having to rely on people, especially my wife for help after being independent for most of my life.

Everybody can only do what they can with what they have, and everybody's circumstances are different.

Both my parents died age 69, 15 years apart. My Dad with a heart attack and my Mum with lung cancer. My first brother died at about 6 months old, (I have no idea what he died of). My other adopted brother died aged 81 of heart attack several years ago in Canada.

It is of no use nagging me into doing things that I cannot do.

I can only do things with what I have, and if that doesn't work then I try something else, but I take things one day at a time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Bill…. Do as Sheryl and others advised Go to the hospital. Government hospital 

the regular ones not the village are not overly expensive and the one I’ve gone to 

monthly for two years takes good care.

I had problems breathing when laying for bed… the problem was Heart wasn’t pumping out fluids ( however it works). They treated with medicines and I’ve not got problem now but do take medicines. 
My heart is 25% of normal but with care I feeling better these days. 

The local hospital in town wasn’t equipped for various tests so referred me to Government 

hospital. They’ve a waiting area for foreigners which speak English. You get an appointment time 

usually I’m there for 2-3 hours but that’s seeing the heart Dr. and then another appointment an hour 

or so later with gout Dr. 

Suggest go to the Government hospital or your local to get a referral. See what they 

say then decide what you want to do. Because you don’t want to kick the bucket when 

it could be something easily treated…

Tell the Dr, money is a little tight and they can give suggestions. 

Best of luck… 

Thank you for that information as it is helpful.

Where do you live and what hospital do you use?

Bill I will say this, allow people to enjoy helping you, as you will have assisted others, never feel you are being a burden, you are providing people with the opportunity to repay your kindness 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bill, I got to know you from this thread and I'm fololowing it daily. I'm near your age, I'm past 78 and I'm diabetic since around 20 years.

It has been 2 days since you posted the last time. We all want to know how you are. From my part, I wish you all the best, you can easily live up to 90, I think we all can if we're careful enough with our health.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dario said:

Hi Bill, I got to know you from this thread and I'm fololowing it daily. I'm near your age, I'm past 78 and I'm diabetic since around 20 years.

It has been 2 days since you posted the last time. We all want to know how you are. From my part, I wish you all the best, you can easily live up to 90, I think we all can if we're careful enough with our health.

Thank you for your kind words.

I am fine thank you apart from a shortness of breath now and again.

Tomorrow I am off to the hospital to meet with the doctor who knows about my case and has treated me before.

I need to top up my meds, I have some questions to ask him and to see if he can either diagnose my breathing problem or recommend where to go and who to see.

2 questions I would lake answers for, are about using an oxygen bottle from the hospital as a test, rather than buying one and not needing it, and trying to get an Accu Chek Blood sugar tester for diabetes.

I ordered one through Lazada but only got the test strips and the lancets but no meter. Unfortunately, locally the pharmacies out here are small and don't carry stuff like that.

As usual I can manage one thing a day so it will be unlikely that I post on the thread tomorrow, Monday, depends on where and when I go next. depending on his results.

Thank you for your thoughts and support.

Bill

As I have said before an oxygen bottle will do nothing (or else help for just an hour or so, as they are not designed for real medical use).

You need either an oxygen tank or an oxygen concentrator.

It does make sense to try an O2 tank first before investing in a concentrator if you need oxygen - which cannot be assumed. In fact   if you have COPD, should not use oxygen without first checking with your doctor as can be dangerous in people with COPD.

The tanks themselves can usually be rented rather than bought and then you just pay for the filling of them (which, living off in the boondocks, can be a real hassle to arrange -- another reason for a concentrator if in fact your condition warrants home oxygen therapy.  This is however not necessarily the case. )

You need to be checked for the following possible and very treatable possible causes:

- respiratory infection

- congestive heart failure

Both conditions that can rapidly improve iwht appropriate medication.

And that in turn means:

- blood test (complete blood count)

- chest Xray

- doctor listening to your heart and lungs with a stethoscope

measure your oxygenation with a pulse oximeter (simple device fitted onto your finger for a few minutes)

- possibly an  echocardiogram if the above tests suggest a cardiac cause

If (minus maybe the echo) you cannot get even this basic level of investigation where you are going then you really must get to a higher level hospital.

Re the blood sugar testing: check the Lazada description. Did you mistakenly order just refill supplies or does the seller description say meter included? Accu-chek brand set with meter will not cost less than 1,000 baht.

If the description said meter and you got only strips and lancets then seller error. Return it for refund and re-order from a different seller. If you mistakenly ordered just strips and lancets, make a second order specifically for a meter.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

As I have said before an oxygen bottle will do nothing (or else help for just an hour or so, as they are not designed for real medical use).

You need either an oxygen tank or an oxygen concentrator.

It does make sense to try an O2 tank first before investing in a concentrator if you need oxygen - which cannot be assumed. In fact   if you have COPD, should not use oxygen without first checking with your doctor as can be dangerous in people with COPD.

The tanks themselves can usually be rented rather than bought and then you just pay for the filling of them (which, living off in the boondocks, can be a real hassle to arrange -- another reason for a concentrator if in fact your condition warrants home oxygen therapy.  This is however not necessarily the case. )

You need to be checked for the following possible and very treatable possible causes:

- respiratory infection

- congestive heart failure

Both conditions that can rapidly improve iwht appropriate medication.

And that in turn means:

- blood test (complete blood count)

- chest Xray

- doctor listening to your heart and lungs with a stethoscope

measure your oxygenation with a pulse oximeter (simple device fitted onto your finger for a few minutes)

- possibly an  echocardiogram if the above tests suggest a cardiac cause

If (minus maybe the echo) you cannot get even this basic level of investigation where you are going then you really must get to a higher level hospital.

Re the blood sugar testing: check the Lazada description. Did you mistakenly order just refill supplies or does the seller description say meter included? Accu-chek brand set with meter will not cost less than 1,000 baht.

If the description said meter and you got only strips and lancets then seller error. Return it for refund and re-order from a different seller. If you mistakenly ordered just strips and lancets, make a second order specifically for a meter.

As for the oxygen bottle I sit, relax for about 5 minutes and my breath comes back to relative normality. I am not plugged in for an hour or so

Tomorrow's plan is to go to the hospital in the morning, talk with the doctor, ask him about my shortness of breath, see if I can rent an oxygen bottle. If it works, fine, if not return it.

Get an FBS, INR and a Hba1c work up which takes about an hour in the lab. I haven't had a test for about 3 months.

I ordered an Accu Chek blood sugar tester, lancets and test strips from China through Lazada, I got the lancets and the test strips but no meter. It is not that important but the pharmacies around here don't carry stuff like that, so that will be another trip to the city on another day.

Perhaps my doctor will send me to the city hospital for further tests and I can pick one up then.

Unfortunately an oxygen concentrator is out of the picture for a while as my son's uni is more important than me.

At 79 no insurer will touch me so, like many other people I have to make do with what I have, rather than what I would like to have.

I doubt if I will post tomorrow as it depends on how long I am at the hospital. Perhaps on Tuesday, unless I have to go to the city hospital.

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

As for the oxygen bottle I sit, relax for about 5 minutes and my breath comes back to relative normality. I am not plugged in for an hour or so

Tomorrow's plan is to go to the hospital in the morning, talk with the doctor, ask him about my shortness of breath, see if I can rent an oxygen bottle. If it works, fine, if not return it.

Get an FBS, INR and a Hba1c work up which takes about an hour in the lab. I haven't had a test for about 3 months.

I have never seen O2 bottles at a Thai hospital,  only tanks (which can be in large or small size).

Whatever it is you buy or rent, the issue of refill remains.

O2 concentrator costs run anywhere from 4- 20k, many available at well under 10,000 baht. Not cheap but hardly akin to cost of university education.

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have never seen O2 bottles at a Thai hospital,  only tanks (which can be in large or small size).

Whatever it is you buy or rent, the issue of refill remains.

O2 concentrator costs run anywhere from 4- 20k, many available at well under 10,000 baht. Not cheap but hardly akin to cost of university education.

I need to turn up with about 10k baht in the next few days just for him to go up to Chiang Rai, look for and book accommodation, buy uniforms, transportation and overnights etc, and books. Add another 35K to that for his first term fees, 15k per month for rent, food, electricity, water, spending money etc and tell me where I can find the money for an oxygen concentrator that I may not even need.

I may not even need oxygen depending on the doctor tomorrow.

This is why I take things one day at a time.

Oxygen bottles and tanks mean pretty much the same thing, only a difference in size.

I KNOW they have them at the local hospital as I have seen them with my own eyes.

I am assured that they are available at the medical shop in the city but I have not seen them as I was not looking for them the last time I was in the shop.

I want to try one from the hospital, before I commit to buying something I may not even need.

Edited by billd766

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Oxygen bottles and tanks mean pretty much the same thing, only a difference in size.

Actually not, entirely different things and it now seems what you meant was a small sized oxygen tank (like the portable sizes). Your use of the term "bottle" confused me.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is for you routine follow up. As I explained, to investigate your shortness of breath, doctor would also need to order a CBC and chest Xray (combined cost maybe 200- 300 baht). Should not change amount of time in lab (still just one blood draw) but the Xray will involve a trip to Xray dept so maybe another 30 - 60 minutes depending on how busy they are.

Doctor should also measure your oxygen level through pulse oximeter. Done by nurse or doctor and  no cost involved, takes   less than a minute.  And he should definitely listen to your heart and lungs with stethoscope. No added cost to that, take a couple of minutes.

If you do not get these checks done, your shortness of breath will not have had even minimal work up for a primary level hospital.  If you do, it will have.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually not, entirely different things and it now seems what you meant was a small sized oxygen tank (like the portable sizes). Your use of the term "bottle" confused me.

I am ex RAF and used to working with 4 very large oxy bottles on a trolley. They were usually a 3 man lift to get the 2 top bottles onto the trolley frame and clamped.

Dropping the large bottle and breaking the neck off was not something you wanted to do with 4 or 5,000 psi of oxygen turning the bottle into something like a torpedo.

We used the same frome trolley for nitrogen as well but both were clearly marked and had different connectors

Fortunately I left that line of work before LOX trolleys came along.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is for you routine follow up. As I explained, to investigate your shortness of breath, doctor would also need to order a CBC and chest Xray (combined cost maybe 200- 300 baht). Should not change amount of time in lab (still just one blood draw) but the Xray will involve a trip to Xray dept so maybe another 30 - 60 minutes depending on how busy they are.

Doctor should also measure your oxygen level through pulse oximeter. Done by nurse or doctor and  no cost involved, takes   less than a minute.  And he should definitely listen to your heart and lungs with stethoscope. No added cost to that, take a couple of minutes.

If you do not get these checks done, your shortness of breath will not have had even minimal work up for a primary level hospital.  If you do, it will have.

Well the good news, is that I got to the hospital and had the blood test for FBS, INR and Hba1c. I am not sure of the result as it possibly in Thai on my next appointment form. I need to wait for my wife to translate it if I am correct. I am not correct, so I have no results from the lab tests

More good news is that I got my daily meds topped up.

I got shunted to a different place where the nurse was asking for my pink hospital book. WTH is that? Something new which is a record of hospital visits. My wife finally got that and showed it and that was it.

Back up to the doctor who talked, as usual to my wife, She left to get the meds and I blocked the entrance until he spoke to me.

It seems as though the hospital USED to hire out oxygen bottles but stopped a while ago as they were not being returned. He suggested that I buy or perhaps rent one and my response was, WHY would I buy one if it is no use? That would be the same for the oxygen concentrator.

I finally managed to get the doctor to use his stethoscope to check my breathing, he mumbled something in Thai and that was it.

Where to go from here I think would be to the big state hospital and request "politely" and order a CBC and chest X-rays. Anything else? That will be sometime this week.

I will wait on the result before I talk to the medical supplier about renting an oxygen bottle set up in case I don't need one.

As usual I take things one day at a time.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Well the good news, is that I got to the hospital and had the blood test for FBS, INR and Hba1c. I am not sure of the result as it possibly in Thai on my next appointment form. I need to wait for my wife to translate it if I am correct. I am not correct, so I have no results from the lab tests

More good news is that I got my daily meds topped up.

I got shunted to a different place where the nurse was asking for my pink hospital book. WTH is that? Something new which is a record of hospital visits. My wife finally got that and showed it and that was it.

Back up to the doctor who talked, as usual to my wife, She left to get the meds and I blocked the entrance until he spoke to me.

It seems as though the hospital USED to hire out oxygen bottles but stopped a while ago as they were not being returned. He suggested that I buy or perhaps rent one and my response was, WHY would I buy one if it is no use? That would be the same for the oxygen concentrator.

I finally managed to get the doctor to use his stethoscope to check my breathing, he mumbled something in Thai and that was it.

Where to go from here I think would be to the big state hospital and request "politely" and order a CBC and chest X-rays. Anything else? That will be sometime this week.

I will wait on the result before I talk to the medical supplier about renting an oxygen bottle set up in case I don't need one.

As usual I take things one day at a time.

If you go to  Naresuan you will not need to ask for these (very basic, even a 1st year medical student should know) jests. Start by just telling them you have trouble breathing. If they fail to order these things you can politely ask f it would help to get an Xray and blood count...but I would expect a University Hospital, where students are being trained to do things correctly, would do so unasked.

Frankly other than as  a source of cheap medication this local hospital does nto sound worth attending.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If you go to  Naresuan you will not need to ask for these (very basic, even a 1st year medical student should know) jests. Start by just telling them you have trouble breathing. If they fail to order these things you can politely ask f it would help to get an Xray and blood count...but I would expect a University Hospital, where students are being trained to do things correctly, would do so unasked.

Frankly other than as  a source of cheap medication this local hospital does nto sound worth attending.

It is however the nearest place for some 65 km where I can actually get to talk to a doctor.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

It is however the nearest place for some 65 km where I can actually get to talk to a doctor.

Doesn't sound like the talking does much good though.

I also live out in the boondocks. Travel 150 km each way when I need to see a doctor for other than really simple things like an animal bite. I don't like doing it and it gretaly aggravates my spinal problems, but I do it. Seeing a doctor who misdiagnoses or fails to diagnosis is not any better than not seeing one at all.

• Like 1